Borders Coupon (part 2)*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by hbbfam, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I had a great experience at Borders/Liquidators today. Bought $50.00 worth of CDs I was surprised to still see in the store. I thought I'd be lucky to find even one that I wanted, but I found several for five or six bucks each. Some had been added since the last time I was there.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Every Barnes & Noble I've been to in the past year or so has had a dedicated Nook station at the front of the store. CDs and movies are in the back. Why change that? The CD/movie sections in these stores are much larger than are needed for a Nook display.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

B...but...where will I buy my Criterions at half off!?!! :cry:

4. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I paid what will probably be my last visit to the Columbus Circle location and definitely my last visit to the Penn Station store. The Penn Station store is pretty much done, barely anything left. There was a sign somewhere in the store that said, "Last Two Days" so I guess that means tomorrow it will be completely done anyway, not that there will be much to buy. I did find a mammoth street atlas of the Chicago metropolitan area that was marked down to $4.99 and with the Borders discount was something like a dollar.

The Columbus circle store still has some stuff, although their selection has been significantly reduced from even last week. I found a Civil War book about the battle of Pea Ridge for something like $8 and a book about the assasination attempt on President Reagan for about $6 or 7. I also found on DVD the first season of Tim and Eric's Awesome Show for $6. I bought a whole bunch of The Executioner Mack Bolan books for a $1.50 each. I might return there early next week but I guess there is no overwhelming reason to do so.

Tonight I will pay my last visit to the Atlas Park store in Glendale, Queens. I hope there will still be a deal or two there.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never say never.

someday you might not have a choice!

6. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Big score of CDs (pardon my elation!)

Today at the local Borders on its next-to-last day of business, with actual cash (well, a credit card), I bought these 16 CDs (which were 90% off [prices that follow are the discounted prices]):

Dion's BRONX IN BLUE ($1.90); Jimmy Eat World's INVENTED ($1.20); Eliza Gilkyson/John Gorka/Lucy Kaplansky's RED HORSE ($1.80); Bright Eyes' THE PEOPLE'S KEY ($1.50); the Watson Twins' TALKING TO YOU ($1.80); Kim Richey's WRECK YOUR WHEELS ($1.50); Alejandro Escovedo's STREET SONGS OF LOVE ($1.90); Charlie Louvin's THE BATTLES RAGE ON ($1.60); Teenage Fanclub's SHADOWS ($1.50); K.T. Tunstall's TIGER SUIT ($1.90); Eli Paperboy Reed's COME AND GET IT! ($1.30); the Gin Blossoms' NO CHOCOLATE CAKE ($1.60); R.E.M.'s COLLAPSE INTO NOW ($1.90); Peter Rowan's THE WILD STALLIONS ($1.30); Pegi Young's FOUL DEED (includes the DVD "Love Like Water")($1.60); and Brendan Benson's MY OLD, FAMILIAR FRIEND ($1.40).

Total including tax = $27.43.

THE BEST PART (found at the bottom of the charge slip): "You Saved $231.14"!!!

The moral: Use the link in post #637 (big thank you to GregK for this help) to see when your Borders will close. You might get lucky too.

2nd best part--every CD that I held in my hand a few days ago at 60% discount was there today! :goodie:

7. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

nice score!

That's the wild card aspect in all this. Which CDs will still remain if you opt to hold out for that higher discount. Some you'll win, some you'll lose. You just never know.

8. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

the atlas park store in glendale still has some finds.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought some gift-card for birthday at B&N today. Unfortunately, B&N is the only game in town when it comes to B&M bookstore nowadays. I like the location of the old and now shut-down Borders store better ... :sigh:

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

When I was in my local Borders a couple weeks ago there was nothing of interest to me left that I wanted and I said it wouldn't be worth driving to the other two within driving distance. Today, I was out on business near one of those other Borders. So, I stopped in. It was mostly "cleaned out" already and had the remaining CDs up front in a couple of bins. So, I decided to go through them and I did see one thing of interest. It was the limited edition digipak of Asia's 2010 album Omega with 1 bonus track. I figured, "What the hell! I'll buy it for that price." Got it for about $5.00 and saved about $12.00. It was a totally "blind" buy as I hadn't heard any of the songs off that album yet or read any reviews. I have no idea if I will like it or if any of the critics liked it. It's not a priority listen for me. So when I got home, I threw it on the pile of unopened CDs I have yet to listen to that aren't high up on my priority list.

I saw nothing else of interest. They sure had plenty of christmas CDs (like my local Borders,) mostly Susan Boyle, Aretha Franklin, Celtic Groups, and Sting's If On A Winter's Night (they had at least 50 copies of Sting's left.) I almost bought it but, if I remember correctly, it received poor reviews and the reviews sounded like it was something I probably wouldn't like. So, I decided against buying it.

No more trips to Borders are necessary.

If I had room in my house for more furniture, I would've bought a couple shelves to store some of my CDs and DVDs. But I don't (too much junk as it is.) I sure could use a couple more shelves though. I have CDs and DVDs stacked in corners and stuffed in plastic storage bins, not to mention stacked on top of my stereo rack system and stacked on top of the CDs on the top row of my CD racks, which are already full to capacity.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, my local Borders is nearly over, 4 days left and in my last visit to the store (as Borders), everything was picked over, especially in the music department. The good news, at least for my few friends that still work there, is that my Borders is about 99.5% guaranteed to become a "Books-A-Million", which means that they get to keep their jobs (at least for now), till THEY go out of business, which is expected in the next 5 years.

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

Is this official? As mentioned by KeithH, my local B&N installed a Nook section near the main entrance at least a year ago, and kept their existing CD/DVD room near the back.

14. Yes, the plans have been handed down and will be implemented in the next few months. From the circulating information, approximately 50% of all Barnes & Nobles will be losing their media sections completely for a bigger Nook presence. There will be no clearance, existing stock will just be shipped to the remaining stores with media sections. Apparently high-traffic stores will be the ones mostly converting to the Nook section.

This is supposedly going down in October or November, before the next Criterion sale. I am sorry to be the bearer of this bad news here.

15. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Made the last trek to my nearby location, which still had a surprising amount of non-obscure CDs and DVDs (but only one that I wanted/didn't already have). Hoping to make the trek to another, bigger location on Sunday. I also noticed in another shopping center that that location of Books-A-Million is closing, which I hope means they're moving to where Borders is but I doubt it. The biggest bummer for me is gonna be foreign music magazines like Mojo, Uncut, Record Collector...I love getting them when the cover story interests me but that only happens about 2-3 times a year so I can't subscribe. Barnes & Noble is a half-hour drive in a not-so-great area and ordering individual issues from the UK is too expensive.

16. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up - at least we won't be surprised when the change occurs. While I preferred Borders for cds and box sets, B&N often has the DVDs I am looking for.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I wish we could get back the excellent hardware store that was torn down when the Borders (now closed and empty) was built. Now all we have is Lowes and Home Depot (which are ok if you need some Chinese goods).

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How much longer can True Value Hardware hang in there? These mega-stores are wiping out all the mom and pop stores ...

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just like Best Buy/Borders wiping out most of the mom & pop record/CD shops back in the late 80's/early 90's....

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Regarding Barnes & Noble, I find it ironic that they are giving up floor space for items that don't compete with the Nook -- music and movies. You would think they would reduce their stock of print books to make room for the Nook.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yeh , that is a bummer , i guess Buying them online with the free shipping .....just not as much fun ...... they don't serve Coffee online:shake:

I agree about the Nook , making space for that is only gonna stear people to buy the Books online & less walk-in traffic ..... i see what they are doing , Preparing for some closings & getting more online sales when that happens ..... ME NO LIKE! :realmad::confused::shake:

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I don't know if this is chain-wide but the location I went to today gave an extra 15% off if you bought 10 or more books (including bargain books). When I walked in a saw the sign I figured there was no way that would ever happen, but this location was incredibly well-stocked and I came up with six books (not all "must-haves" but stuff I was interested in). I picked up a couple titles for family members and ultimately, the discount essentially gave me half the books for free.

The discount applies to the entire purchase, but only books count toward the 10.

23. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

Interesting. The one by me had signs posted along the lines of, "buy 6 of any combination of books, dvds & cds and take an additional 15% off your order total".

24. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Today was my local store's last day. Everything was a quarter a piece. Resellers and hoarders cleaned out most of the decent books and all the music before I got there, but I did find a handful of books worth trying out at that price.

25. I will say that liquidations are much less fun now with the widespread advent of professional resellers on eBay and the Internet. Every year it gets tougher and tougher to buy anything at significant discount at these type of sales, when stores are picked over immediately. It definitely was not like that 15 or 20 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.