Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Ah, well no then.:D
    I never dug Tin Machine and don't own either of the albums. I wasn't sure when they were released but had it in my head that both LPs were in the 80s.

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Releasing a lavish exclusive Tin Machine box set would be a splendid idea. Let's not forget that these band members helped Bowie get his mojo back or develop a new sound. Without any or all of them we might not have seen the artist shine the way he did after his sell out 80's. What is more .. a TM box set would help us get through the stack of post RCA albums in brand new boxes that are coming our way.

CBackley, Kiss73, Tokyo Ghost and 2 others like this.
  3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Could very well be. Fingers crossed.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Good point. SRV’s style did not blend well with all of the material, but it was an interesting and creative approach to add a lead blues guitarist to his sound.

5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I think SRV had another sore point with Bowie when Bowie told the Serious Moonlight band, "no drugs." According to one bio, SRV responded, "What drugs *are you* on?" Bowie gave Vaughn a withering look and told him, "I've got a bloody show to do."

In short, I don't think La Bowie and the Texas Rattlesnake were right for each other at the time.

Christopher B, NunoBento and Larry L like this.
  6. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Me too, I like an album to finish where it finished when first released.

7. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Funny how people interpret things differently. "Cat People" was the first song that caught my attention from that album primarily due to the fantastic guitar work. It remains a favorite to this day.
    I remember hearing a King Biscuit show from that tour that featured Earl Slick and was totally disappointed with what he did to that song. I remember thinking that he must be putting his spin on it as opposed to trying to replicate Stevie Ray's solo.

In hindsight, I do agree that he probably wouldn't have been best suited for all the earlier material. My benchmark has always been the David Live Tower shows from Philly '74.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    NunoBento and dead of night like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wow, I must be imagining the bluesy guitar work all over that album.

9. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

What if it's just a digital EP of the demos? I'd be a little disappointed if that's all it will be, personally, but who knows.

10. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I don't think that there were any 12" remix versions of the Let"s Dance tracks. Tonight was the one were almost every track got a remix. I actually like the 12" remixes from Tonight and would be very happy to see them released again on a Recall disc.
    There was the single mix of Let's Dance officially released however no unreleased b-sides or anything like that (except Modern Love Live). Not sure how they would expand Let's Dance without demos and perhaps Serious Moon Light Live.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

How about ... now that we’re past easy era collections, the Bowie camp does separate single LP box sets that consist of the studio album, any associated live album, reproductions of any original 12” singles or EPs associated with the album, and a Re:Call with the 7” single edits? Kind of like the Sisters of Mercy vinyl box sets. This would also allow people to bow out of buying albums they dislike.

ad180 and Porkpie like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nah, that would be nowhere near profitable enough

Porkpie likes this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yes, but... a 90s Box would be pretty awesome too. Outside and Earthling are two of my favorite Bowie records.

14. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m hoping for the box sets to continue , that way the vinyl gap in my collection (From Black Tie to ...hours ) might be sorted by September 2019 or 2020!

15. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

“Shake It” was remixed for the b side of the “China Girl” single. All three singles from the album were edited for 7” too, but yes it was the Tonight album where Bowie’s songs really started receiving remixes, some excellent, some rather dull...

Ken.e. and aphexj like this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

SRV + David Bowie = :love:

Perfect for Let's Dance. And what a sound. Would've been interesting to see how he approached the earlier and artier side of Bowie's materiel. Still, happy with his sparkling cameo.

17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I'm sure I've got a Let's Dance 12" that goes for about eight minutes. Extended bongo solo.

NunoBento likes this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

This would please you, Sony’s 5 x 2CD expanded mini LP 1995-2003 albums.

But it sadly goes for a big cash wadge now. It tanked, but of course sold out much later when he died.

[​IMG]

19. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Not one of my favourite Bowie albums - the singles aside it lacks that special magic, and I'd have preferred the 7" of Lets Dance plus the soundtrack Cat People. But if expanded with live material and demos it would be a no brainer to buy.
    I suspect 2018 is going to be an expensive year......

20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I had thought we were going to see a full-length Isolar show (either the Berlin show that was partially streamed a few months ago or else Sydney?) for RSD but given, the 35th LD anniversary falls in April, a live Serious Moonlight show may be more likely.

21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

A stand alone Tin Machine set would be fabulous. Not particularly a massive fan of Bowie, but thought Tin Machine were simply brilliant, and yes there is enough material to include both studio albums, the live album, eps, demos, rare material - even a DVD of the show that I recall filmed and shown on TV.

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

His instagram has said to stay tuned for an exciting first week of January leading up to his birthday

23. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

and the man is under the moonlight

24. Ken.e.

I believe that is the LP version, the single was an edit.

25. Ken.e.

You're right I forgot about the remix of Shake It. I don't recall what it was like however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.