Bookshelf speakers for studio apt.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by resonantFrequency, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

Avantgarde speakers for a studio apartment.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Ah, the older model. Good speakers. They were superseded by the HS5s.

3. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Should you decide to opt for powered monitors again, these are great speakers at a great price. They are being discontinued for an updated version.
    Currently $349 at Crutchfield, Amazon; were $499. Also check out The Klipsch Sixes, pricier but bigger, more powerful and more sophisticated at $799.

If you choose the AVR/passive speaker route, an entry-level Yamaha is a good way to go. As far as speakers go, there are so many sub-$1K bookshelf choices deserving an audition, it is almost impossible to suggest any one in particular (I bought a pair of RP-160M's on closeout). As Helom stated
    above, truly good <$1K floorstanders are few and far between. Actually, he mentioned the same speakers I would have; the Q 3050i and the Klipsch
    RP-260F/280F's do offer a great bang for the buck. I love a bargain.

Best wishes in your hunt. (and, oh yeah, this hobby can get crazy expensive!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. resonantFrequency

resonantFrequency Active Member Thread Starter

The options are quite overwhelming. Klipsch Sixes look interesting, and they have a digital input as well.

5. I think people are going WAY overboard in their recommendations, given your intended use and your space. Powered speakers are fine and probably the best option for you.

The Audioengine speakers I am linking below sound great, look beautiful, have all the connections you need, and none of the complications. They are in your budget and have fantastic reviews. Plus, the company has great customer service, founded by ex-Apple engineers:

Audioengine HD6 (Walnut)

Guth, H8SLKC and resonantFrequency like this.
  6. resonantFrequency

Based on what I've read, I'm gonna go with DAC + Powered monitor route.

DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, unless there's a cheaper alternative.
    Monitor: Leaning toward Focal 65 but I might also audition Neumann KH 120. The latter is relatively expensive but I'd like to see if there'd be a significant difference.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. DAC Magic Plus is old tech and is almost discontinued—retailers are probably just selling off old stock. If you are set on getting an outboard DAC (which IMHO is completely unnecessary) I’d go for something’s but more up to date.

8. resonantFrequency

That's a problem being a newbie. Hard to assess suggestions. But your suggestion seems similar to Klipsch Sixes but cheaper. I'll check that. Thanks!

9. resonantFrequency

The only reason I'm opting for a DAC is to have optical connection, as others have pointed. If my powered monitors don't have an optical input, do you think I'd be fine with just my TV's headphone out?

In any case, my plan is to see for myself if a DAC makes a difference and then return if I don't think it's necessary.

10. I hadn't considered powered speakers..... interesting. I will soon be downsizing and looking at bookshelf/stand mounts.

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Dayton B652 Air.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’m genuinely interested, what would some of these more up to date dac/preamps be?

resonantFrequency likes this.
  13. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Taking care of the newbies. This thread makes R-T warm and fuzzy inside. Well done!

bmoregnr and resonantFrequency like this.
  14. Brother_Rael

The DACMagic is fine, especially for the OP's needs if he's looking at optical out from the TV.

Alternatives might be the Teac or Project Box designs, or for more, the likes of Audiolab's M-DAC.

Active speakers (or powered, if you're not going down the properly active route) are a good solution for the contemporary audiophile IMO.

rodentdog and bmoregnr like this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Welcome to the fold friend! :righton:

16. There are tons of choices. The aforementioned Pro-Ject DAC with the ESS 9038 chip, for one. Teac, to0. DACs from Nuforce and Nuprime. The Chord Mojo. DACs from Schiit.

bmoregnr likes this.
  17. Also, iFi and NAD have DACs with a lot newer technology.

bmoregnr likes this.
  18. resonantFrequency

Your post just made me think of a potential problem with DACs (at least with the models I've in mind). Since my TV has only digital and 3.5mm out, if I use digital to connect to my DAC, then I won't be able to control the volume using my TV remote. This is a major usability problem.

Seems like I'd be better off with an AVR in this case. This is based on my assumption that a digital out will sound much better than a 3.5mm to RCA connection. However, the spec for Focal 65 (which I'm planning to buy), says:

So I wonder if I'd be all right with connecting the monitors to the headphone out.

19. Some DACs and speakers have remote volume, and they would make the issue regarding the TV remote moot.

In fact, the HD6 I linked above has a remote control. Other DACs and speakers are controllable through iOS and Android apps.

20. The KEF’s are a good option, too.

21. As are these.

22. Brother_Rael

23. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Look on Craigslist for some used speakers to stretch your budget. I know there are a lot of speakers for sale on CL, especially in the NYC area. And they'll be broken in for free :)

resonantFrequency likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael likes this.
  25. Brother_Rael

Yep, just remembered that. Not so hot at 7.40 in the morning...(some might say that regardless of the time of day)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.