Booksmart (2019 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

People may be talking about it, they sure as hell are not going to see it.

The box office is a Domestic Total as of Jun. 11, 2019: $18,404,318. Against a 19M production budget.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well...true, there were no guns...and no one with any 'super-strength' of any kind....
    Two strikes, right there........

3. SandAndGlass

It was just a movie that they spent too much money on, budget wise. It could have / should have been made on a 5M budget. It takes place in real time, in a real school scenario that takes place largely in real time over a 24-hour period, mostly at night in local locations.

That kind of production cost was simply not necessary to do a movie like this.

In the end, it was just another movie. It got it's shot in the theater's, it did not perform well and that is all there is.

Nothing much more to add.

4. My wife and I saw it in a theatre last weekend (we're both about 50 years old, FWIW), and I thought it was a little meh. Overall I'd give it about a 6/10. (Some of it was closer to a 7, but a lot was closer to a 4 or 5.)

My wife liked it a little better than I did, but I'd have to ask her if she'd give it an all-out 7/10. (And actually, now that I'm typing this all out, maybe I'm more inclined to give it a 5/10, and would guess my wife would give it a 6/10).

If I were 20 years younger, perhaps I might have liked it better.

Neither my wife nor I are "party" people, so that's a factor (as much as our ages).

Deesky and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Previously I mentioned Lady Bird and I was expecting this to be as smart, my daughter did think Lady Bird was very close to the truth, made with great affection and very funny.

My daughter's out of the equation at the moment, she's just finished her degree and she's gone to Amsterdam for the week, now that should be fun.o_O

I'd met up with my daughter in Leeds and our waitress, another Leeds uni student, who hadn't even heard of Booksmart, recommended Fighting With My Family as the film to see and we both thought that was very good.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Lady Bird" was a very different animal than "Booksmart". It was much more of a coming of age tale, whereas "Booksmart" just wants to be an update on the "one crazy night" formula.

Sure, it has "lessons learned" as well, but it doesn't attempt the same broad scope of "Bird".

"Lady Bird" is a considerably stronger film - it's really very good. "Booksmart" is fine but other than its emphasis on female leads, it doesn't really separate itself from the other "crazy night" films...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Pastafarian

Yep that's the fundamental problem I went to the wrong film, after failing to do due diligence, I thought it was another 'independent' film:doh:.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. vince

Whereas, I went, thinking I was gonna HATE all the 'millennial-esque' trappings, and wound up laughing my a$$ off!
    Who knows, maybe it was aimed at an 'old-y' like me......

9. SandAndGlass

Fighting for My Family was one of my favorite movies this year. And, I don't even care for or watch wrestling.

Check out this post that I previously made. I have an interview where Paige is appearing along with the cast of Fighting for My Family. Florence Pugh, who plays Paige in the movie really looks and appears like the real Paige.

It is based in a true story. The girl on the left, is the real Paige and on the right is Florence Pugh who plays her.

The movie is so not a Hollywood studio production and has an authentic real feeling.

[​IMG]

Completely a well done movie.

This is about a very (real) human story, which happens to center around wrestling. You don't have to have any interest or appreciation in wrestling to thoroughly enjoy this movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Pastafarian

You're spot on, I would normally make fun of WWF but I thought the film treated it with respect and gave you an insight to the hard work you need to do, perhaps a good analogy would be ballet with violence.

The end showing the real family made you realise how true to life it was, although the brother in gaol, wasn't.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Regal app just alerted me that they're bringing Booksmart back to the theaters this Friday.

lbangs likes this.
  12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Just saw Booksmart on dvd. Didn't know anything about the movie. But I'm kept thinking Molly looks and sounds just like Jonah Hill.

13. vince

I believe they're related.....

14. Oatsdad

Brother and sister!

15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Turned it off 20 minutes in. Everyone just seemed superficial, narcissistic, obnoxious, elitist and dull. And I could care less the two stick up their asses never got a chance to party.

All the politics was played as fashion with no context. Like a Clash photo.

SandAndGlass and James RD like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I give it a big meh. Only saw it because of the hype, figuring it might have hidden depths, but no, not really.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. I wanted to like it better, I really did. I didn’t hate it, but it wasn’t anywhere as close to as good as I was hoping. Not a 3/10 or 4/10, but as I said, maybe a 6/10 at best.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I rented it digitally for £2 from Amazon. It covered ground already covered by other movies. Enjoyable and amusing but that's all I would say for it. It's just too done before without bringing anything new or quirky to the table.

6 out of 10.

SPOILER:
    What did she say when she jumps in front of the car at the end? I re-watched it about six times and the subtitles didn't work. Was she still leaving for Africa and the flight was delayed? Or did she blow it off?

19. Oatsdad

- Oh, ****!
    - ****!
    - What the **** is wrong with you?
    - [yells]
    - I was going through a thing!
    - [yelling and laughing]
    - You weren't... You're...
    - Aah!
    I was going through a whole ****ing thing!
    What the ****?
    - I can be the last one on the plane.
    - What's wrong with you?
    You wanna get pancakes?
    ****, yeah, I do! ****, yeah!

Mylene and Somewhat Damaged like this.
  20. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

That line totally got lost in the squealing and it has important info in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.