Bobby Kennedy for President - Netflix Doc

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jamesmaya, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member Thread Starter

After the family Thanksgiving dinner, I watched the entirety of this four-part documentary on Netflix yesterday evening (although I had not intended to view it in one sitting). I thought it was well made. Some of the archival video footage was incredible. I must admit I had to hit the pause button a few times just to dry my eyes and collect my emotions.
    Anyone else catch it?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, but I will watch this now...thanks for the heads-up.

jamesmaya likes this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Tremendous documentary, and the use of archival footage is indeed very effective. Watching it highlighted both how much and how little things have changed in the past fifty years.

jamesmaya likes this.
  4. This is a must watch for me. I'm not a liberal by any stretch, nor am I very conservative, yet they killed Robert Kennedy because he would have shook things that that "the money" didn't want to see stirred, let alone shaken. I don't believe that John Kennedy was outside of corruption, but Bobby was.

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I added this on Netflix when I first saw it a few months ago. Gotta get around to seeing it.

Darryl

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wasnt aware of this. Thanks for the heads up!

jamesmaya likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't watch it, too upsetting.

sharedon, Vidiot, t-man 54 and 5 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Watching this now. There is a couple of minutes about ten minutes into episode 2 in which Robert Kennedy is at the democratic convention. This was awhile after John F Kennedy had died.

The crowd will not let Bobby speak over their exuberance and cheering. A Kennedy was before them. A we loved your brother and we love you flood of emotions.

The expression on his face is such a affecting moment in time. His face and eyes are at once humbled, sad, empathetic and overwhelmed. The speaker goes up to Bobby when he tries to speak and tells him "Bobby let them go. Let them go on."

Seems he was haunted by the loss of his brother, best friend and partner of dreams throughout the rest of his career. Must have never been the same for him.

A moving moment I had never seen.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    lightbulb, jamesmaya and smilin ed like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Also, I can understand those who were affected and lived the time of Robert Kennedy's death.

However, Id encourage anyone who wants to understand the best part of what a politician can do to watch this. The moments caught in film with Robert Kennedy visiting the desolate south and his political stance and staunchness to fight for the poor and to do what is right are very much the emphasis.

I learned much about the man through this film during a time when this country was torn to hell.

lightbulb and jamesmaya like this.
  10. jamesmaya

Agreed, that was a very powerful scene in the doc. Watching Bobby’s reaction to the thunderous outpour of support and love from the conventioneers, it seemed as if it would go on forever, and for those extended moments the viewer is left to ponder or recall their own personal place within the arc of history that began with the documentary’s premise that “no American in this century has ever been so likely to be president as Robert Francis Kennedy” and which ended after Bobby spoke his hopeful last public words in Los Angeles - “Now it’s on to Chicago, and let’s win there!”

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    lightbulb likes this.
  11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I remember at the 1968 convention they ran a film about him and the delegates just keep chanting "We Want Bobby" and they wouldn't quiet down. Is that in the documentary?

12. jamesmaya

No, that isn’t in the documentary.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was exactly my reaction. But I'll check out the first show just to see how well or badly they did the restoration.

Actually, RFK's last words were "Is everyone OK?" as he was dying. I think it's very telling that even when he knew he was shot, he was concerned about the other people around him.

http://www.ladbible.com/news/politi...ds-revealed-by-busboy-50-years-later-20180603

Even 50 years later, this still leaves me teary-eyed.

ex_mixer and jamesmaya like this.
  14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I've watched that clip so many times, and I cry every time. It's absolutely amazing.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive never really paid attention to Robert Kennedy. His brothers shadow looms so large. This documentary definitely has me exploring what the man was about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.