Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Jul 27, 2018.

1. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Thank you both for your replies :)

notesfrom and Wally Swift like this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Sure, I mean it's not what I'd call bullet-proof but totally acceptable. And the outer mailers were the stronger plastic type not paper.

3. Wally Swift

Superb job on the packaging! All CDs are easily removed from those slots and are without marks of any kind! Can't wait to start listening!

4. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and mine from Amazon UK arrived only in that box with no other packaging. I wonder if those in other countries ordering from Amazon UK get extra packaging?

5. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

This is the Amazon US description for this box set this morning. Hilarious!
    I started reading it and thought “Wow. She was diverse!”

Description

With a 40-plus-year discography including church-bred R&B, proto-Latin soul, Motown hits, and blinding funk, The Isley Brothers Featuring Ronald Isley are finally venturing into the world of seasonal sounds with I’ll Be Home For Christmas, now on red vinyl. With production by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, and a loyal fanbase, I’ll Be Home For Christmas will surely prove to be on the true bright spots of this Holiday selling season.

Check it out

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Stone Turntable, Mr. H and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Wally Swift

Sounds sweet!

7. Wally Swift

16. Mississippi Delta [Alternate version]*

Oh hell yeah!

The Killer, oxenholme, AndyB and 4 others like this.
  8. Wally Swift

13. The Seventh Son [Band version] [previously unreleased]

:righton::righton::righton:

Very timely as I'm on a Georgie Fame kick lately!

AndyB likes this.
  9. Wally Swift

@AndyB When the tracks originate from TV broadcasts is what we are hearing sourced from the archived videotape or were separate audio recordings made of the musical performances and are these the sources? Thanks!

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Amazon has them up for pre-order!!!
    $79.69

11. DollyFan1990

DollyFan1990 Forum Resident

I just ordered a second copy from Amazon US because...well, idk why. I just wanted a second copy!

12. Cause CDs only last a thousand years or so :tiphat:

Graham, DollyFan1990 and audiomixer like this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mine is supposed to arrive from the UK on Monday.

RSteven and DollyFan1990 like this.
  14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I’m glad you had good luck. Two out of my three most recent orders have arrived destroyed.

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Wow, very disappointing! Sorry to read that. Never had issues.

16. Wally Swift

I still have two more on pre-order from Amazon US. Definitely getting one more, I may just get both and see what happens a few years from now value-wise. This set is already the stuff of legend.

17. Wally Swift

@AndyB is the stereo mix of Apt. 21 a mix you recently created from the multi-tracks or did this exist already in the vault? I am going to compare it to the stereo Japanese single I sent you the scans of very soon. At least to confirm that the Japan single is in fact stereo.

melstapler likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Usual crappy Amazon packaging. One crumpled up paper and the box sliding around :rolleyes:

Luckily nothing happened to the set. Everything is perfect.

This set is really a nice late night listen. Im a big fan of Julie London. Bobbie Gentry reminds me of a swampy version of Julie combined with a dash of Dusty.

This set will get a lot of play.

19. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Hi Wally, All of disc 8 are transfers from videotape apart from tracks 13-17 which are from an off-air source. The BBC recordings on disc 2 and 6 are from acetate.

20. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Hi Wally, I mixed this from the multi track, as the track usually appears on 7" and comps etc in Mono- would love to know if the Japanese 7" is a stereo pressing. :)

RSteven and Wally Swift like this.
  21. Wally Swift

^^^Thanks Andy!

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

OK, I am relativity new to Bobbie Gentry and this set is my first real delve into her music. I have mentioned elsewhere how wonderful the set is, and some of the CD's I have listened to more than others so far (not even made it to the BBC set yet), however my first impressions are thus:

• I am really enjoying all of the albums so far...the first 3 and Patchwork are phenomenal. Haven't listened to BBC yet and only listened to Fancy the once. Production on all so far is astonishing
    • I am actually really enjoying the Glen Campbell duet album much more than I thought I would....thought it might be a little naff, but they blend together really well and I can see me playing this much more than I expected...the real surprise of the set.
    • Not very Keen on Touch 'Em with Love on the first few listen....but then again the bonus tracks on this CD just blow the original album away...there are some gems on this disc.
    • Which leads to.....what record company in it's right mind doesn't release tracks of the quality of some of the bonus material on these discs??
    This has been a wonderful investment so far.

23. Wally Swift

Glad to hear this. That's the one album I've never actually heard although I do own it. It was the last BG album I bought when I binged and just never got around to listening to it.

melstapler, RSteven and Kiss73 like this.
  24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Glad you are enjoying! As a long-time Bobbie fan, who bought the albums as they were released, I must say that when I first got "Touch 'Em With Love", I was somewhat disappointed after the fantastic "Local Gentry", but once I accepted Bobbie as more of a "pop/soul vocalist/stylist", as opposed to a "singer-songwriter", I enjoyed it immensely. I think that "I Wouldn't Be Surprised" is a soulful, underrated gem in her discography.

For the record, I never got the duet album with Glen until much later on, as I didn't think they sounded good together when I heard them sing together (perhaps on his TV show). I still am not wild about it.

melstapler likes this.
  25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Box set of the Year. And that's against very stiff competition.