Bowers & Wilkins Speaker Owners - Tweeter Height?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George P, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

With regard to your ears, at what height do you guys have your Bowers & Wilkins tweeter?

Ear height?

Lower than your ears? If so, how much?

Higher than your ears? If so, how much?

2. George P

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I don’t have my 704s yet so I can’t say with those. But my 703 (version 1) tweeters are just about exactly at ear height. I expect I’ll be close to that with the 704s when I get them.

Incidentally I got a call this weekend that the 704s had arrived at my local shop, but I’ve been out of town and haven’t been able to pick them up. Some time this week :goodie::pineapple:

George P, Dave and Bananas&blow like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I use mine at ear height, I was told it would work better this way and it did.

5. George P

Do you recall how your 704s sounded at other heights?

:thumbsup:

6. George P

OK, thanks for checking in.

One reason I started this thread is because I saw this: Speaker (tweeter) Height. PMC, B&W, ATC - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community - where at least two people say the tweeters on B&W are usually placed below ear level.

Another reason is that I will soon be buying a new couch and may have to get one that is a few inches higher than the one I have now. And the speakers can't go any higher. (They are floorstanders on plinths with a slight tilt upward towards the listening position.)

punkmusick likes this.
  7. Probably slightly above my ear by a bit. Not hat home now but I think that’s correct.

George P likes this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I once measured my Matrix 802s and they just happened to be at ear level, though this doesn't take into account the all important "slouch factor".

Bananas&blow, George P and wgriel like this.
  9. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

No, and I don’t really recall what the tweeter height was relative to my listening position when I auditioned them. I think it was close to ear height, but I’m not sure. It may have been slightly lower.

I can say that when I get my 704s the tweeters will be positioned lower than my 703s simply because the 703s are a taller speaker.

George P likes this.
  10. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Well I voted above ear height but then I sat up and they feel about even with my eyes. I would imagine as long as they are close to ear height you are doing good. I tend to get deep in the couch when I listen and never noticed a huge difference. If I slouch my ears are in the sweet spot for the midrange drivers. :D

lonelysea and wgriel like this.
  11. But since I play Music for many hours im frequently walking around the room so it doesn’t matter unless I’m sitting in the sweeet spot.

wgriel and Micke Lindahl like this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Maybe just a bit above ear level.

13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Ear level. High frequency sound is more directional. The majority of floor standing speaker designs have tweeters at the height of listener ears when sitting. This, as others pointed out for focused listening. Regards

Dave and George P like this.
  14. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I used to have 803D2 speakers, rather tall floorstanders. The tweeters were always firing above my ears. Not my preference. If not exactly on ear height, I prefer a little too low to higher.

15. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

My sofa is a bit low so the tweeters are just a little above ear height when I'm seated. The highs get a bit brighter if I sit on a pillow to raise my ears up to tweeter level,but the effect is subtle and not huge. It's definitely not enough to make me want to adjust my listening height and I actually think I prefer the slightly mellower presentation from sitting lower.

wgriel and George P like this.
  16. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

805 D3 on the B&W stands at ear height when I am sitting.

Treble sounds best there, but I have a low couch and often slouch, so turns out to be an inch or so above.

17. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I have the tweeters 1 to 2 inches above ear level for my 800s. Ear level is between midrange and tweeter, I have found there my sweet spot. Toe-in is such that both speakers are 10° to 15° wider firing than direct-to-head.

George P likes this.
  18. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

On my 804 Diamonds, the tweeters are just above ear height.

I had my chair recovered in November and it came back with a less support. I sink down further into it. One of these days I'm going to cut a piece of 1/4" plywood and slide it under the cushion. That should raise my seat by an inch or so.

19. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I am using 805D3s and have them on the stands that are matched. This places the tweeters about 2 inches above my ears from my seated position.

I find they sound amazing, but to be fair, I can’t exactly lower/raise them to see if they sound better/worse ;)

GyroSE likes this.
  20. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Interesting question. I have the CM6 S2s right now, on stands but am considering the CM10 S2s now - those suckers are tall! I can't imagine that tweeter on top will be anywhere near ear level while seated.

21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

OK, finally got the 704S2’s in the house. They are just out of the box so I’m still getting things dialed in, but the tweeter is just below ear height in my current configuration.

And they sound amazing, even right out of the box!

GyroSE likes this.
  22. The spikes will raise them about an inch.

23. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Ear height for normal sitting position, a bit below while sitting upright.
    B&W CM8 S2 (with a ASW 608 Sub), located at each side of my desk where I BS with you. :righton:

24. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Given my flooring, I’m not going to use the spikes. I am using the silicone feet instead. But really, at this stage I have zero complaints with regard to tweeter height: I can alter my listening position easily enough and I’m not finding that this is a significant factor so far...

George P likes this.
  25. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

My CM8 S2's are at ear height give or take an inch or so :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.