Booker T & the MG's Complete Stax Singles Vol. 1 (1962-1967) coming in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Aug 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Just curious - does the vinyl come with a download card?

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No it does not...

JuanTCB likes this.
  3. Yeah, this one's high on my list. It trumps the Abbey Road box for sure.

scotti likes this.
  4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I am listening right now and loving it. Quiet vinyl and that great mono single mix vibe. Dry, tight, nice bottom end. Steve's guitar leads are right in your face!

scotti, Electric Sydney and John Fell like this.
  5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

CD on its way to me :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

My copy of the CD version arrived a few days ago and I'm very happy with it. Great sound and good liner notes, and at a very reasonable price.

azideam, Hep Alien and scotti like this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I bought a copy and had the darnedest time trying to press the record down on my turntable as the spindle hole is too tight. Later, I looked at the matrix numbers in the deadwax and noticed this was pressed at Rainbo.

One track on side 1 plays with a little background noise, the rest of the side is relatively quiet. Some noise between tracks. Hell, nothing is perfect, especially coming out of Rainbo.

8. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Record 1, right? Mine was tight, but workable. Record 2 was fine for me.

I had some minor noise at the top of side 1 for a few moments, but the rest of the set was fine - glad this one worked out.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Correct, record 1

10. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

it's a great set, and a nice companion to the Stax Instrumentals MG's/Mar-Keys CD from "way back" in '03, containing a lot of stuff that had either not prev. been issued, or at least in the U.S.

Winter Snow on the '65-67 singles is really cool and interesting--and I assume the only song by BT & the MG's written by Issac, AND with him on piano!

(I haven't finished the liner notes, but did notice they referred to the Bar-Keys at one point--an honest juxtaposition, I suppose, of the Bar-Kays and Mar-Keys. Somebody has to proof. THEN, somebody else has to proof!

A great set all-around. (I've sometimes wondered why, given how they always seemed so busy and "starved" for material to release, why they never put out any of the co-writes Booker did with William Bell . . . some very nice melodies there, and it would've kept the publishing in-house, and/or with Booker and William)

11. I just ordered this. I found it for a good price ($32 shipped). I can't wait to listen to these 45 rpm mixes.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I really enjoyed this set. I hope you will too.

13. +1

John Fell likes this.
  14. Ha! Ha! Ha! I love it. I have most of their albums from the 1960s already--all except two are original. My original copy of the first Booker T. & The MGs lp is not in as great a shape as I would like, but the quality of the vinyl was better back in those days. I'm hoping a lot of songs from Soul Dressing are on this singles compilation.

As far as their albums, I love Melting Pot, Hip Hug-Her, and Soul Limbo. The mono Hip Hug-Her sounds terrific. I paid fifty bucks for it but I can say it was worth it. I freaking love those b-sides. They didn't get played as much on the radio. Has anyone ever listened to the Booker T. & The MGs live at Monterey Pop?

Hep Alien, sharedon and JuanTCB like this.
  15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I had just started playing the cd yesterday when this thread popped back up. I must say I was expecting more different sounding material given there is that much content (25 tracks, with B sides). But it sounds so great!

Rockford & Roll and Hep Alien like this.
  16. I finally listened to this yesterday. I am very happy with my copy. Very quiet vinyl, and the tunes are awesome. There are no duds on this set, and I like the b-sides as well. Even the three Christmas songs on the last side sound good. I can't wait to hear volume two.

John Fell and Hep Alien like this.
  17. John Fell

Yes and there are some non-lp b-sides from the later material but I think they have all since been reissued on compilations now.

18. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

I bought what I think was the last copy in stock at Acoustic Sounds, and I am so glad I did. What a great double-LP compilation! I really hope volume 2 comes out in the future.

John Fell and Rockford & Roll like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Agreed! Bring on Vol. 2!!!

20. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Yes! Where is Volume 2???

John B Good and Hep Alien like this.
  21. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

AMEN

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. John Fell

IMWAN • [2021-09-03] Booker T. And The MG's "The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 2: 1968-1974" (Real Gone)

[​IMG]

Description
    We already brought you 29 of the 49 single sides The MG's recorded for Stax on The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 1; now we're back with the other 20, assembled -- —for the first time ever!— -- after a painstaking search for the best sources available, and, like on all of our singles collections, carefully vetted (by engineer Aaron Kannowski) to ensure that the versions you're hearing are exactly what disc jockeys were spinning off their 7-inch singles on to the airwaves back in the day. In this case, that means the first 15 songs on this CD/2-LP set are in mono, the last 5 stereo, all discographically documented in meticulous fashion by liner note writer Ed Osborne, whose essay maps every move Booker T. & The MG's made during the late '60s through the early '70s and beyond. But most of all, The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 2 (1968-1974) is one incredible listen, featuring such classic songs as "Time Is Tight," "Soul-Limbo," "Melting Pot," their versions of Domenic Frontiere's "Hang 'Em High," The Beatles' "Something," and Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson," a bunch of hard-to-find B-sides, and more, all played by basically the best band that ever lived! Go ahead and pick your poison: either buy this on CD or on a 2-LP set pressed on red vinyl and housed inside a gatefold jacket. Either way, you will be the proud owner of some of the greatest and grooviest R&B instrumentals ever recorded.

Tracklist
    1. Soul-Limbo
    2. Heads Or Tails
    3. Hang 'Em High
    4. Over Easy
    5. Time Is Tight
    6. Johnny, I Love You
    7. Mrs. Robinson
    8. Soul Clap '69
    9. Slum Baby
    10. Meditation
    11. Something
    12. Sunday Sermon
    13. Melting Pot
    14. Kinda Easy Like
    15. Jamaica This Morning
    16. Fuquawi
    17. Sugarcane
    18. Blackside
    19. Neckbone
    20. Breezy

CD
    Booker T. & the MG's - The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 2 (1968-1974) - Amazon.com Music

2LP Set (Red Vinyl)
    Booker T. & the MG's - The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 2 (1968-1974) (2-LP, Red Vinyl) - Amazon.com Music

Looks like Vol. 2 is coming in September

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I have the 2 LP set of Vol 1, so this will have to be added to the collection to keep that one company. Thanks for posting this as I was not aware of this release yet.

24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yay! Thanks for this welcome news!

John Fell likes this.
  25. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing! Excited this is coming out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.