Bowie’s Best Song ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, May 25, 2021.

1. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

My fave, "Oh, You Pretty Things".

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I prefer the version on Re:Call that doesn’t have reverb on the guitar. Great song and easy to play on the guitar.

Jamey K likes this.
  3. tcklze

tcklze Forum Resident

My favorite has always been Ziggy Stardust

4. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Even knowing the backstory of "Life on Mars?" ("revenge" for losing out to "My Way"), and the somewhat silly cut-up lyrics, there's just something so right about that song, and there's no better Bowie song to belt along to.

Rufus rag and Ludger like this.
  5. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Easy for you !

stef1205 likes this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

That’s the only Bowie song I really love.

John I’m Only Dancing is ok.

alexpop likes this.
  7. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I like Station To Station a lot, but I also love 1984. t's tied between those two.

JoeWild and Fabrice Outside like this.
  8. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Some peculiar choices to me! and some classic tunes indeed!

Just wanted to say that is great to see some love for Blackout, I feel #1 for me is currently a tie between The Sweet Thing suite, Teenage Wildlife, Sister Midnight (in collaboration with Iggy) & Blackout. Thought I just recently got into Blackout and the whole Heroes album beyond the title track and Sons of the silent age, another masterpiece to me.

Blackout may be my current favorite, just has everything I'd need from a Bowie song. It's quite unique, danceable, melancholic, yet uplifting, it's experimental as can be and I feel may be Bowie at his prime.

There's a video by Nacho with clips from a live performance of the song and the audio is very well put together video, sounds as good as the studio version, if a bit different, both versions are genius.

On this note I'm thinking Heroes is arguably Bowie's more experimental work, the songs, apart from Heroes, which is genius too, have this unusual structure and sound.. it's more daring than Low and Lodger to me..

Only other two as experimental work would be 1.Outside & The Idiot,. which I think is the album that would be his most "way ahead of it's time" in experimentation, gaving birth to post punk before The Cure and Co. with the help of Iggy and the rest of the band, of course. Iggy would be involved in both: proto punk and proto post punk in this regard.

---

TL;DR: My current vote goes for Blackout.

9. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Great to see 1984 as someone's #1! it's a top track from my all time fav Bowie record!

10. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Classic!

Mark R. Y. likes this.
  11. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Rebel Rebel or Modern Love

12. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

It's the album's. Arguably the best song in the album for me.

I love both Iggy's and Bowie's versions, though I prefer Iggy's.

13. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Impossible not to dance to it! it's on my top 10 for sure! my fav off StS

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

He did a version of this for the American Psycho soundtrack, where the piano is the prominent instrument rather than Reeves’ guitar. That’s a lovely version as well.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Fabrice Outside likes this.
  15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Always Crashing In The Same Car

Mother likes this.
  16. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Don't agree with a lot said here but wanna say I actually thought St. Vincent would choose Boys Keep Swinging! or Speed Of Life. Those would be a couple from which she would take inspiration to me. Then again I really don't listen to her a lot.

17. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

His singing on the "Heroes" album AND 1978 tour would like to have a talk on that!

Though just playing devil's advocate, Suite Thing suite would still top it, but there's so many honorable mentions! Actually I'd say depends on mood and what he's communicating/ expressing/saying.. he's a master on so many levels.. the singing on The Sweet Thing suite fits that song, but singing is more than just octaves indeed!

I'd say the end of Teenage Wildlife he also reaches some of his best, in both, energy/mood and octaves and whatnot, in my perspective.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Mr. Bewlay, Mother and yesstiles like this.
  18. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's probably one of these. I suppose Ziggy Stardust if pushed...

Modern Love, China Girl, Let's Dance, Heroes, Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Life On Mars, All The Young Dudes, Ashes To Ashes, Loving The Alien, Absolute Beginners, Hallo Space Boy...

Fullbug likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Bowie's best song? I would rather try to understand quantum physics than answer that question.
    What the heck.....Station to Station.

20. Henry Spencer

Henry Spencer Forum Resident

Since the fellow above me had Station to Station i will go with Teenage Wildlife.
    Neither one of us is wrong

Nike likes this.
  21. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

Bowie has so many great songs, in so many different styles, so my favorite song of his may change depending on my mood, tody I'll go with:

Ch Ch Changes....

skisdlimit likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

12” version is great.

joy stinson likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

When’s Ziggy Stardust boxset. Anniversary should have been this year?

24. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Life On Mar
    Let’s Dance

25. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Repetition from Lodger has an "important" message, done in a humorous and engaging way that doesn't come off as preachy. A difficult feat when addressing the topic of wife beating. Bowie said this is one of his favorites from his catalog.

Nike and Etienne Hanratty like this.