Boston Legal..first time watcher

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

i know I’m 14 years late but I just started binging on Boston legal. Had no interest back then but due to loving James Spader in The Blacklist, I decided to try his past work. In a word, WOW! Brilliant acting again from him but what surprised me most was how funny this show was. I figured it was another typical law drama, not at all. All my wife can I say to each other is....DENNY CRANE! Shatner is hysterical in this role but man is his character politically incorrect. No way that could be done today, I’m surprised it was done in 2004. Incredible writing by David Kelley and just about every famous tv face has appeared on the show. Really enjoying it. What are your thoughts? I’m on the second half of season three but don’t worry about spoilers I kinda peeked at IMDb for some episodes.

Fabsmith and LivingForever like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(Denny Craine!)

...why do I suddenly crave a single-malt and a cigar?

3. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite primetime series. James Spader was brilliant.
    Do yourself a favor and track down season 8 of "The Practice". It's where Alan Shore (James Spader) was introduced, and then when on to set the stage for "Boston Legal".

A bit of trivia, near the end of "Practice", ABC was advertising the new series as "Fleet Street". Not sure why the last minute name change.

MikaelaArsenault and Beatlened like this.
  4. No idea, as the characters on the show drank Chivas Regal, IIRC, which is a blend and not a single malt. ;)

Lightworker likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's also not too late to binge Ally McBeal!

Lightworker likes this.
  6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Byegones.

minerwerks likes this.
  7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

In real life, I reckon they'd be swilling Lagavulin and smoking Cohibas but they got the spirit right. I only wish I had their view... Great show. Shatner was never better and Rhona Mitra - yikes.

Fabsmith, RolandG and Lightworker like this.
  8. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I'd agree that anyone wanting to watch Boston Legal should start here. Denny Crane appears in the last few episodes. Betty White's character first appears in it too in a really good 3 part episode that also featured Patrick Dempsey as an old pal of Shore's. Shatner and Spader both won the Emmy for The Practice and again for Boston Legal

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Lightworker

I don't drink Chivas...although I do like some blends. The Shatner/Spader balcony scenes just trigger my cigar/Scotch cravings in general. Others I know are similarly affected.

RolandG likes this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Such a satisfying show to watch. Tellyawhat, if yr not grinning ear to ear when they walk off in their fishing gear with the whistling theme from the Andy Griffith show playing, you simply have no heart!;)

Lightworker likes this.
  11. Lightworker

I'd rather shoot myself in the leg with a .22 Ruger.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....as a huge fan of BL I was really looking forward to the Blacklist when it was introduced, I only got through 3-4 episodes before I bailed!

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Lightworker

It gets better, but it's a "different" kind of show. No a whole lot of laughs.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'boston legal' is, in a word, brilliant.

one of the most well-written shows in TV history.

watch one episode of BL and then watch 5 minutes of 'modern family' you never watch modern family again. modern family'is, in a word, stupidity, not comedy.

15. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry can’t agree. Love modern family

forthlin likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Spader is actually very funny at times but the humor is just pitch black. I do think they need to wrap it up though. Every season is about another secret Red is keeping from his daughter and every attempt at resolution leads to another, more terrible secret. Nothing ever really gets resolved. Time to find out who's bones are in the suitcase, kill the mean, angry bald guy and move on.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

may I ask what intrigues you about it?

18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Other than Julie Bowen being on both shows, why would you even compare the two?! Like most successful shows, Modern Family has gone on too long, but for many years it was great.

Regarding Boston Legal, while I like Bowen, I preferred the first season (and however long they were around in S2 before being written out) with Rhona Mitra and Monica Potter.

19. seacliffe301

Not to mention, Ed Asner as the judge on the case. Outstanding 3 part episode, I can still put that on and enjoy it.

MikaelaArsenault and Beatlened like this.
  20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but this Shatner's best performance....

21. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I worked as an extra on Boston Legal a number of times and it was amazing how James Spader would perfectly knock out those monologues take after take.

I worked on Boston Legal my first day as an extra and I was so focused on crossing from A to B that I almost crashed into Mr. Spader. One of the few times I saw him lose his concentration.

22. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I would love to do exactly this, but 20th Century Fox seems intent on hiding away almost any proof that The Practice existed. Found a remaindered DVD set of the first 13 episodes, and I think a few more early episodes may be on DVD, but I know the later episodes never got released on disc and the show has been absent from all streaming platforms (at least in the US).

I've always liked David E. Kelley's shows, but occasionally the balance of comedy and drama goes off kilter. Boston Legal may lean toward the acquired taste category since its humor is a bit more gonzo (IMHO), but this show really taught me to appreciate James Spader. Not sure how many actors could bring the gravitas needed to make those monologues work without making the show seem too preachy.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Two others come to mind: Mike Ehrmantraut and Jeff Daniels.

24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I loved this show. The winking at the audience was so appropriate: we know we're ridiculous, and we're taking you along for the ride. DENNY CRANE!

25. seacliffe301

Really? I wonder if something changed. December of 2016 I put out a request for season 8 as a potential Christmas gift.
    My son was able to find it, probably on Amazon. I would love to get a complete box set though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.