• Bob Marley would have been 70 today •

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, Bob!

Geordiepete, nitsuj, mmars982 and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Happy Birthday Bob!! :love:
    I'll spark one up for you..

3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Means he was 28-29 when he hit it big in the mid '70s.

5. amoergosum

"2015 is looking like a great year for Bob Marley fans.

The reggae legend would have turned seventy this year and, to celebrate the occasion, the late singer's estate will be releasing a wealth of previously unseen and unheard material.

The first release will be the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack "Bob Marley and The Wailers - Easy Skanking In Boston '78," which will feature two historic live shows from Boston's Music Hall in June 1978.

The footage that makes up the performance was shot by a fan, with gaps in the video (which occurred when the cameraman was changing reels) replaced with animated sequences set to music.

Throughout the year, the estate will also be overseeing deluxe editions of Marley's most memorable albums.

Robert Nesta "Bob" Marley was born February 6, 1945 in Nine Mile, St. Ann Parish, Jamaica, cutting his first single "Judge Not" in 1962, aged just 17.

After teaming up with Peter McIntosh (Peter Tosh) and Neville Livingston (Bunny Wailer) to form The Wailing Wailers (who later became simply The Wailers), Marley and co travelled to London to release debut album "Catch a Fire" in 1973.

After releasing album "Burnin'" in the same year, Marley split with his bandmates, calling in a new backing band, who recorded 1975's "Natty Dread," "Rastaman Vibration" (1976) and the seminal "Exodus." (1977)

"Exodus" remained on the British charts for 56 straight weeks, and netted Marley three UK hit singles, "Exodus," "Waiting In Vain," and "Jamming." It was also named Album of the Century by Time Magazine.

After racking up single hits including "Is This Love," "Satisfy My Soul" and "Redemption Song," Marley passed away in Miami on 11 May 1981 from cancer complications. He was just 36 years-old.

"Bob Marley & The Wailers - Easy Skanking In Boston '78" will be released through Universal Music on 17th February 2015
    "

Source:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...rformance-footage-of-Bob-Marley-released.html

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

7. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

8. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

A modern prophet, Robert Nesta Marley. As true and pure an artist and musician as there ever was, is or will be.

Is there a life that hasn't been touched by Bob's Positive Vibrations?

amoergosum likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Speaking of Positive Vibrations:

Live if you want to live! HBD Bob!

Jimi Bat likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Happy Birthday Bob !

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12. Wow..I'm wearing a Marley T-Shirt and I had no idea it was his Birth day.

Happy 70th Robert Nesta Marley

amoergosum and Scope J like this.
  13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Happy 70th Birthday Bob! You are, and remain, one of my favorite musicians ever and a truly wise man.

Yes, and he'd been going at it since he was 16, in 1962.

His first public performance was even earlier, at the age of 10 (I think) he sang the mento song Don't Touch Me Tomato for a competition and won a pound. The guy was a very, very talented, driven musician, and also a very good businessman. He is so much bigger than other reggae musicians because he wanted to be.

The Wailers did some great ska tracks, but really hit their stride in 1967, and didn't let up from thereon out. A true legend. And a shoutout to Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer who were integral to the sound of Bob's recordings with The Wailers (and their own) in the Wailers for 10 years (1963-1973).

14. amoergosum

"Marcia Griffiths & Judy Mowatt in Kingston, JA @ Bob Marley 70th Birthday [2/7/2015]"
    >>>

15. amoergosum

"Ky-Mani Marley - Concrete Jungle in Kingston, JA @ Bob Marley 70th Birthday [2/7/2015] #MARLEY70 "
    >>>

16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Peace Bob. :shtiphat:

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I visited his apt building in London this past Christmas where he lived in '72. Gorgeous. My guess is back then it was not how it appears today. Love the historical plaque placed there.

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Listening to Boston '78 on Spotify.
    Amazing stuff.
    I don't think the guy could hit a bad note.

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I just read about this today and ordered the CD+Blu-ray for $20 shipped from Amazon US Prime so I can get it in time for the week-end, can't wait! Love all things Marley. I hope the expanded editions of albums (they're all faves, they should ALL get expanded editions...not a bad studio album in there) feature new 5.1 Blu-ray mixes by Bob Clearmountain, the work he did on the 5.1 mix of Legend is brilliant.

20. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Long live Bob. Sadly, I had to quit pot long ago, so I can't honour the day as it should

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

And he's still attracting new generations of fans as the years go on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.