Bob Irwin Credited on New Johnny Cash SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoura, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member Thread Starter

The new Multichannel/Stereo SACD of "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison" appeared a few days early today at Fry's Electronics stores. Price is $16.99.

Interestingly, Bob Irwin is credited with producing both the Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes. He also did the recent Stereo SACD mix on the new Multichannel/Stereo SACD of Carole King's "Tapestry".

I guess Sony is getting him involved in their SACD reissue program. Interesting.

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I can't tell. Are you happy about this or sad about this? :confused:

3. bmoura

There are a lot of Bob Irwin fans out there. So I thought this was a signficant development.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Brian,

Just bought that one at Fry's in Palo Alto. There are 3 copies left.

I actually went to Tower in Mountain View to check out the rumour on AA that they were reducing the SACDs at the checkout - well, not at that store they aren't.

It was 15 mins before 9pm so I thought I'd get to Fry's before closing time, but wasn't really expecting any developments. The Johnny Cash was a surprise.

I'll put it on after a couple of SACDs to warm up the valves - "Time Out" right now.

Regards,
    Metralla

5. bmoura

Yes, I picked up one at Fry's Palo Alto earlier today. An interesting disc.

6. Andy

Andy New Member

Johnny Cash in multichannel ?:( Can the apocalypse be that far off?

7. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I have one of those prison albums on quad 8-track....it's fun to hear cold-blooded murderers in the rear speakers:)

8. Djose

Djose New Member

sacd prices

I went to Tower to browse....

I picked up Forget About It by Krauss on hybrid disc to A-B it to a standard CD
    $17.99 from Rounder, $19.99 at Tower. They even mark up Naxos discs and
    label them on sale...

Djose

9. feinstein

feinstein Member

Bob Irwin is also credited for "Prepared for release by" on the Sony/Columbia CD remaster from last year. It's my opinion that Sony is mastering everything onto DSD and then preparing CD's and SACD's from the same sources. I'm going to try to find the SACD of this album tonight and I'll do a listening comparison between the CD and SACD.

10. feinstein

feinstein Member

Bob Irwin Credited on "Tapestry"

Irwin is not credited on the stereo SACD release of "Tapestry" released last year. It was remastered by Vic Anesi (spelling???). He did a marvelous job on it. I wonder if the stereo version on the multi-channel SACD is the same???

11. bmoura

Re: Bob Irwin Credited on "Tapestry"

That could be. You are right that the new Multichannel/Stereo SACD of "Tapestry" has more detailed credits than the earlier Stereo SACD only version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.