Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Beefles.

sekaer, Aftermath, ARK and 2 others like this.
  2. All Down The Line

40 Licks is not really a box set.

3. All Down The Line

So fiddley with Diddley?

4. All Down The Line

Now that was a really bad omission!

5. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

New order retro.

Total rip off. 2 compilations. one a greatest hits and the other deep cuts, a live disc and a disc of remixes that wasn't exactly rare.

I remember it being hugely expensive too.

6. All Down The Line

Yes I knew there could have been loads of great inclusions be it live, studio or BBC from the 1968-'75 period and I always hoped a kind of Beckology 2 type box would come out and still begin in the mid 60's fleshed out with more BBC Yardbirds cuts and continuing chronologically.
    Perhaps 2 CD's running through 1989 including sessions and 2 more to 2020?
    As for Beckology there were some welcome cuts such as Jizz Whizz, Rock My Plimsoul 45, Sleepwalk & especially Freddie King's The Stumble!

7. 80steen

80steen John McClane

They not only split them up they put them on different boxes altogether.

Matthew Tate, ARK and wdiv like this.
  8. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones' Goats Head Soup - worst packaging I've encountered (the book is glued in!) & no DTS-HD 5.1 mix as was initially advertised

Paul McCartney's Band On The Run and Venus & Mars - the '70s quadraphonic mixes are not included

The Isley Brothers' Complete RCA Victor & T-Neck Album Masters - the '70s quadraphonic mixes of 3+3, Live It Up, Harvest For The World, and Go For Your Guns are not included

Pink Floyd's The Early Years - Andy Jackson's 5.1 mixes of Obscured By Clouds and Meddle were removed at the last minute

Miles Davis' The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions - the liner notes mention that Mark Wilder created a 5.1 mix, yet it isn't included

Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night - no 5.1 mix (I read elsewhere that there were issues with the multitracks?)

Jack D, Peter_R, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I actually really love the tracklisting of those two boxes. The material flows really well like that. They made good song choices that fit together well. I like it so much that despite the recent reissues, I keep a copy of that set in iTunes to listen to in that format.

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ha, I hadn’t even noticed... I guess that shows how much I care about booklets, pics, and notes in box sets! :laugh:

KAJ1971 likes this.
  11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Historically it would have been great to have some personal thoughts from Neil and company. Puts everything into better perspective.

Sean and Big Blue like this.
  12. All Down The Line

So then you didn't experience the "box" part of the box set we are discussing as a complete entity, perhaps because it fell apart or became broken?
    N.b. The sticker on the original packing said digitally remastered.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I actually assumed there were some kind of notes in there, but I guess I really don’t prioritize looking at stuff like that in a box set. I don’t know why, considering I read liner notes for regular albums...

14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Agreed, that's the reason i refused to buy it

15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The DSOTM BD in the EU Immersion box set basixallly failed after a few years, which resulted in a replacement programme.

There was also a replacement programme for BDs in the Early Years box set, and the initial WYWH Immersion BD had a mastering problem with audible clicks in the surround mix of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which also had a replacement programme.

It’s not all bad, though; the remixed Meddle stereo and 5.1 mixes were “accidentally” left on the BD in the first batch of Early Years box sets.

Overall, the quality control of the Blu Rays in Pink Floyd box sets has been pretty bad.

AlienRendel and Jake362 like this.
  16. I am the complete opposite.Buy them for the cds which I listen to a lot.Don’t have 5.1 and have played the audio dvds once or twice.
    It is great they give you the option.

stevef likes this.
  17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The Beefifty-Twos?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Often we can't know what we're buying because we are led to believe that a boxed set will sell out before release, so there's no opportunity to wait for reviews. Moreover, the description of contents has obvious scope to mislead: e.g. we may know that there's a remaster but we don't know whether it's any good or not; static photos of an included book conceal how much text it has etc. Even a purchaser doing due diligence can be thwarted.

19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Making a top notch, if over-priced, long-delayed, box set super-deluxe version of your debut album...giving fans the expectation that the rest of the catalogue will follow in a similar style. But not a pip.

Hi Roxy Music.

20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

"Complete Album" box sets that aren't - Judas Priest for example....

Missing the entire Ripper Owens period (2 studio and 2 double live CD's)

[​IMG]

21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

There were a few of these that didn't happen: Madness only had volume 1 of theirs released. I assume the market for them fell to bits with streaming.

22. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Autechre's EPs 1991-2002 box set didn't include all the "Basscadet" mixes and also put the pre-gap track from EP7...in a pre-gap. Years after anyone could actually access pre-gap tracks.

23. All Down The Line

Beef Heart

24. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

To each their own. A CD box with vinyl included gets my attention. The new Lennon box or Sell Out boxes are only CDs/BluRay? Pass. I ordered the vinyl sets. I can do with the album proper and a few bonus tracks anyway.

25. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

OK maybe not a huge mistake, it just disrupts the flow of a strong album side and places that side's weakest song as track 1. It's just too bad the care that went into programming the LPs didn't carry over to the CD release.

Archtop likes this.