Bono solo album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grahamstuartcanada, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave” Thread Starter

I think he has done some pretty cool things so far.
    I love jools holland torch version of Velvet dress, craig Armstrong's electronic stay ( I think it was that song) I quite liked the Nebraska reference...it made me think of the deep raspy voice that starts the studio version of velvet dress...I like the electronic side but also wonder about a bill frisell as a foil... he is not the edge but certainly has a sound and would offer even more space. So for me I might like a howie b produced bill frisell and bono - but I may be alone in thinking loops and rich guitar are enough

2. I really liked the version of “Silver and Gold” that he did with Keith Richards. Maybe something minimalist like that.

3. dee

dee Senior Member

Not a fan of the idea...

Talmi K likes this.
  4. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I'm a huge U2 fan but have never had interest in any of them going solo.

Talmi K likes this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Ditto with T-Bone Burnette.

boe and JDeanB like this.
  6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Exclusively on Neil Young's PONO

Geir, JDeanB, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  7. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I think there was a time when Edge could have done a Frippertronics type album.

tengram and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

He should do a Sinatra covers album ala Dylan so he can bore the next generation.

I prefer Bono with plenty of bombast. Maybe he could get Greta Van Fleet to back him.

9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That makes me think of the excellent Sinead O'Connor album of traditional Irish songs. Something as good as that would be fantastic.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  10. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Sharon Robinson did great things for Leonard Cohen.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Bono with Flogging Molly might suit.

This performance with Clannad is one of my favorite Bono performances.

LilyMarz, willy and BeSteVenn like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Is he really constrained in U2? I always assumed he did all the lyrics . . .

Unless he has some hidden passion for something so uncommercial that U2's label would reject it unreleasable as a U2 album, I don't see the point.

13. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

It would be nice if he collaborated with Julian Lennon. He’s good friends with the band so it would be great if he finally did something with at least one of them. God Part III anyone?

CassetteDek likes this.
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

It's like Jagger doing solo records. Not the same without his band. Although I would give it a listen.

15. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave” Thread Starter

fair enough but i think the torch version of velvet dress, that's life, two shots of happy offer some suggestion of a new direction as did poster who thought stripped down nebraska might offer a direction...

16. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

I've never felt a Bono solo album was needed very much, but if he's going to do one, there's no point if it's just alt-U2. I'd welcome something very left-field and unexpected that's authentically Bono but not just a mild spin on the same stuff he's been doing for decades.

That said, this is my nightmare. We've already had to suffer Sinéad O'Connor's Sean-Nós Nua - don't inflict a Bono trad album on us, too!

Talmi K, petem1966 and culabula like this.
  17. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

As a U2 fan, I selfishly hope Bono sticks with the band…. Hopefully he realises the band are irrelevant to younger audiences ( sad but true ) and that they are now in a position to be creatively free without the deluded need to be ‘the world’s biggest band’.

Talmi K and Grahamstuartcanada like this.
  18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Or work with Midge Ure and call it "Bono-Vox".

Hope it's better than Stipe's solo songs.

Also keep in mind that Bono can't play acoustic or electric guitar anymore. I think they travelled with his set up since 2015 for soundcheck but it was not used or seen during shows.

19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Cripes no lol. That's the last thing I want to hear him do.

culabula, Vox78 and rfkavanagh like this.
  20. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Not something we need to worry about, thankfully. Bono has always been ‘respectful’ rather than enthusiastic of the genre.

sunking101 likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Thank you. I can’t think of much more unpalatable.

22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Bono Ono No No.

Krzych likes this.
  23. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

It would be interesting. I’ve always thought The Edge is the really strong musical force in the band. A Bono album could go in any direction but I would be surprised if it was an big sounding rock album. He has written a lot of personal songs in the band and U2 often struggle to complete an album so I don’t think there is decades worth of material he has been dying to put out.

24. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

[​IMG]

dirkster likes this.
  25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Or the Plastic Bono Band.

dubious title, petem1966 and Haristar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.