Book vs Movie/Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, May 13, 2022.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It seems kind of quaint that Benchley thought he needed to provide any sort of justification for a public official to place revenue ahead of public safety.

Ignatius, altaeria and Khorn like this.
  2. uzn007

The Jaws discussion makes me think that you'll probably find more examples among trashy or semi-trashy novels that aren't considered classics in their own right. I've never read the book, but apparently the classic French gangster movie Rififi is based on a super-trashy novel.

3. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Books about gangsters were very popular in the early 70s, due to the success of The Godfather and The Valachi Papers, among others. I suspect Benchley dropped in the Mafia subplot to help sell the book. It reads that way, at least.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Magic -Anthony Hopkins...The movie was better than the book.

Khorn likes this.
  5. Michael

I agree but I'd say a great movie!

Khorn likes this.
  6. uzn007

That makes sense. "Fish novel? What are you, crazy? Throw some gangsters in there and you've got yourself a deal!"

Khorn and altaeria like this.
  7. Michael

glad they did as it adds nothing to the movie..."Bruce" is the star not a cheating wife.

8. 2001 immediately comes to mind. And To Kill A Mockingbird is a toss-up, love both the book and film.

Khorn, ssmith3046 and Juan Matus like this.
  9. Too late to edit my post above but also Planet of the Apes. The book is very good but it’s quite different than the film so if I had to s]choose between the two the movie wins.

Khorn, timind, Danny Coffin and 2 others like this.
  10. Michael

Little House On The Prairie...love the series best!

Khorn likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'd say the same, but my two would be these:

The Dualists, based on a story by Joseph Conrad. Much as I admire Conrad, I thought the movie better at evoking atmosphere and benefitted from the beautiful visual presentation.

The Wrong Box, based on a short novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. Here, it's a case of exaggerating the comedy to the level of delicious camp. When I finally found and read the original source, it seemed a bit flat by comparison.

12. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I normally prefer the book to the film. 2 exceptions would be "The horse whisperer" & "Palomino".

Khorn likes this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember reading The World According to Garp and eventually saw the movie. I have the DVD now and don't think I'd want to see the book again.

Khorn, Michael and Juan Matus like this.
  14. Michael

the same for me...when I first saw POTA at the movies it was mind blowing on screen but not as much when I read the book...

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  15. Michael

that was a great movie...I enjoyed the book, but the cast of the movie was perfect and it really moved well!

16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I've never seen a movie version of a book I've read that I like better than the book itself.
    Well, Maybe John Huston's "The Bible" because it didn't include Deuteronomy and Numbers. :laugh:

Dave S, Khorn, Ignatius and 1 other person like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There are several sections/subplots in 'The Godfather' book that were indeed wisely left out of the movie.
    The whole side trip into Vegas with Lucy Mancini and Johnny Fontane is garish.

Khorn and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

I want to see it all... everything deleted and added in the series...I can't get enough...EVERYTHING that's filed away on the shelf, closet, vault, etc... a super deluxe mega killer edition! on 4K and Blu-ray!

Khorn and fr in sc like this.
  19. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The book is brilliant, but the movie is no slouch either. I love them both.

timind, Khorn, conjotter and 2 others like this.
  20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I don't doubt that someday in the near future there will be a limited series adaptation of 'The Godfather' featured on some streaming service that will incorporate all the elements of the book.

Some will scream heresy, others will embrace it as being better than the movie(s).

Khorn, uzn007 and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

I'll be in the second group for sure!

Khorn likes this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Generally, books are better. I agree.

Two most important examples I think are The Last Temptation of Christ and Jurassic Park. Kazantzakis and Crichton wrote very noteworthy books that were not remotely done justice by the respective films. Didn't hold a candle to the books.

Unbearable Lightness of Being was very close, I thought. But Forman doesn't like his film and Kundera doesn't particularly like his book, from what I understand. Still my favorite performance by Daniel Day-Lewis. He may have technically had some better roles, but none that were as enjoyable.

Khorn likes this.
  23. Michael

Jurassic Park the movie was far more entertaining than the book of which I read and quite enjoyed. BUT seeing the Dinosaurs on the big screen was priceless! BLEW MY MIND! especially the T-Rex! like wow, man...

Khorn likes this.
  24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You wrote Forman. Did you mean Phil Kaufman?

Khorn and GregM like this.
  25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I haven't read Robert Bloch's Psycho, but I've heard the Hitchcock movie is better.

Khorn likes this.