Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redeemer

redeemer Active Member Thread Starter

Had you invested the time you spent writing your ironic response in actually searching, even in this very site, you could have found quite mixed reviews and opinions regarding this set, but it was quite a tall order for you, right? I also never called it "a complete an utter failure", so quit distorting what I write here if you please.

Now, in regards to other posters' responses about the Roxy Music LP box set : I actually have listened to three albums of this (Avalon, Country Life and Sirens) and yes, in my opinion thay lack SQ wise in comparison to the originals. Also, this is Roxy Music albums we are talking about, many of which are hailed for their production values and dynamics, so the expectations were pretty high to begin with. I do not think they are garbage, but they didn't fullfill the potential that was there.

2. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Johnny cash - 8 Classic albums set box 2011

Johnny Cash ‎– 8 Classic Albums Real Gone Country (Remastered) http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Cash-8-Classic-Albums/release/3738911

Very nice sound , High DR
    includes: With His Hot And Blue Guitar , Sings The Songs That Made Him Famous ,
    The Fabulous Johnny Cash, Greatest , Hymns By Johnny Cash , Songs Of Our Soil , Ride This Train , Now There Was A Song.
    Also includes great Sun and Columbia singles

[​IMG]

Johnny Cash box - Come Along And Ride This Train (1991 Bear Family Records ) which includes
    Blood, Sweat And Tears , Ride This Train, Johnny Cash Sings The Ballads Of The True West, America: A 200 Year Salute In Story And Song , Bitter Tears - Ballads Of The American Indian, From Sea To Shining Sea , The Rambler
    Each cd has extra tracks ,

This is amazing box and really a treat and delight . The box include a book with lots of stories and pictures. you can order it from the label
    https://www.bear-family.com/ .
    Link to the box on Discogs :
    http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Cash-Come-Along-And-Ride-This-Train/release/3912544

Johnny Western ‎– Heroes & Cowboys 1993 Bear Family Records . http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Western-Heroes-Cowboys/release/6466383

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Thats a complete exaggeration. Fremer says i think ?3 of these equal the originals. You seem to have made your own opinion as a universal fact. The thread on here about the boxset also isnt especially negative so im not sure either you cant read properly or you're very selective with what you see?

Also we dont know what system you are even doing your own critical reviews on?

4. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

5. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Gave you a like on this one but the Sandy BBC box is marred by too many really nasty source copies. I did get The Notes and the Words (reduced size release of the big box including all of the material other than the studio albums) and that was perfect.

Also A Boxful of Treasures was sublime.

MoonPool likes this.
  6. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Buddy Holly - The Complete Studio Recordings
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    Pete Townshend - Lifehouse
    The Police - Message In A Box
    The Clash on Broadway
    The Who 30 years (except for the damn crossfades!!!!)
    Rolling Stones - Singles
    Bo Diddley - The Chess Box
    Chuck Berry Complete Studio Recordings 3 different Hipo-Select boxes)
    Elvis Presley - The Complete 50's recordings

I'm going to add Slim Harpo's Bear Box - I 'm ecstatic with the book and track selection but I was a bit disappointed with the sound..

7. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Listen, Learn, Read On

This box set was released in 2002.
    :thumbsup:

A collection of 74 tracks (around a quarter of which were unreleased prior to the album) across six CDs, all subject to extensive mastering at EMI's Abbey Road Studios.
    The set starts with a selection of early tracks by the members of the band before they were in Purple. The box set also houses a format book written by Deep Purple
    archivist Simon Robinson, which tells the band's story via 120 pages of text, with pictures, cuttings, memorabilia, musician profiles and discographies.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

In terms of pure value and including only material that matters, it's better than anything else else being mentioned in this thread. It's the best album box set of its kind.

JimC likes this.
  9. BrokenByAudio

wow...there are quite a few.

The Buffalo Springfield box set
    Martin Carthy--The Carthy Chronicles
    Richard Thompson-the Life and Music of RT
    Ashley Hutchings-The Life and Music of Ashley Tyger Hutchings
    Hendrix-West Coast Seattle Boy
    Coltrane-Complete Village Vanguard
    Captain Beefheart --Sun Zoom Spark
    Leonard Cohen-- Complete Studio Albums
    X-Legged Sally --studio albums
    Neil Young -Archive 5-8
    Dave Brubeck --For All Time
    Rory Gallagher--Irish Tour (complete)

others previously mentioned--KC, Beatles, CSN, Grateful Dead, etc etc etc

10. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

sounds like very interesting box.
    How is the mastering?

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you win as the first person satisfied by the buffalo springfield boxset

pablo fanques and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  13. redeemer

I will pass quickly on the "system" jab since there is no need for a crossover with the thread that adresses the issue regarding system quality and specs. My system is barely worth 2.5k but this is not the point, I can recognize a good or bad mastering when I hear one . It is really short-sighted to come to a conclusion by judging only from system quality, when there are more important parameters. Still, there are mixed comments by owners of much more expensive setups.

I based my conclusive opinion also on other user's reviews, never raised any critiscism on my opinion alone , maybe you have to reevaluate on who's reading ability is suffering. It gets comical when you state that I strive to form universal facts out of my personal opinion, yet your only foundation is Fremer's review, which for some flawed reason you think it serves your prespective (if the "3 out of 8" line isn't flawed logic, I really don't know what is).

Since word mincing is at play here, I feel I should state the obvious, that Fermer's opinion is of course more esteemed than mine, but really isn't forming any substantial argument by itself.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Wheres all these negative reviews then? 3 out of 8 as good as original isnt bad if the rest arent far behind which they arent. You seem up for an argument...im just saying where are all these negative opinions. Ive been following and contributing to the thread on th boxset so i know what feedback has been like and i dont know what you are reading....

15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Fairport Unconventional by, well its pretty obvious who its by, is pretty good. It also comes with one of those great Rock Family Trees.

[​IMG]

danielbravo, Gramps Tom and SquaRoots like this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There was a bonus disc available with that set, you had to send in a card located in the box showing proof of purchase.

EddieMann and SquaRoots like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Buddy Holly 6LP box

Beatles BC13

Beatles Mono (cd and vinyl)

18. BrokenByAudio

lotta curmudgeons out there I take it?

Malina likes this.
  19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but the Waterboys' Fisherman's Box provides a unique look at every single track recorded for the album (121 tracks and nearly 8 hours worth of music spread over 6 CDs). I'm not sure how much of it is going to be on par with the album. Between "lost" epics like "Too Close To Heaven" and "improvised doggerel" like "Headphone Mix Song" it seems to run the gamut in terms of musical quality but there's no denying it's very interesting from a historical perspective. I feel let down by the mastering but I'm trying to go through and add some dynamics back in on my own.

20. redeemer

Excuse me, but I can't see how I am up for an argument when it is you who started with this ironic rant, then went on with implications about system specs and so on.No victimisation claims please.

You act like I called the set a monstrosity, while my criticism is far more mild, more on the lines of not- being-up-to-task than useless (mixed reviews is the key term).My objections re the set stem from the first two google page results and a handful of comments on the thread here, as well as non-internet opinions. Now, should I expect questioning whether I have listened to the originals?

21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

One helluva set!

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I read on here that Steven Wilson is suppose to Remix/Remaster the 1st 2 Roxy Music albums, so maybe that will help 'fullfill the potential' or at least just have a nice alternative to the Complete Recordings Box Set reissues of those 2 albums. Then hopefully, he will do the 3rd-5th albums. I just bought The Complete Recordings last year(actually it was a Christmas Gift), as I was just getting into Roxy Music, after seeing Bryan Ferry a few times on 'Later with Jools Holland' the past few years. I also liked Eno's work as the 5th Talking Head, along with other artists, he worked with in the past, so figured it was time to explore Roxy Music. I think the CDs sound good, but I mainly play them in my car. Although, I would also look forward to what Steven Wilson would do with a Remix/Remaster, as I really love the first 5 albums. 'Avalon' seems bland to me and far from the Art-Rock Music that they started out making, although a few good songs on there. I realize that Eno left the band after 'For Your Pleasure'(their best album-imho). The CD Cases are real nice for 'The Complete Recordings', but I wish the Box Set also would have provided a Booklet with information on the band and Lyrics.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Disc 4 was a waste

mpayan likes this.
  24. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

This one's sort of an 'archival' semi-obscurity:

JOHN LENNON
    Absolute Elsewhere: The Ultimate Mind Games Anthology

If you've heard it, you know precisely from hence my appreciation originates.

Specifically, the first disc ("The Alternate Album") delivers the goods: exceptional non-compressed sound quality...basic backing tracks, minus excessive overdubs and muddled mastering/production.

It's my current go-to when it comes to listening and enjoying Lennon's vastly under-appreciated Mind Games.

Simply a classic.

Carlox and kevinfree like this.
  25. BrokenByAudio

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten that fact. Wasn't there two or three additional tracks on there that were not on the original first two albums and had been outtakes or something? What was the deal there? I was thinking that they wanted those two albums in the original form/running order but then there was the extra tracks.

I was so happy to get all of the other material at the time that I just overlooked that fact. I didn't buy it when it came out, but rather waited for the price to come down. I think I got it around $42. I guess if people had paid full retail they might have felt slighted. I probably would have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.