Bowie doc on HBO; "The Last Five Years"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Didn't see a thread for this, so I decided to make one!
    It airs this Mon.

Scope J likes this.
  2. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I have a feeling of deja vu.

3. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

cannot view your video...when does this start?

4. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Some great footage I've never seen. Glad to see guitarist David Torn in this.

5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I see talk about the "debut" of this documentary, articles about "what we learned from", and so on. But isn't this the BBC documentary from last year?

6. I watched this On a Virgin America flight last fall. Short but enjoyable.

7. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

This is the first time playing in North America?

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Aha, so that's why it's getting a major push at the moment. Surprising, there was internet at the time the documentary aired initially...

9. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I'm not sure I can just freely watch any BBC content on the web(?). I know I've had trouble in the past trying. I also can't watch all CBC (Canada) content on the net either.

But maybe it's been posted on youtube somewhere in the interim - I didn't even know this doc existed at all.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Very enjoyable, and sad.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Too morbid to watch( in a few years)
    Holding back on the video hits Blu Ray I see.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

benjaminhuf and James RD like this.
  13. Pretty enjoyable documentary. I lost touch with Bowie's more recent work and this doc convinced me to investigate Darkstar.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Just watched it on tv, great doc and quite sad at the end. Of course we know what happens but it was heartbreaking hearing the accounts of some of his associates and the last time they saw him.

I'm a Bowie fan and I'm ashamed that I haven't listened to Blackstar yet.

16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The John Carpenter film? ;)

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

too sad for me to watch, maybe in a few years (five?)

deadcoldfish likes this.
  18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I watched it tonight. Very good. Wish it was longer with a couple of complete live performances

19. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

This is fantastic, especially considering the subject matter. Not an easy watch; I had a pit in my stomach most of the time. It was restrained, in the best way. Uplifting.

bcaulf likes this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Very good!

21. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

While it's sad to think David Bowie didn't have another ten or even five more years left The Last Five Years is a decent look at Bowie's long stretch out of the public eye and his final, thrilling blast of creativity. Key collaborators from Bowie's past and present are interviewed - Carlos Alomar, Earl Slick, Tony Visconti - and there's a trove of archival TV clips, concert footage, and interviews. That's more retrospection than I'd expected and might seem like filler to the casual viewer, but Bowie during this same period was looking at and even finding inspiration in his past...so it works.

The Last Five Years builds towards Bowie pulling off something truly remarkable - a well orchestrated exit. He's looking back on his past, while bravely facing an increasingly bleak future...and everything Bowie felt and experienced in that moment was put into Blackstar. To hear Bowie sing "Look at me...I'm in heaven" gives me chills...and seeing him sing it in the doc, knowing he was losing his battle with cancer...is a gut punch.

Hopefully some gifted filmmaker will one day have the time and the resources to tell Bowie's entire story in a single, lengthy documentary. Until then, The Last Five Years is proof that we really were lucky to be alive at the same time as David Bowie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.