Bowie Mercury Demos LP box on 28th June 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markyp, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am thinking it might be part of a Space Oddity 50th Anniversary set.

mr_spenalzo likes this.
  2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think Parlophone/Rhino may likely have priced themselves out of the market this time. Over on the David Bowie Wonderworld forum, posters who were patient over the 7" box sets are putting their foot down finally with this one and saying it's way too much for them.

Ludger and Daniel Plainview like this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You should check Superdeluxeedition :laugh:

Apparently Par£ophon€ think they can grab vinyl buyers/Bowie fans by the ankles and shake the living daylights out of them. For every last single penny. Instead of fighting bootleggers they're just forcing us to get the nice recent bootleg version on either cd or vinyl (coloured or not) in excellent quality at a normal price.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

This is the same tape as The Beckenham Oddity, right?
    I'll just stick to my cd-r boot from the 90s, the music is not that great anyway.

scobb likes this.
  5. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Massive Bowie fan, but I’m out now. Totally fatigued with Bowie releases and it all gets one listen and goes on the shelf.

6. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Downloaded the latest version of the Beckenham Oddity boot last night. I can't imagine the new LP will sound any better than this. If it had been much cheaper (say £30 tops) I would probably have sprung for it.

Ludger likes this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I put on NLMD'18 today to putz around cleaning up. Still love it. So so glad they fixed this album up.

Mr Day likes this.
  8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Dropped from $69.99 to $58.99 on Amazon. Still too high, but at least its a little closer in price to what BOWPROMO was going for, even though I got that for a lot cheaper because a store was sitting on so many of them that they slashed them to $38. Doubtful I'm getting it though because Space Oddity isn't one of my favorite eras to begin with

9. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I have never seen a new release Bowie thread get so many thumbs down. I hope it's a tipping point. The average Bowie buyer isn't going to go for it, just the ones with too much money and who don't mind the immorality of it. That can't add up to many sales.

CBackley likes this.
  10. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident Thread Starter

So why don’t we set the date for Saturday to preorder on Amazon and Monday to all cancel?

11. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Exactly. I grew up on Ziggy and snatched everything up since, including all 4 box sets on vinyl. Even ran out to Brooklyn for the museum releases. Drawing the line here, though. Not gonna happen!

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This would've been so great being part of a David Bowie/Space Oddity box set. But instead... wow.

Colocally likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Vinyl only - hence this Bowie fan simply went without. It's like they WANT their releases pirated.

I'm a big fan of this period Bowie - but they've chosen not to release in my preferred format. I'll download it for free instead then.

14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

to be fair, sometimes vinyl fans get screwed over. I'm still annoyed by the Prince Purple Rain Expanded, the vinyl reissue was the simply 9-track album every serious vinyl collector already owns in their collection, while all the bonus tracks were CD only. I'll keep throwing that one out there because it came out after the vinyl resurgance and was something I would've paid extra on vinyl, yet only cd people got.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Absolutely. Doesn't make it right though. Vinyl, in general, is absurdly priced. This release is absurdly priced! Doesn't mean they couldn't have put out a CD. I'm honestly appalled how Bowie's legacy is being dragged through the dirt like this. And yeah, that's what I think of this release - why deny it to part of the market? CD's still outsell Vinyl by a large margin. It's really terrible.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

However record companies know what they are doing and vinyl records out margin CD's by a large margin

17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

They do at that price for sure.

scobb likes this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This release is a middle finger to fans.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They have to if they don't want to lose the copyright. It doesn't necessarily mean they want anyone to buy it. Hence, the pain.

In fact, the fewer the better. Makes it more valuable for That Big Project... someday.

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Happy to oblige by not buying it :)

Tim

DBMethos likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah but vinyl is the new thing :rolleyes:

22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Same here; they can take this to the bank:
    I hereby solemnly swear not to buy the "Mercury" demos LP "box"

23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

So the copywrite thing makes sense to me I’m curious what the limitations are on it. Could they release a ultra limited edition of 5 sets and maintain copywrite? And I know supposedly it was all streaming for 5 minutes in 2018 to hold copywrite as well? Strange stuff

25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Right. This, like Spying Through A Keyhole and The Clareville Demos, are pure copyright extension releases. These aren't special releases Bowie wanted his fans to have as a special treat, those I think are going to start coming out after we're done with the uber-box sets, which I think we have three or four more max (I'm guessing 1989-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2016 give or take)

Honestly though, I'm more interested in the overpriced copyright extension releases in the 70s, Space Oddity has always been an "alright" album in my book but nothing I'd rank top tier

TonyCzar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.