Bosch TV series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Bosch is the best series I've seen in a loooong time. A nice organic natural pace instead of the breakneck ones found elsewhere, no supermodels in any part, great writing/directing/acting, good music. What's not to like?

enro99, Brenald79 and Wounded Land like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's the thing: there's nothing to dislike about the show, but I don't find it that engaging or interesting quite frankly. The plots are fairly standard stuff. I do agree that the acting is quite good, but the series lacks something for me. Glad others like it, though.

budwhite likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Don't know what to tell you. Other shows suck in comparison. They treat their audience like idiots, have supermodels in every role, the acting sucks, the directing is tedious with jumpcuts everywhere, fancy CGI for no reason than to detract viewers from the fact the show is crap, a frenetic unnerving pace, unidimensional characters, etc.

What police drama do you like and prefer to Bosch?

enro99 and ransmiller like this.
  4. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Add me to the "love it" camp. Good characters, nice engaging stories. I love the pacing also.

budwhite likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What are we comparing this to? NCIS? Law and Order? Those types of shows? I don't watch those.

Recently I watched a show called "The Fall" on Netflix that is a police drama that I enjoyed a lot. "The Wire" is another obviously. I'm sorry I just don't think "Bosch" is that great.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Jason: have you seen The Shield or Justified? Or Line of Duty from the UK?

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've seen about three seasons of "The Shield". I've seen every episode of "Justified" and loved it. I have not see "Line of Duty" at all. Is it good?

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes it's one of the best crime series I've seen. Season 4 just finished. The ratings are huge in the UK.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'll check it out. Thanks, man!

10. Strat-Mangler

Why didn't you finish The Shield?

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not sure. I liked it. I honestly don't know why I didn't finish it. Got distracted I guess. I will finish it sometime soon. In fact, I'll make a note to do that.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

One of the best crime dramas I've ever seen. Disliked The Wire quite a bit. Watched the first two episodes and thought the dialogue was ridiculous and unintentionally hilarious at times.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting, as many rank it as one of the best series of all time. Each to his own. Different opinions make the world go round; if we all agreed on everything it would make life quite boring. :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Shield is probably my favourite TV series ever. Later seasons have some great guest roles by Forrest Whiticker and Glenn Close. LA police stories are favourite types of books and TV series. I sure hope the James Ellroy/David Fincher HBO series sees the light of day and is well done. Lots of big names in TV and film have been attached to Ellroy books over the years.

Strat-Mangler and GodShifter like this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I restarted watching season 3 with the English subtitles turned on after struggling to follow the plot without them There's so many characters and concurrent storylines I was getting lost. Much more enjoyable show this way.

16. sixthstreet

sixthstreet Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the show (it's okay, but too often over-freighted with heavy meaning), but today I discovered that Titus Welliver is the son of the late landscape painter Neil Welliver, whose work I am a big fan of.

Steve Litos likes this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The show is good, but pales in comparison to the novels it's based on.

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've never seen the show but I've been reading all if Mr. Connelly ' s books since the Black Echo was first published. I've reread them over years I like them so much. New Bosch coming in October!

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think it's good and Welliver is great with a fantastic supporting cast. I wouldn't want to put it above Homicide (series 1-6)or The Wire, though. For what it's worth, I much preferred seasons one and three to two.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Brenald79 and hbbfam like this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just finished the latest season. Overall, I think this may have been the best.

Good cast all around. Good writing. And it's great how they make LA part of the show.

I really like this show, and wish we got more than 10 episodes/year.

I wonder if the daughter will be written out going forward? One of things I like about this show is how Harry balances work with the stuff going on in his personal life. With Elanor gone and the daughter going to college, how will they maintain that aspect of the show?

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Will they make Bosch a private eye for one season?

22. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Can't wait for the next season.

23. Strat-Mangler

Sorry it took this long to reply.

If Bosch didn't do it for you, the good news is there's never been more material to watch anyway. I've watched The Killing and thought it was good, except the last season which made no sense whatsoever.

Didn't like The Wire. Contrived dialogue and scenes which seemed forced to me turned me away from it. The Shield is one of my favorite shows ever.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'd admit "The Wire" has not held up as well as I'd hoped on a second viewing some time ago. As far as "Bosch", it's not bad. I probably was a little hard on it. I definitely liked the second season better than the first. I'll check out three pretty soon. I loved "The Shield", too, but lost track of it for some reason (as noted above).

25. Strat-Mangler

The Blu-Rays will be out pretty soon. All 4K-remastered episodes are available for streaming on Hulu but there's an issue with an episode in season 6. The BRs would anyway have better definition, not that this show was beautifully shot. IIRC, it was a handheld camera.

Here's what the creator said about the fact the 4K-remastered episodes will be in widescreen.

"We always filmed it widescreen and edited it to be safe for that. It aired foreign in many places widescreen. I kept it 4:3 on air because I didn't think widescreen TVs were widespread enough. New 4k version will be widescreen."

I saw screenshot comparisons between the DVD and the 4K versions and it's a big upgrade, although there won't be a great deal of definition (individual hairs, seeing pores on face of actors, etc). It's a soft presentation but it's a whole lot better than what was previously available.

GodShifter likes this.