DCC Archive Bowie Leaves Virgin: That didn't last long

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Douglas, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas

Douglas New Member Thread Starter

Thank god; maybe he'll call Steve now:
    From BowieNet:
    On Thursday morning BOWIE's business representatives, RZO, sent a letter to Virgin records stating that "We respectfully decline your attempts to negotiate a new contract in light of the missed option pick-up of a year ago."
    All DAVID BOWIE's future recordings, including the hotly tipped new album that he is recording with long-time collaborator Tony Visconti, will be released on ISO, his new label.
    DAVID BOWIE's label ISO, which was registered as a record label over a year ago, will be based out of New York and London and has already signed two new artists, one solo and one band.
    http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Interact/cp/showflat.pl?Board=news&Number=148385

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ehh. Just to be a Bowie fan, you have to jump over OOP hurdles like this.

Too bad. Supposedly, Bowie is a investment nut. He looks to Virgin to blame for his stale experience with no hits.

David could well invest in his old catalogue wisely and say goodbye to new material. Nothing against him, but music buying has turned totally upside down. It's not about the Diamond Dogs anymore, unless you're buying the reissues....

I don't see him doing a duet with Brittney either, so I say, produce with artists you like! Screw expensive new material that no one's gonna buy :(

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

An alternate, overly optomistic, way out in left field, opinion here: he is unhappy with the Mewly done remasters and will handle his investments himself. His investments include his back catalogue, master tapes or safeties, marketing "Bowie", etc.

I remember that he did comment (in print - going from memory here) that by 1980 he was "broke". Did not pay that much attention to his catalogue, finances, etc. and with a family to support, he turned that around.

So it appears that he does take an active interest in the state of his music. I know of one eBay seller who was selling a Bowie bootleg. The guy got an email from the record company's lawyers demanding that he pull the item off of eBay. He did.

But this seller has connections to the music biz and contacted friends who worked at Virgin. He was suprised that Virgin execs were scanning eBay for "boots" of their artists.

As it turned out, Virgin was not scanning eBay. Bowie was. He had Virgin's lawyers contact the seller.

Interesting.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.