Bookshelf speaker suggestions; good efficiency with low-cut bass

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dlb99, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello folks,

I am looking to change from an 5.1 AV setup to a mid-fi stereo setup.
    Amplifier will be 50watt Audiolab 6000a.
    Sources will be: modded Oppo 203, Nvidia SHIELD, cable-box etc digitally into 6000a.
    Subwoofer will be: Martin Logan Dynamo 800x with inbuilt Anthem room correction (ARC).

So am looking for a particular kind of bookshelf speaker that will pair well. Characteristics I am after:

- Roughly LS3/5a sized (or a tad larger)

- Around 88/89db efficient

- Not extended low frequencies, rather I would prefer bass that cuts off at around 80-90Hz with a relatively step ascent. Noting the Dynamo subwoofer will fill in the low-end

- No V-curved frequency response, no boosted treble, ideally a neutral presentation

- Ideally works ok near the front wall (10-15cm)

- Real wood finish

- No horn drivers, no Klipsch speakers (I don't like the upfront sound)

- $1900USD / $2500 AUD absolute max limit

Note, the subwoofer will be dialed in under the natural limit of the bookshelf, no active or passive high-pass filtering since I want a simpler setup AND I can not afford a good active cross-over (like the JL Audio CR).

Very few contenders from what I can see. Most bookshelfs extend the bass as far as possible by driving down efficiency. I want the opposite, less bass and more efficiency, but still with good tone (warm side of neutral preferred).

Harbeth P3ESR, out of my budget, efficiency too low.
    Kef LS50, too much bass, efficiency too low, many folks say 100watts min is needed.
    Spendor A1, almost ideal, but efficiency too low.
    Proac Tablette, 86dB, almost but not quite.
    ATC SCM7, too inefficient, tone likely too revealing.
    Monitor Audio Silver 50, 87dB, but that may be goosed.

The only contender I've found is the Rega RX1, 89dB, much less bass than LS50 (according to Hi-Fi Choice review), real wood. However, the reception to this speaker has been mixed.

Any other choices?

Cheers.

2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Would the Polk LSiM 703 be a possible consideration?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. dlb99

Too big, 42cm high and 37cm deep is very far from LS3/5a sized (30cm high by up-to 20cm deep).
    Too much bass, -3dB is at 50Hz.

Note, Rega RX1 at 34cm by 26cm would be max size I could support.

Thanks.

4. dlb99

Bump.

5. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Hi, have you tried any speakers that seem to be rated as low efficiency with your amp? My Dynaudios are rated at 86db and my 25 watt digital amp drives them perfectly well at normal-loud in a small-medium room. It replaced an amp that was rated at 75 watts. Also, with regards to bass, if you do get speakers that go fairly low, can you not just set your sub to your desired crossover so the speakers don’t go as low they can anyway? I don’t have a sub, but my friends sub is connected at speaker level, and whatever the highest frequency it’s set at, the speakers stop there.

6. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Infinity Kappa 5s if you can find them. They're pretty light on bass, sealed so okay close to the wall, legendary for it's time Emit K tweeter. Great sounding pair of bookies. Use leftover money for a crossover refresh. They have less bass than their specs would have you believe.

7. dlb99

I am wanting the room correcting subwoofer to take on bass duties preferably up to 80hz. So I’d prefer a good bookshelf that trades efficiency (more) for bass (less).

8. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Magnepan Mini Maggie System (3-piece):
    A pair of ribbon/planar magnetic dipole desktop panels and a DWM planar magnetic dipole woofer module.
    Slightly taller and wider than LS3/5a.

9. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Don't Maggie's do poorly up against a wall?

10. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

The panel speakers will produce no bass if placed flat against the wall. But there is a bass panel. Magnepan has a web page showing different scenarios.
    Magnepan Mini Maggie System

11. dlb99

Yes, in the ballpark.
    But does not look to be in production at the moment.

12. dlb99

Definite no to Maggies. Firstly due to size, I want LS3/5a sized (or a bit bigger). A panel speaker would be an absolute no go.

Also, I want efficiency because I want to sometimes rock loud. Maggies are very inefficient, and can not be put near the front wall.

13. dlb99

Would the Dynaudio Emit 10s be an option?

86dB (supposedly).

However, I have often read that Dynaudio's typically need:

- lots of power (100W or better)
    - lots of space due to rear-port
    - not so good at lower volumes

But, many reviews are positive.

No wood finish either, I love a good walnut finish. But that could be sacrificed if need be.

14. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

15. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Paradigm Prestige 15B ?

16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Castle Richmond speakers (or Castle Knight 1), I think they're on version IV now. The right size. 88db sensitivity and bass drops off steeply below 100hz.

17. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

18. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Ascend Acoustics new speaker - Sierra 2EX

I drive the regular Sierra 2s to very high levels in my 14x20 room with a 40wpc NAD. I don’t have an SPL meter, but it definitely can get too loud to carry on a conversation.

They also sound very good at low volume. They have an even frequency response and smooth, yet still detailed highs from the RAAL tweeter. Almost 2 years later I’m still thrilled with them every day.

They’re on sale right now for $1500, so even after international shipping you’d still probably come in under budget.

heavysoul and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Here ya go: Satori Ara 2-Way Speaker Kit- Pair

Kit comes with cabinets - very easy assembly.

You're not going to find speakers of LS3/5a size with >87db sensitivity unless maybe it's a horn-loaded full range driver. Even then, it's doubtful that true sensitivity would be over 88. AN gets to inflate their sensitivity specs because they expect owners to corner load them, however, doing the same to any speaker will increase it's real-world sensitivity.

Now if you move up to a medium-sized bookshelf speaker like my JMR Bliss Silvers with 7" cones, you can get into the higher 80s. Part of why they claim a sensitivity of 90db is their use of low-hysteresis surrounds, i.e. low stiffness and mass. Still, I'd bet their anechoic sensitivity is really only 88 or 89db.

Here's another possible option for you (keep in mind you can probably get an easy 15% discount):
    Tannoy Autograph Mini Loudspeaker (each)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Russell K Red 50?

Described by my local dealer as follows: -

Following hot on the heals of the Red 100 (featured lower down this page) the Red 50 is a smaller design that shares many of the same ingredients that make its bigger brother so successful. The small cabinet is about the same size as the famous LS3/5A, but there the similarities finish, as the 50 has wider bandwidth, greater dynamics as well as a much more engaging and natural sound. If you are looking for a very compact speaker with an expansive sound, then we can highly recommend the Red 50.

The speakers are available in various different finishes......

Dimensions: Height 30cm, Width 20.4cm, depth 20cm

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I used Tannoy DC4s for a few years which were excellent. Fine for rocking out, but very refined for the most part and belied their price. 86db (I think). See also, if you can get them, Audiosmile Kensai.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  22. dlb99

Yes, this is a speaker I also happened upon recently. It meets many of the criteria.

Amazing value for money due to Chinese economies of scale.

Do you have the Knight 1? Thoughts?

23. dlb99

Almost perfect if they had gone with a simpler 2 driver design. The frequency suck-out between 2-4kHz looks brutal.

24. dlb99

The System Audio Mantra 5s sound like they would have been almost perfect:

SA mantra 5, compact speaker. Click to read more | SA

[​IMG]

- LS3/5a sized
    - 88dB
    - Can go close to the wall
    - They claim 47Hz low-end, hmmm, possibly too much, also possibly a lie, you can't have efficiency and bass from such small speakers.

But out of stock, likely stopped being made :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.