Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But does that record company have the rights/lease for all of his catalog? That interview only talked about what Warner/Rhino are doing for the next two years. A quick look at wikipedia says his last four studio albums were all released on Columbia, so they probably aren't even under this guy's control. Plus the Tin Machine recordings (I believe outside of the first album) are co-owned by the other members of the band (and perhaps after the rights on the first album reverted back to Bowie, he may have been nice enough to give each member co-ownership of that album as well) so no reason to just assume that stuff is part of this two year plan under that particular company either.

At this point I'm not too concerned with what that guy said in that article, since really he said almost nothing. On the bright side, the implication seemed to be we'll be getting several releases per year, which we've also been getting for the last couple or three years anyway - so no surprise there.

BTW two more years could even just mean that's when their lease contract runs out, and whoever the estate signs the next record deal with will continue the vault releases from where this company left off.

Regardless, I find it preposterous to believe that the estate will be locking the vault on posthumous Bowie releases in two years time - utter nonsense!

2. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I think they have just planned for two years ahead thus far.
    The box sets were advertised as ‘career spanning’ at the start so that’s the whole catalog, although in terms of ensuring that every album is in print, then they may not include The Next Day and Blackstar.
    If it has been difficult the decide how to split the contents so far, how do you include 2 albums released 10 years after the others?

3. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

As long as I eventually get Buddha of Suburbia on vinyl, then the reissue series will have served its purpose for me.

dtuck90, Phillip Walch and Markyp like this.
  4. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I don´t believe I said that and no one else either, really. I was wondering how, under the current deal, which expires in two years time (if I have understood correctly), they will reissue the rest of the catalogue. We will see what we get in these 2 years, and I also hope we get some sort of Bootleg series-style releases with unreleased material in the future.

oldturkey likes this.
  5. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Sorry mate completely misread that.

6. flashingnocolour

flashingnocolour New Member

I'd like to think we'd get a deluxe edition of every DB album before I get too old to hear them properly!
    It looked promising with the 30th anniversary editions of Ziggy/Aladdin/Dogs and 40th anniversary of David Bowie (aka space oddity) but then it's been very sporadic, if we have to wait for 50th anniversary I might make it as far as Let's Dance!.
    Everyone has different tastes which means there'll be someone to buy whatever is put out, my guess is they'll continue with the box sets and after that we might get other releases. I don't think Tin Machine will feature in them though, as the Iggy Pop pair aren't in the latest set. Like others have mentioned RSD might be the place for TM.

7. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

8. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I think a deluxe Let’s Dance was only ever suggested by fans. Never been anything official about such a release.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur, as a Deluxe Edition for 'Let's Dance' would not seem to make sense for this year, as assume the next Box Set that would cover that album will come out this Fall, if their release schedule for these Box Sets stay the same. Any Music added to a Deluxe Edition could be but on Recall Discs(CD & Vinyl) for the Box Set, and one of the albums in the next Box Set will most likely get a Remix, although no idea if it will be 'Let's Dance' or one of the other albums.

I assume the RSD Release of the 'Let's Dance' Song is the same alternative version that I bought as a Download off of Amazon a few months ago.

The Bowie Live Set is what will get me out for RSD, along with the Spacemen 3 & Spiritualized Releases and possibly the Tangerine Dream Album, as just exploring their music. Assume that the problems with The Who's IOW on CD/Blu-Ray will not be corrected for the Vinyl RSD Release, so no interest in that Vinyl Set. I guess in a few more days when the official RSD List of items are released, I can see what else I will be interested in buying. I wish there were more FUNK Music Artist Releases like The Time-What Time Is It that was a 2017 RSD Release(Green Vinyl).

10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what is the likelihood that the 78 unreleased live show will get a CD release in due course a la Cracked Actor?

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'd think very likely and that it'll be a pattern for at least another couple of releases. but that would imply some kind of plan which is perhaps being optimistic.

12. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Somehow I only like the first 3 songs, the other ones are o_O

13. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Bearing in mind the 1974 Cracked Actor 2cd set was great, I hope they issue the 1978 Earls Court on cd. These recordings make for the perfect companion pieces to David Live, and Stage.

CBackley likes this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.