Bookshelf Speakers - Urge To Upgrade Soon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nearys Epiphany, May 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nearys Epiphany

Nearys Epiphany Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've owned a pair of PSB Image B25's for about 11 years now. Very inexpensive speakers for me at the time (I think I spent about $450 for the pair) but they sound really great. I've enjoyed the heck out of them for the last decade. But....times have changed and so have I. I'm getting the urge to upgrade to something a bit better.

Floor standers are out of the question as my space isn't very large and these are just for casual music listening. I want to keep it under $1,200 or so....wondering if this would buy a noticeable upgrade from the Image B25s?

Here's what I've looked at the seem nice (I don't have the ability to audition):

Dynaudio Emit 20 $999
    PSB Imagine B $825
    B&W 606 $899
    KEF LS50 $900
    ELAC Uni-Fi BS U5 Slim $856

Crutchfield has a pretty good return policy so if I don't like one pair I'd just swap for another. But, before I do that does anyone have an opinion about these speakers, and would it even be worth upgrading from the B25's I already have? They do sound really good even 11 years later.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What's your amp?

3. Nearys Epiphany

Excellent question! I was going to save that for later as I have an entire upgrade path mapped out....for when I have the extra funds hidden from my wife.:)

Currently I'm using an Onkyo TX-8050 network receiver which I have also had for about a decade. I was thinking about getting the Marantz MM7025 eventually. I really don't have a need for the networking features of the receiver anymore.

4. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I had the Ascend Sierra 1 in my main system for a few years and I loved them.

Tim S and Nearys Epiphany like this.
  5. Nearys Epiphany

Thank you. Those do look nice. I'll add them to the list.

6. Benzion

Then settle on the speakers you like first, and then buy the amp to suit them later.

Ken Clark likes this.
  7. Nearys Epiphany

Do you think the Marantz MM7025 that I mentioned before would pair well with any of the speakers I listed?

8. Benzion

BTW, the footprint of bookshelf speakers on stands is the same as compact towers. But, you may feel the need for more bass, and will wind up buying a subwoofer later.

With carefully chosen towers, you may get all the bass you need w/o a sub, so it may cost cheaper in the end.

Besides tower speakers may be easier to drive than bookshelves, because of increased efficiency due to larger internal volume, all else being equal.

I'm partial to Wharfedale. Personally, I own the Diamond 10.7 towers, and cannot recommend them highly enough. But if it must be bookshelves, 225's, Dentons, and Lintons all have good reviews.

Wharfedale has a different, warmer sound signature, in general, than PSB, and I own both - listening to Image T-45 towers right now. I like both, but if I had to chose only one, Wharfedale it would be.

9. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

I used that amp with a pair of Warfdale stand-mounted Evo 2-way speakers until I replaced them with Yamaha/Chartwells. The Warfdales were entirely pleasing and did everything anyone who had not heard Chartwells would want. They easily fit within your budget. You would be happy with them.

bhazen and Nearys Epiphany like this.
  10. Benzion

I have zero experience with Marantz gear, so cannot comment here.

But again, you are putting the cart in front of the horse. If you are planning to upgrade both, first choose speakers, and then an amp that suits them well.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Nearys Epiphany

I agree, the speaker decision comes first. That is why I only asked about speakers in my OP.

The Wharfedales look interesting, especially the Dentons. I'll put those on the list.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  12. Nearys Epiphany

Good info, thanks! Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers are 50% off at music direct right now for $499/pair. Have you heard those? I wonder how they compare with the full price Wharfedale Evo's at full price $899

13. Schwinnparamount

I haven't heard the Dentons. Keep in mind that manufacturers charge for the build quality and components they put in speakers. My guess is that the Dentons will have a good sound but not the same sound as the Evo speakers. I bet you would be fairly happy but my advice would be to grit your teeth and hang on to your current rig until you have a 3x budget for speakers. My experience is that your system will get the biggest bang from excellent speakers. Be warned though, a really good speaker will encourage you (much to the detriment of your wallet) to upgrade amp too.

14. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

The Wharfedale Dentons are always "50% off", $499 has been the price almost forever. That said, they are nice sounding (I have a pair in my office) and a good value at 499. They are also really pretty!

Nearys Epiphany likes this.
  15. Nearys Epiphany

You mean 3x budget as in $1,200 x 3 or $450 x 3?

For me, $3,600 for speakers would be a tough pill to swallow.

Also divorce papers.

SteelyNJ and Benzion like this.
  16. Schwinnparamount

yeah $1200 x 3. I spent about that on these Chartwell LS6 speakers. I didn't think I would love them as much as I do. My son who isn't an audiophile by any stretch has made intelligent comments about them. I even bought a new $2k music appreciation chair because I now spend so much time groovin to the incredible sound. Yeah, a 3x budget increase is a lot but you get a lot for it.

And my wife allowed it because I got a bonus this year and also a 2nd job as an art model. I saved for a couple of years and was extra nice to the trouble-n-strife before buying. She's a sweet and even tempered woman but it still took a bit of work to get her to sign off.

17. Nearys Epiphany

I hear you. I think I just have different priorities, surely there must be some "inbetween point" between $450 speakers and $3,600 speakers. I guess I could go to $1,500 - $1,600 but that's probably all I would ever spend on a pair of speakers. There's also the amp I need to upgrade, and I have a few ideas about the digital server too :)

18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

19. Benzion

Ah, the benefits of being divorced...

I need no permissions from anyone. :tiphat:

20. Nearys Epiphany

I thought about those but they are pretty big. I dunno. Back in the day I received a pair of AR15's from my dad as hand-me-downs and I listened to them till the woofers disintegrated. I loved those speakers. The Lintons kinda look like them and are pushing my nostalgia buttons a bit. I think I'm starting to get a little analysis paralysis....maybe I'll tape all these different speakers choices to the wall and throw a dart.

21. Schwinnparamount

Use bubblegum. Tape is so pedestrian. And if you have a favorite flavor, you get the fun of chewing 4 pieces before sticking

22. everton

everton Forum Resident

Different speakers will give you different sounds, depending on how their designers voiced them. If you like PSB sound, you can move up to a higher model. The KEF LS50 should give you similar tonality, but its midrange emphasis takes some getting used to. I have not heard the B&W 606, but based on the reviews that I have read, I think it will sound slightly brighter than the KEF or PSB.

23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I suggest you keep what you have and block all audio websites in your browser.

24. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

How about a pair of KEF R3s? As great as the LS50s, but even greater. With the R3s, you won't need a subwoofer. They can deliver scary bass. Both are excellent value for the money. I love my R3s.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

OK, so now we have to switch the thread onto the topic of just WHAT KIND of dart. "six nines metal"? feather or nylon? Should the dart be a biampable design? Lighter or heavier?

Nearys Epiphany and Benzion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.