Borders Coupon (part 2)*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by hbbfam, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Basically the only thing left last night at our local store was dozens of Sting's If on a Winter's Night - picked up 4 for .25 each... somehow couldn't resist. Some guy was actually calling up used cd stores from his cell phone asking if they would be interested in purchasing the remaining stock. Not surprisingly they didn't, but he still bought a couple handfuls.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Uh, yeah. Used CD stores are just begging for copies of Sting's latest. I'm sure he'll make a fortune.

3. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

Just purchased 6 more discs today, after 6 yesterday (6, in order to get an extra 15% off after the initial 80% discount off).

I'm officially done. And perhaps my very last new CD purchases I'll ever make in a physical store.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Seriously, I haven't seen that many copies of the same disc, since Best Buy's Guns & Roses last album, fiasco. That Sting disc alone, could have killed the financial worth of BORDERS. The last time I was in my store, all they really had left was that Sting CD and about a hundred copies of Bristol Palin's book and I'm not sure if they could have given those away, for free?

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I guess you didn't stop in a Target when the last Prince album came out. Stores had an end cap filled with that album for weeks.

So people bought up the Susan Boyle CDs at your local Borders? That's surprising. ;)

6. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Last night I stopped at the Columbus Circle Borders since last Friday they still had some merchandise and I figured I might find some more deals at the tail end of the store. It was closed. The lights were on, the store shelves were still in there but it was emptied out of merchandise. I am guessing that the Penn Station store is closed by now since that was almost emptied out last weekend so that's it for Borders' Manhattan presence.

When I was in the Atlas Park store last week they had a sign up saying Nine Days Left so that would mean they should be closing this Tuesday. I wonder how many stores will be lingering on their last legs after that point.

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

WOW !!! .25 cents !! that is crazy ...... I actually dig that album & dvd ....

8. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

All stores will be closed by Sunday, according to Detroit News:

http://detnews.com/article/20110915/BIZ/109150329/Borders-epilogue--‘Perpetual-crisis’

9. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Yeah, I actually regret not picking up more. Would have made for lot of good gag gifts for Christmas (esp. with the $16.99 Borders price tag still entact :laugh:).

10. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

The last time I checked my local Borders, there were lots of Sting but even more Josh Groban and a boatload of Christmas CDs from some Celtic group, Anuna or some such. We're talking triple figures here, folks.

Curiously, the website is still up but with no discounts and they haven't had coupons for some time. So, if you want to buy stuff for double what it would cost you on amazon.com, there's still time.

11. Viper

Viper Happily lurking 'round here

Stopped by a couple of Borders over the last couple of days, one with a sign that said "10 CDs for $10, but you must buy 10!" Couldn't pass up a deal like that so I grabbed:

Joanne Shaw Taylor - Diamonds In The Dirt
    Big Blue Ball
    The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
    Grinderman - 2
    Madina Lake - Attics To Eden
    Conor Oberst - S/T
    The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
    Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart
    The Bottle Rockets - Lean Forward
    Tift Merritt - See You On The Moon
    Shawn Mullins - Light You Up

The other store had CDs still at 80% off but everything was picked through pretty cleanly. And yes, I saw a few Sting CDs and some other Christmas CD that no one wanted either.

I will miss Borders :(

12. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

My store also had those cd's & the live dvd by them ... also in VERY high numbers & sitting .

I drove through the parking lot of my store last night , they were locking doors 2 hours early & that's it , done .... kinda sad :shake:

13. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Well, Sunday's come and gone. So long, Borders. It was fun while it lasted. :wave:

14. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Yes, farewell Borders. Last week the Atlas Park store had a sign that it was closing in nine days, which would make it tomorrow (Tuesday) that it would be closed but maybe it ended up closing earlier. I haven't been back. But I am guessing that for the most part, all the stores are closed and if any are left they don't have much at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.