Box Set Beefs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

To be brutally honest On the Way Home. doesn't sound like Buffalo Springfield either, but who are we to say what a band should sound like ? Yes I know it wasn't the band that put the Last Time Around album together.. okay

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Tom Daniels likes this.
  2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrup Gort Staff

While it wasn't purporting to be, it damn near was.
    It was a perfect opportunity to make it the defining summary and collection of the amazing music these guys put together in such a short time. There was no need for the duplication of tracks.
    More importantly, it was a handful of ommissions that could have easily been included.
    It would have elevated the box to being a definitive, ne plus ultra, precedent setting, bar-raising box set.
    There isn't going to be another Buffalo Springfield box.
    We're not going to see a slew of reissues with bonus tracks.
    The band was a brief, but important chapter in Young and Stills's lives.
    If you're going to go through the trouble of a retrospective, knowing it's likely going to be the only one, why the heck not include all the released material?
    Why go through the trouble of putting it together, and still leave out a couple of things, especially when it's the stuff that the fans who want this set would go bananas to have on CD?

When I heard this was coming out, it was a release day purchase.
    When I learned the long version of Bluebird wasn't part of it, I noped.

3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Revolver?? No.

We were talking about the Let It Be box.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

I'm surprised nobody has, esp in Europe where the copyright laws are slacker, tried to replicate, update or expand the idea of Charlie Parker/The Bird Box. 25-30 cds would probably do it, even with the addition of subsequently discovered recordings. I have a 40cd Duke Ellington box that you can still find under $100...

'The best single source of live and unissued material is undoubtedly the "Bird Box," a 300-copy limited-edition 22-LP set issued in 1986 by Black Saint records in Italy: Charlie Parker Live and Private Recordings in Chronological Order (Bird Box 01-22). The music was reissued in 1989, also in Italy, on six 3-CD sets by New Sound Planet (Jazz Up Top Box JUTB 3001/3, JUTB 3004/6, JUTB 3007/9, JUTB 3010/12, JUTB 3013/15, and JUTB 3016/18). A Japanese edition (limited to 500 numbered copies) was issued in 1993: Charlie Parker Perfect Complete Collection (Sound Hills SSCD 8017/34). It was reissued in 2006, again in 500 numbered copies. All of these sets are out of print.' Peter Losin/Miles Ahead
    [​IMG]

octophone likes this.
  5. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

I avoided The Who's 'Maximum R & B' because it looked like a hot mess. Although back then I'm not sure the term "hot mess" existed. Dylan's 'Biograph' is one of the finest box sets out there. Is a box ever going to be perfect? Probably not. But 'Biograph' is a box I'm very happy to own.

6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Aside from the disc sleeves, my beef with that set is its incompleteness. Mercury's definition of "complete" is pretty different from mine, and the whole thing could have fit on eight discs instead of ten.

Michael likes this.
  7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Complete Albums box does not contain any tracks from the Hearts Of Fire soundtrack.
    Various - Hearts Of Fire

Peter_R likes this.
  8. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Thank you for saving me money, I won't have to look for it used now. Despite being a big Beatles fan, none of the Deluxe boxes hold any interest for me. I like value and the above description doesn't seem to indicate that.
    As others have mentioned, that Doors Box Set with Disc 4 being already released 'band favourites' material has to be up there with the best...they really couldn't think of ANYTHING else to add ? I bought it cheap, but I feel sorry for those that didn't.

9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Wow. I really don't get that. On the Way Home is a Neil Young song sung by Richie, which is very Springfield. It was a live staple. The five original members are the band. It has Stills/Young backing vocals. It almost couldn't be more of a Springfield sounding song to me.

Lost In The Flood and MarcS like this.
  10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

That box set sealed my love for The Who, it isn't as essential as it once was to me, but without it I would never have gotten in as deep as I did.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Maximum R&B went to press at a time when there were 'issues' between the band and Shel Talmy, who owned the early masters - hence, their appearance in lo-fidelty on that set.

I was pleased to get The Real Me with Kenney Jones, as I already have Quadrophenia. Plus, I like the hybrid A Quick One, because I've already got the original track.

These box sets tend to be aimed at collectors, who already have the core discography, so extras/alternate takes are welcome in my book! :)

Colocally likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...it was an all around crap set and terribly mastered and packaged...I own it so I'm stuck with it...I prefer the Singles Collection and all of the DOZENS of Hank CDs in my collection...probably all that were released...huge Hank fan....

13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Ya those strings are soooo Springfield :D

14. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

On the Box it is string free.

For what it's worth, at the Bridge School Benefit, they opened their first show in decades with it

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually think 2 of the biggest problems with Pandora's Box are the omissions of Lightning Strikes which received radio airplay and was the best song from Rock In A Hard Place and the only track on the lp to feature Brad Whitford. The other serious omission was the Joe Perry Project version of Let The Music Do The Talking. If you were going to include a Joe Perry Project song why not include the best and most well know one and one recorded again by Aerosmith and played live. I would have also appreciated the inclusion of the non-charting single S.O.S. (Too Bad) which was played live frequently. A minor quibble would have been to have all of the live tracks together sort of like a concert.

Pete Puma, Lewisboogie and dlokazip like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This set also omits the Deram rarities catch all compilation Alvin Lee And Company, the Recorded Live album and the great Live At The Fillmore East 1970 vault release as well is the previously released bonus tracks on the albums.

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

I agree with every letter of what you said, but I'm not going to wrack my brain trying to figure out what they're going to you're going to replace them with.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    dlokazip likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

In addition, the later 2 cd U.K. compilation of Chess material The Story of Bo Diddley: The Very Best of Bo Diddley contains 9 more tracks than the Chess Box and is a bit more representative of his Chess period.

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Man, that needs some lead guitar.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The White Album box is worth it for the book alone. They've also packed the bonus discs full of content unlike the subsequent boxes. Let it Be and Revolver are total rip offs on CD but Apple are ripping us off from a position of power from getting the White Album right

21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Sassafras & Moonshine

[​IMG]

For years I dreamed of a version of this album containing all of the leftover tracks in finished versions (dating from the time of the album's completion) and was hugely excited in the beginning of 2012 when I knew that "Ram" was next on MacCa's ongoing Archive series.

Talk about missed opportunity.

Many of the leftovers weren't included; some were but in unfinished form and one was nearly a remake from 15 years after the album period.
    Most of the unfinished songs did receive overdubs during the album's sessions and the later was almost released as a single back in the day. These remain unreleased.

I still dream of an album with all of those songs in their finished (and unfinished) forms in versions dating from the period of the album's completion. Mixing engineer Eirik Wangberg said in an interview for this very boxset that he mixed the songs first and then was asked to select and sequence the ones to go on the album. These leftovers he mixed are still unreleased. So the missing tracks from my dreamed of "Ram" as a double album are still there in the vaults.

22. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

But are you listening to yourself? You're saying that it was almost perfect. Almost except for one main song (the long version of "Bluebird"), and two latter, lesser tracks that were missing.

And for that, the entire set... this near-perfect set... near perfect set save three omissions... one semi-major and two minor... this set was a nope. A non-purchase.

And this is why I can't always trust the opinion of fanboys. Y'all get so obsessed with the trees that you've forgotten what the forest looks like. For any normal person, the Buffalo Springfield box is an incredible set. A set that illuminates why this band was so great in four stellar discs.

But for you, it's a no-buy. Because it didn't have the long version of "Bluebird." Yeah, okay.

I think it's great. Your mileage, obviously, may vary.

23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

That long version of Bluebird is dreadful. I know both SS and NY hate it. I’ve no problem with it’s omission.

But: I know there’s probably masters of both Bluebird and For What It’s Worth that were recorded live in studio for a Mannix episode.

Hearing the portions audible in the episode are amazing and even SS has commented that those were recordings that successfully captured the BS live sound in studio.

In a perfect BS world, an APB is issued for the location of those recordings (hopefully they still exist).

25. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Oh no, is there a full list of omissions from the Complete albums box? Surely a bootlegger must have compiled them ?

Mylene likes this.