Bobbie Gentry - The Windows of the World (RSD 2021 Exclusive LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DollyFan1990, Apr 18, 2021.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Personally I wish @AndyB would arrange breakout vinyl from the Richard and Linda Thompson set

(and I'm sure I've tagged him a good half dozen times in similar posts now!)

AndyB and lazydawg58 like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am guessing that Andy and Universal have to get approvals from R&L for any breakout releases… perhaps it’s easier with Bobbie since she doesn’t have a say (or care) what the label does?

I’d love to know some “dirt” but I imagine @AndyB must have to sign some non-disclosure agreements to get to work on projects like these! We are fortunate he shares what insider scoop he can with us!

ad180, AndyB and lazydawg58 like this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Why wouldn't Bobbie have a say? or not care? I know she shies away from the spotlight but I wonder if privately she plays some role? Did she sell all here claims to here music? Just wondering?

4. MrCJF

I get the impression that the permissions were a lot harder for the Thompsons set - akin to pulling teeth! I think Gentry signs of on these things too, but she isn't worried about reissues eclipsing current projects that she needs to create and promote.

Still, I demand Andy goes back to RT and doesn't leave him alone until he agrees a vinyl release of the complete Rafferty sessions! Then of course he has to do the same with Linda. Can hell freeze over twice?

Francis P., AndyB and pghmusiclover like this.
  5. MrCJF

I came late to the Bobbie Gentry set, but I think this is discussed in the long thread - AndyB made quite a few contributions to that thread.
    Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

6. pghmusiclover

Bobbie’s last album was from 1971 — 50 years ago! Isn’t that some copyright limit before the recordings become public domain?

7. MrCJF

Not sure of the law. I think some recordings revert from label to artist after recording copyright expires, but that may be just a contractual arrangement. Publishing expires and becomes public domain after a time - but usually a time after the writer's death.

AndyB likes this.
  8. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

thank you! you got the point of it :) I wanted to give this album it's own identity away from being bonus tracks on the boxset and RSD seemed the perfect way to do it!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  9. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

its not meant to be. Its meant to be a twist on the blue-note style

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And with that goal, it gets things right :)

RSteven and AndyB like this.
  11. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

I don't think the 'Capitol style' would have captured the vibe of this album at all, and so I didn't see the point of tying to imitate it. instead I wanted a riff on the Blue Note style which I think suits it a lot better. Artwork doesn't always have to imitate the original era- infact sometimes i think it's better that it doesn't - like with my boxset cover. Just as the music is re-presenting her to a new audience in a way she wasn't at the time, the artwork also represents her in a way that is perhaps more fitting than the way she was depicted at the time.

12. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

so glad you are loving it!

lazydawg58 and NapalmBrain like this.
  13. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

glad you are enjoying it, and patience is a virtue ha ha

14. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

thanks! so glad you are enjoying it- and the sleevenotes!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  15. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

thank you :)

pghmusiclover likes this.
  16. Remember that box of Linda and Richard was only licensed for the UK as I recall

17. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

quite so. Its a case of demand and supply, and I personally find it really heartening that there is new interest in Bobbies unique music, after years of her being stuck in bargain bin compilation hell. If that guy isn't happy to come a long for the ride then that's fine, but he should stop criticizing this release because it is bringing pleasure to a lot of music lovers and that's rather the point!

18. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

watch this space...

19. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

So glad you are liking it. Ever since doing the boxset, i wanted to give this lost album it's own identity, away from being just bonus tracks on the boxset, and RSD seemed the best way to do that. Its an interesting enough project to reach the unconverted and get them into her. I think the set holds together really well, and is actually a strong album. Its tempting to ponder on what might have happened had she completed it and it came out. Oh and thanks for starting this thread :)

20. pghmusiclover

...patience is overrated! Please, please, please tell us more :D

Francis P. likes this.
  21. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

and @MrCJF There might be some Richard and Linda breakout releases, they aren't anti the idea. Actually I have something coming out in December :)

yardbuzzard likes this.
  22. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

hopefully I can mention it really soon. I was actually asking about the exact when yesterday so...

Francis P., RSteven and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

It's great to hear unheard Bobbie Gentry but these tracks were not well recorded. They sound like demos or rehearsals.

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I personally have zero interest in hip-hop, and will probably never buy a hip-hop album on vinyl for the rest of my life, yet I would never dream of proclaiming that labels should stop pressing hip-hop on vinyl, so they can crank out more Bobbie Gentry and Beatles records and other records I personally appreciate.

One would think people would grasp that their personal tastes and interests are not universal, and, short of a planned economy, there’s no way for anyone to decree which music, old or new, gets space at the pressing plants. Again, music fans will ultimately vote with their wallets.

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I couldn’t get this title at my local stores on RSD and was really bummed.
    I did find it on line for 27.99 at a site called Rough Trade.
    Received my shipping notice..

AndyB and lazydawg58 like this.