Bobbie Gentry - The Windows of the World (RSD 2021 Exclusive LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DollyFan1990, Apr 18, 2021.

1. DollyFan1990

DollyFan1990 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

BOBBIE GENTRY
    THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD
    UNIVERSAL
    JULY 17, 2021

1. SUPPER TIME
    2. GOD BLESS THE CHILD
    3. SINCE I FELL FOR YOU
    4. HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY
    5. I DIDN'T KNOW (DEMO)
    6. HUSHABYE MOUNTAIN (ALTERNATE TAKE)*
    7. STORMY
    8. THIS GIRL'S IN LOVE WITH YOU
    9. SAVE YOUR LOVE FOR ME
    10. THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD

*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED​

Bobbie Gentry found herself at a crossroads as 1968 drew to its close: Both of her previous solo LPs The Delta Sweete and Local Gentry, had underperformed, but her commercial fortunes had been restored with the duets album Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell. Capitol Records were keen to maintain this renewed popularity and didn’t intend leaving anything to chance on her next LP; Bobbie understood a new direction was called for, and whilst a further bid for the mainstream was a given, there was clearly some hesitation as to where this new direction should go. Bobbie was at the vanguard of the emerging female singer-songwriter movement, but in her youth the successful female performer was best embodied by the easy listening jazz diva.

At some point in the autumn of 1968 Bobbie decided to re-cast herself as a sort of Mississippi Julie London and in a series of sessions beginning at the end of the year and running through to March 1969, she cut a laid-back album of classic and contemporary jazz tunes that was sadly abandoned before it had a chance to see the light of day. This was a shame, as Bobbie proved herself as adept in this genre as in any other. No information survives on the musicians involved, but the tracklist provides a fascinating insight into her musical taste and the artists she was listening to, who ranged from Billie Holiday to Barbra Streisand and took in Lou Rawls, Nancy Wilson, Lenny Welch, Dolores Gray and Dionne Warwick along the way.

Recorded at the height of her ill-fated love affair with producer Kelly Gordon, (who had worked on her first four LPs) the song selection is an unusually romantic one for Bobbie whose own discography up to this point is notably lacking in romantic balladry. Sadly, their relationship floundered before The Windows of the World could be completed, and the album died along with the romance that had inspired it. These surviving recordings, first issued on The Girl from Chickasaw County boxset, are a lasting tribute to both their working relationship and a satisfying document of their love affair.

Mixed and mastered by Andrew Batt (@AndyB), the eight original recordings are supplemented by a previously unreleased version of "Hushabye Mountain" – which may have spearheaded the idea for the album, and Bobbie’s first composition not in her usual Southern style; "I Didn’t Know".

Collectively, these 10 songs are among Bobbie’s best recordings of this period and exude a sophisticated, intimate, late-night sound that she would sadly not attempt again. So, pour yourself a drink, turn down the lights, and let the girl from Chickasaw County sing to you about what she sees through the windows of the world.

This LP was produced exclusively for Record Store Day 2021 and will be released as a part of the second drop on July 17.

Sources:
    The Windows Of The World – Bobbie Gentry
    https://recordstoreday.s3.amazonaws.com/2021/2021_RSD_DROPS_PUBLIC.pdf

2. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Thank you....thank you..... thank you, RSD can't come soon enough for me this year.

ex_mixer, Francis P. and DollyFan1990 like this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

About the only RSD release I have any strong need to acquire. But this is a "first" not a "limited" isn't it? So it should be available going forward as I don't plan on getting up early and driving an hour to stand in line on the chance I get there and the shop has a copy or two.

DollyFan1990 likes this.
  4. DollyFan1990

I'm not sure if it's just a first run or limited just for RSD, but Andy did tell me that the US copies won't have a download card, so I'll for sure trying to get a European copy like I did for the Live at the BBC LP.

pghmusiclover and lazydawg58 like this.
  5. lazydawg58

Anyone know if this is a "first" rather than a "limited" or "exclusive"? I do not want to go stand in line unless I have to.

Smiler likes this.
  6. DollyFan1990

Just sat down to give this a spin and it sounds fantastic and the packaging is GORGEOUS!

7. DollyFan1990

As of right now there are no plans for this to be pressed again. It's likely to be the same as the Live at the BBC album from a few years ago.

8. lazydawg58

After I posted that I eventually found that it is a "First" so while there may be no plans to press it again I would think that if demand is strong they might well do it. Would they not?

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Beautiful cover, but nothing like the art department at Capitol was creating at the time.

Record Rotator and Saint Johnny like this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, although I like the cover quite a bit, it’s not the same as doing it in Capitol’s house style. Would have been awesome. That’s definitely my preference for “lost”/“unreleased” albums.

troggy, Record Rotator and ianrf like this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

No standing in lines for me! Picked a copy up in the afternoon when things got quiet.

Missed the Rory release but got this ( which I played and is superb bar a little questionable points re the physical pressing) and the half speed master John Martyn. Again not the best pressing physically. Maybe pressing plants have lost the art of putting out fault free vinyl?

12. Gordon Johnson

Looking to get the album spinning a second time after the back gardens sorted.

I found it a very intriguing presentation of a lot of familiar material.

Jspmike likes this.
  13. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I couldn't get to my local record shop as I'm self isolating until tomorrow. I believe he still has a copy. I already told him it was the only thing on my wishlist but he's strict about not reserving anything until after the day. I recall he ordered Live at the BBC for me after that RSD and therr was stiĺl stock available

I think pressing something for RSD that is only available in an expensive CD box set is fair enough. I'm sure it's overpriced but then so is everything on RSD.

lazydawg58 and Dubmart like this.
  14. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Is the stand-up bass distorted throughout your copy? It almost sounds like a unused snare drum is vibrating along with the bass. Or did I get a bad copy?

15. Gordon Johnson

Same on mine, seems to be on the left.

Not sure if this is a mastering issue or a pressing issue.

The vinyl is noisy in parts, at one point on Save Your Love For Me I was thinking how I have 50 year old records that play quieter.

Not really a problem past paying premium prices for records these days and they are mastered from digital file. Cheap as chips to manufacture like this.

16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

No, I didn't notice any such thing on first play, but I wasn't listening specifically for it. I'll spin it again tonight.

Does your listening room generally handle bass well? What you're describing sounds somewhat like a bass node.

Here is a stream you can compare against your vinyl:

17. Gordon Johnson

Think it was on Heres That Rainy Day.

18. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Yes, same as mine. Thank you!

19. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

So the issue is present on that one track, or "throughout" the album (which is what Johncan asked)?

BTW my pressing is quiet as can be. If yours is noisy, you should get a replacement.

20. Gordon Johnson

Just the one track for me.

Replacement RSD? Not that easy if the shops dont have replacements.

Had a none fill issue on a Traffic RSD a few years back, couldn't get a replacement on that either.

As I said earlier, the art of pressing vinyl seems to have been lost. Plants are under too much pressure to get this stuff pressed up it seems corners are being cut.

And just to say I'm using an upgraded, modified Michell TT, SME 309 / Delos for playback today.

WHMusical likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't have the LP. I listened to "Here's That Rainy Day" on YouTube and the drums are on the left. The drummer is playing brushes and playing accents with one hand while rotating around the drum with his other hand (typical for jazz brushes). Any chance that is the "distortion"? Also seems to be leaking a little into Bobbie's vocal in the center.

22. Gordon Johnson

I'd have to go back to the head phones to be really sure but I'll spin the track again in a few thru the speakers. Just doing the Martyn album for the moment.

WHMusical likes this.
  23. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Let us know how the John Martyn album is!! (I guess, in another thread?) My friend scored me one of those in Utah, but I won't get it for weeks!

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

"Throughout" may have been an overstatement. It is on more than one track for me. My speakers are Bozak Symphonies and they reproduce bass very well. My room has has treatments to control for a bass node.

25. Gordon Johnson

Right, went back for a listen as most of my comment was based on the first listen yesterday thru the 'phones.

More accurate comment now thru the Harbeths.

No bass distortion at all.

Problem with me (outside of noise here and there which is not static) sits on I Didn't Know and not the previous track I mentioned a little earlier.

Upper register between 1.45 and 2.00 mark, the last instance sounds like sibilance but the previous couple of times it crosses the stereo image like it was panned.