Borders Rewards Card...anybody here use this?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by nukevor, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

2. mtodde

mtodde New Member

It is worthwhile just to get the discount coupons. If you spend enough to get some Christmas money that only sweetens the deal.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just got my card yesterday. Apparently they just launched the program a couple of days ago. Doesn't cost anything to belong, so why not?

4. nukevor

nukevor Active Member Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if Borders Rewards cards customers can use the card along with those 15%/25%/30% coupons that can be found on the Internet (and the SH forums!).

5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Sorry. I just object in principle to paying for the privilege of being incented to shop at a given store. When BB went to a fee for RewardZone, i did not opt in. (I did pick it up when we bought a new oven / stove tho; it made sense just on the basis of the single transaction.)

I like the Borders coupons when they come, but i'm not gonna pay for em.

6. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

The sales clerk that I signed up through indicated that members can use the personal days 10% discount in addition to any other coupon they have. At least the price is right (FREE!). Beats that "club" that they have at Barnes and Noble that you have to pay $25 for. :shake:

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I have gotten several 5 dollar and one 10 dollar rewards for shopping at BB since last August. The way I look at it, that's 40 bucks or so for more music.

8. Oatsdad

You know the Borders reward card is FREE, right?

9. Oatsdad

I think the coupon system will change now. They've been handing out coupons that are better for Rewards members - might be 30% off for members but only 15% or 10% off for non-members. Gotta feeling that you're gonna need to be a member to get the good coupons from now on...

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:thumbsup: I agree..."BORDERS" is surely planning on "changing" the coupon game with this new "rewards" program of theirs! My beef with this program is that lousy one day a month 10% off purchases, "IF" you have spent more than $50 dollars! "10%" SUCKS (Jeez Chris, why don't you just say it?" :D ), how about 30%, then I'm buying! There is NO question that BORDERS researched the last few months worth of good coupons and the sales that they bring in, they got us hooked now!

Here is my interesting idea for "BORDERS" stores...
    The other day I went in to buy a CD at my local BORDERS and I noticed that the cafe was closed and being redone. The line at the checkout was LONGER than at Christmas time, which brings me to THIS conclusion, why not keep the cafe closed? It's evident that if the people can't sit down and read books and magazines for free in the cafe, then you force them to actually PURCHASE something, for a change! (NOTE: There is a STARBUCKS at the very end of my BORDERS parking lot, so it's NOT like the caffeine fix, is that far away, to hurt future sales.)

Chris C

11. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Here's a tip for fellow RewardZone members: refuse to pay for your card when it expires. They WILL give it to you eventually. I had gotten a free one to start, then when it expired, I got an offer in the mail to renew for $9.99. I went online to the RZ site and sent them an email telling them why I would never, ever pay for their card. I think this is important - they need to know that we are on to them. The RewardZone card, if you are somehow not aware, is a marketing ploy by Best Buy. They track your purchases - what you buy, where you buy, and when - to see what you're responding to. Best Buy only profits from these cards - the "rewards" are a minimal loss to them, but the information they gain is almost invaluable. So I let them know that I knew this. I also told them that the only reason I purchased at Best Buy anymore was because of the card and eventual $5 coupons, and so while I did not have a working RZ card, I would no longer be buying at Best Buy. Two months later I got a free voucher in the mail to renew my subscription. I have not been bothered about paying for my card since then - two years later. I have no idea if they abandoned the idea of charging for resubscriptions or what, but I know I haven't even had to resubscribe since the first time it expired. My card never expires now, apparently!

12. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

I got my free card last week. When I signed up online, I got a 30 % off coupon. Tomorrow I will pick up my special order, Donovan "Storyteller" SACD. !6.98 (their
    price is $1 over list)less discount comes out to $11.88. Not too shabby for a
    disc that is not available to me except for orderingonline.

13. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Yes, the card is good. Seems to be the only way to get the good coupons these days. I'm not buying more there than I have before, but it certainly helps if there's something I want.

Jonathan

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The "25% off one item" Borders Rewards coupon I got in my e-mail today was the first that requires a minimum purchase ($20). So much for getting a couple bucks off a paperback or a few dollars off a CD. I'm curious to see if this is a one-time thing or the beginning of a trend.

15. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Well, considering they skipped the coupon altogether last week, I suspect not, but...a legitimate suspicion.

OTOH, I always try to maximize my purchases (I got $60 off the $200 Buffy box set with a 30% coupon), so it may not be a problem. A CD and a magazine, perhaps? One 2CD set? A Criterion DVD?

16. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Well, if they want to make it "25% off your entire purchase, $20 minimum", I have no problem with that. But stipulating "25% off one item with a $20 minimum" forces you to buy something else if you only planned on buying a paperback or, say, a $12.99 back-catalog CD, diluting the value of the coupon in my mind. It's great if you want to buy a hardcover book or a CD box set, but...

17. Chris C

If you'll just scroll back to near the beginning of this thread, you will see that it was me that said, that BORDERS would probably start to pull a fast one, with the way that these coupons work!

Hate to say "I told you so", but I DID!

Chris C

18. Dusty Chalk

Give 'em time, the good coupons will be back. They're just going through a bit of a lull -- kind of hard to criticize after those 25% and 30% ones they had a few weeks back.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I thought we might get a good coupon for the Memorial Day weekend, but all I got in my e-mail today was 20% off a children's book (or something like that). And even that had a $10 minimum-purchase requirement. Maybe they'll put something good out for Friday through Monday this week because of the holiday. Or not...

Borders just reported a worse-than-expected loss, so maybe they'll be putting an end to the big coupons. If so, it was good while it lasted. I've got the receipts to prove it. :D

20. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

I called them at the customer service # and asked them to email a coupon and they sent a 30% off one item good until 6-6-06. Printed it off and picked up a new Harry Nilsson remaster and asked the clerk if I could keep printing and using the coupon until it expired. She indicated that they weren't supposed to but there was no way for them to know. It's worth a shot.

21. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

The # is on the back of the Rewards Card.

22. Dusty Chalk

Losses? That usually means shoplifting, or internal employees lifting stuff. That's why one should always help to stop shoplifters.
    ...for what? I mean, because you were dissatisfied or something? I know I got a 30% coupon when I registered my Borders Rewards card...

23. DougT

DougT Forum Resident

I received my 30% when I first registered as well. No dissatification at all. I just called to see what other coupons they had and they sent me another one @ 30% off. Never hurts to ask.

24. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

By loss I meant "financial loss", not shoplifting. Anyway, no coupons today, either.

25. Chris C

Well, not only do the latest bunch of coupons (and the LACK of them, in general), suck, but I was just at my local BORDERS yesterday, only to find that they are getting rid of their nice CD displays and going with the new store metal rack things, which I "HATE"!

Another decent "B & M", quickly going to hell!

When I talked with the head manager, along with another music collecting friend of mine and BEGGED her to reconsider this horrible decision, she just gave us that same "deer in the headlight" look that I get at "WORST BUY"!

Do the managers or owners of these music stores, EVER take their customers comments to heart? How can ANYBODY be so damn stupid to think that those metal racks are a better way to display CD's? They also make the store look like a WAL-MART!

Chris C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.