Bobbie Gentry - The Windows of the World (RSD 2021 Exclusive LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DollyFan1990, Apr 18, 2021.

1. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Absolutely. Welcome to my world!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  2. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Sorry to give you anxiety, but i consciously flipped the image- it seems to read better that way, facing out.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  3. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Hurrah! its been a big success, which i'm so pleased about, and its good news for you guys as well, a it means added strength to the re-issue program

4. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Another issue with not doing the Capitol style, is i didn't have a shoot that fitted- Capitol would have done something super glossy for it like the back cover of Touch em With Love, and with the album being unfinished and quite acoustic, that wouldn't have worked, and I actually liked the idea of using an image that was less formal on the cover - thereby making a deliberate correlation between cover and content. With all that in mind, and Val Wilmer the jazz photographer having shot her, I was just in no doubt that a riff on the blue note aesthetic was the way to go.

5. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

This pressing was quality controlled and tested by me, so you definitely shouldn't have those issues; sounds like you have been unlucky and got a damaged copy. This should play like a dream and be flawless. I hope you can sort it out.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

So glad you are enjoying the re-issues- you can feel the love I put into them which makes me happy. And i'm glad you like the liner notes as well.

bigbass, raphph, Ben Adams and 5 others like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Thank you so much. What you have done with Bobbie’s catalog is a dream come true.

8. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The store owner just heard back from the distributor and they are going to refund him, but they didn't have anymore copies. I just put my copy in the mail to him. Since they didn't have a replacement I went on discogs and ordered another at a good price. With shipping it will cost the same as the first one. So the only extra cost to me will be the shipping back to the original brick and mortar. I'm hoping that the new one will indeed play like a dream.

9. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Just wanted to say I got a copy of this last weekend - it's a wonderful release. Beautifully packaged, pressed and - most importantly - beautiful sounding. An instant favorite in the collection.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s just wonderful to see Bobbie follow in the footsteps of the Velvet Underground or Nick Drake or Big Star, and finally begin to achieve some of the recognition and acclaim she should have received decades ago.

AndyB, davenav, lazydawg58 and 4 others like this.
  11. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Same with mine, sending it back to a seller who doesn’t have any replacements. Bought another copy elsewhere, fingers crossed!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Off topic. But In addition to having a nice voice I thought she was DAM pretty.

AndyB and lazydawg58 like this.
  13. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

This is the way I always want to hear Bobbie Gentry and for me this is the reissue of the year.
    Sounds gorgeous and I absolutely love the nod to Blue Note with that album cover.
    I only wish it was longer ...

We lost my brother Jimmy a Vietnam Vet a week ago to the ravages of Agent Orange.
    He told me Bobbie Gentry helped get him through his tour of duty and that her picture was in every barracks in Da Nang in 1969.
    Love and appreciation to Bobbie Gentry for giving those lonely soldiers something to dream about.

Marble Index, Dred, AndyB and 5 others like this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I agree: I’m happy to see Bobbie get some overdue recognition!

AndyB and lazydawg58 like this.
  15. lazydawg58

So sorry for your loss, prayers extended to the family.

spencer1 likes this.
  16. I love Bobbie Gentry and I own the big box, but these are some of her weakest recordings, IMHO. Don't feel too bad if you missed the RSD issue.

17. lazydawg58

We must not be listening to the same record.

spencer1 and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  18. I'm happy you like it. I don't dislike it, but I prefer more gritty stuff like "Fancy".

19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It’s kind of a drag the copies in the USA don’t include a download code…

20. Well unlike those other three acts , Bobbie did have one of the biggest hits of 1967.

I was given her first album for my Bar Mitzvah in 67. The gift of three LPs included Ode to Billy Joe, Surrealistic Pillow and Golden Throat by Bill Cosby. Interesting threesome.

troggy and lazydawg58 like this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

She did, and then her appeal became more selective, as they say in Spinal Tap.

I would also venture to say that in her first flush of success, people paid as much attention or more to her looks as they did to her songwriting talent.

Her back catalog was out of print or hard to find for quite some time.

22. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

That's fine, but discouraging others from getting it is a little over the line.

23. sanmarrb

sanmarrb Forum Resident

If I have the boxed set, do I need to get this release?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

Hushabye Mountain is an exclusive alternate version I believe, but the rest are the boxed set.

AndyB and sanmarrb like this.
  25. lazydawg58

I'd say if thinking of and listening to the music as a specific individual work is important to you yes. If you simply enjoy the songs individually no.

sanmarrb likes this.