Bob Iger returning as Disney's CEO; Bob Chapek leaving post

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Nov 20, 2022.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Here's to not remembering Iger was the one who led Disney when they bought up Pixar, Marvel and Fox in the first place :D

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

…and now he can dump them on to Apple.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny, I could have sworn I heard that line when people said the same thing about cable in the '80s. :laugh:
    Remember when USA Network started up, and purists were just appalled that now, everything would be just like the (broadcast-based) "Superstations", and commercials would kill cable TV?

We do this over and over again: somebody makes a superior product, somebody goes into competition with them to make more superior product than the market will bear, somebody figures out a way to make the public pay for it...and then ad agencies come along, and commercials worm their way right back into the mix.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

As long as you pay, there's no commercials. Netflix is just trying to make more money and expand their subscriber base. I'm fine with paying for it -- we actually still watch quite a bit of Netflix shows.

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I saw something yesterday that the streaming thing lost $1.5 Billion in the last quarter. That sounds insane given most of the product is already paid for.

Thwacko and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The thing is they have ruined Star Wars so badly that even Star Wars fans don't watch the tv shows anymore. Telling there is no sign of a new SW film at all.

They seem to be doing the same with the MCU with a load of poor tv and film projects. People would go and see every MCU film that came out, not any more. They will claim it is 'comic book fatigue' but that's nonsense, it's 'bad film fatigue'. They created a huge audience and are now destroying it.

The Disney animated films seem to be making huge losses now with some very bizarre decisions.

And in the comics realm more and more people are giving up on modern comics and going to back issues now. A real lack of writing and drawing talent and again bizarre editorial direction.

I guess the parks still make money but they need to really make good quality product that the fans of these things actually want to see.

7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We were going to cancel not long ago, waiting for my wife to finish a series. But surprising to me, they have upgraded their content considerably.

8. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Since I despise Disney, I’m thoroughly enjoying this. :pineapple:

I would love to see them go under but I doubt that’s happening.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

More debt More debt.. this disney dreams are over 70 billion hanging over there head.:D

10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I have a feeling Iger was brought in to smooth out a transition to when Apple buys Disney. Kind of right the ship a bit before the merger.

11. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

... and he looks MAHVELOUS... for 70.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Disney is currently $46 billion in debt, but their market cap is over $180 billion, so they're actually doing very well compared to many, many big corporations. It's a really good question as to what Iger will do to solve this.

BTW, I just found out that they've been paying Iger $10 million a year as a "consultant" since he left, just to give advice to Bob Chapek. Iger was irked that Chapek never picked up the phone to call him for advice in all that time.

Bob Iger was on a $10m consultancy deal with Disney before his return

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I did, as a matter of fact. Twice.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Interesting article about Mr. Iger in Hollywood Reporter today:

Bob Iger at Disney: Hulu, ESPN or Apple Deals Ahead or No? – The Hollywood Reporter

The top 5 rumor/predictions:

1. Disney Sells to Apple
    2. Disney Sells Hulu to Comcast
    3. Disney Spins-Off ESPN
    4. Disney Buys Roblox or Epic Games
    5. Disney Merges With Netflix

I'm going with "Apple buys Disney and Netflix, and merges them all." Stranger things have happened. OK, I'm kidding, but it's going to be interesting to see what Disney does in the next six months.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Clearly they need to start opening Disney Stores back up...this time instead of in malls, next door to Marijuana shops...and sell Groot tamagotchis.

17. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

i think there were 7 planned (2 trilogies and one stand alone) but shelved. one by the makers of game of thrones

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes and a Rian Johnson trilogy that will never happen.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just wanted to pull this paragraph from the article; "The pivot to streaming, which accelerated early in the pandemic before the availability of vaccines, was understandable, but now a lot of good money is being thrown after bad. Disenchanted felt like a particularly pungent example just because of its wide-screen presentation—old-fashioned musicals work so much better on a big screen, so why didn’t it receive a nominal run in theaters before debuting it on Disney+? Over and over again, studios are leaving money that could be earned theatrically on the table, just so their streamers can have an “exclusive” launch. Disenchanted could’ve pulled in tens of millions of dollars at the box office before debuting on Disney+ just a few weeks later."

Except if they did that, the theater chains would only pay out $4.50 out of every $10 it grosses. (The current standard is $5.20)

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is this change going to make any difference at all?

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I will not be watching the new Indiana Jones film. I have the first film on disc. That is goo enough. I was less than satisfied with Ford's performance in the his last SW film. Matter not tome whose fault that was. I'm done with HF.

Boom Operator and The Doctor like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One of the reason the board of directors ousted Mike Eisner in favor of Bob Iger was because Steve Jobs at Pixar much preferred dealing with Iger. Let's also not forget they bought the Muppets in 2004. Iger is an interesting man.

I think it will in terms of how much money Disney makes (or loses).

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

most of the new movies seemed to be controlled by outside influence...they are drowning try to please certain groups with the biggest mouths...I would not shed a tear if they vanished...Disney's true identity is gone...at one time everything they released was golden...now the golden goose has fled the coop..sad.

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And angry people vote with their dollars.

As specially when it is the guy who started it...

So in influenza...

There was much hope that the franchise would return to its roots, after enduring the Prequels.

Number Seven was headed in this direction, even though it was looking like a rewrite of Number Four.

Number Eight put things franchise in the toilet... Number Nine was the FLUSH!

Very bizarre indeed...

Long gone it appears...

Yes it has...

[​IMG]

Should have had one if these!

Boom Operator and longdist01 like this.
  25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah and we pray for the day Mickey Mouse comes out of copyright, and we can make new cartoons where engages in kinky bondage with Daisy Duck and Donald and Pluto...then kills Road Runner in a jealous rage.