Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

A truly epic release!

2. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Beatles Mono Vinyl
    Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings

3. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Ive got this for Christmas. Anyone know if the cds are a new remaster?
    [​IMG]

Sean, Juggsnelson and Clanceman like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Enjoying this again, right now !

Kansas Sail On - The Thirtieth Anniversary Collection

A 2 CD / 1 DVD / Book overview - a nice overview of their career, up to that point (2004) on 2 CDs, and 1 DVD that features 16 videos !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

FREE. "NUFF said.

Phillip Walch and MrSka57 like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have this. i wish it was 4 cd's since the boxset can easily hold 4 discs

Galley likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

Who mastered that set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

from what i see it appears to be Joseph M. Palmaccio - Wikipedia »

anyways the boxset is the standard long book that can hold 4 discs but the spot for the 4th disc is just part of a picture. not sure why they wasted space like that. "wheels" should have been on the boxset

George P likes this.
  9. Myke

George P and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Myke

Mr. Palmaccio's style sounds good to my ears. He, and Darcy Proper have both remastered various albums in the catalog. Vic Anesini has done some Kansas as well.

driverdrummer and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When that set came out, I thought it was a major disappointment. There had already been an insufficient 2CD box for Kansas (who needed a 3CD set to do the band justice). Then they get another bite at the apple and it's ANOTHER 2CD set...

The 3CD configuration of the Essential series did a better job...

Of course, now, you can get the 5CD set that covers Kansas' first five albums for less than that box. And that covers most of what you need outside of a few songs.

Galley and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Myke

And I did, earlier tonight in the classifieds for only $12.00, inc. shipping.
    I bought all the Kansas albums up to 1978, after seeing them in a 2000 seat hall in 1976, just as they were about to explode. As I didn't give digital a chance until 1993, I felt I already had Kansas covered, I never pursued CDs.
    It wasn't until 2008, I felt I needed a digital compilation. This one, obviously, fit the bill. I'm still rewatching.
    Same for the 2015 Miracles Out Of Nowhere 3 disc documentary, which I'm watching again, tonight.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Myke

SRV. 3 CDs / 1 DVD. Vic Anesini. Previously unreleased (at the time of release, 2000) Austin City Limits performances. A real treasure.

highway chile and Clanceman like this.
  14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Wow, I could compile a REALLY long list here but just a few off the top of my head:
    1. Allman Brothers Dreams- listening to this right now, incredible box set (own the CD and vinyl)
    2. Clapton Crossroads- listened to all 6 lp's in sucession not long ago, incredible set (own the CD, vinyl)
    3. Stones mono- great set as it repleaced crackly old copies with minty originals, a few shortcomings but still incredible
    4. Beatles mono- I dont own this but bought all of the titles individually. Truly amazing job on the mastering
    5. Jimi Hendrix Purple Box- Awesome set for any Hendrix fan, vinyl version sounds fantastic
    6. Jimi Hendrix Winterland- some of the best live Hendrix you will ever hear. Essential!
    7. Who Phases- incredible sound quality, pressed in Germany- superior to the new set in my opinion
    8. Kinks mono- great sound quality, highly underrated 60's band
    9. Tom Petty 1976-1991, 1994-2014- both sets excellent, great sound quality and perfect recreation of covers
    10. Faces mono set- great sound quality, great covers, top notch set
    11. Jimi Hendrix- West Seattle Boy- lives up to the usual Hendrix quality standards, nice set
    12. Zeppelin- BBC Sessions- happy to own it, the best sound quality of these songs available
    13. Zeppelin- Crop Circles set- had the original CD version which sounds great, later picked up the vinyl, excellent

davers likes this.
  15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Picked this one up recently: "40 Years On: Back To Yasgur's Farm."
    It's a 6-CD set of Woodstock performances, from Rhino, in the original large-format box with the "peace flag" cover.

[​IMG]

16. The Ian Hunter boxed set is pretty terrific. My only complaints are 1) Proper should have included the demos on the "taster" sampler 2) It should have also included Ian's latest album. Given his age, I doubt he is goi g to record much more (then again I've been proven wrong before...)

Juggsnelson and Runicen like this.
  17. The Robert Plant boxed set with all of his WEA distributed albums is pretty good. The mastering could be better but the selections are damn near perfect.

Juggsnelson, Galley and Runicen like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Sadly, this is all too common with box sets. :sigh:

c-eling likes this.
  19. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

So can we add the George Harrison box to the list? Didnt get the box set myself, but people have been speaking pretty highly of it

20. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

The "Red" 1976-2007 box set by the Fall is pretty damned impressive!

Leepal and Imagine70 like this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I found The Misfits cd boxset at a Newbury Comics(without the coffin box)
    I never heard the sessions part before so that was fun.

At a local flea market back In 1991 or`92 I found the UK Iron Maiden The First Ten Years complete including the box.Before that time I could never afford the import singles and eps,sometimes somebody would let me hear or make a copy of one of theirs.When I got the boxset I was listening to all of those B-sides either for the first time in years if not the very first time.
    I remember before the internet as kids we had only so many stores or flea markets to get stuff within the limits of our geographic area.I remember import singles and even Rolling Stones West German London cds going for a fortune.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  22. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I was listening tonight to The Jam Fire and Skill box set tonight and thinking there's quite a long list of bands (with The Clash at the top of that list) who if they released a box like this--a live show from each year of their existence (as the Grateful Dead also did with their excellent 30 Trips Box, as an extreme example)--it'd be an all time great set. And that's certainly true for me of this box. This is a fantastic release from one of my all time favorite bands, and as a fan, as much as I could ever ask for: Six great shows in fabulous quality, excellent book, and one of the two or three finest documents of a band I was so fortunate to see multiple times back in the day. And a pretty fair representation to those who were not there of what might've made it all so great (to a point--as damn they were impossibly great as a live act ).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  23. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Hard to get now but v good!!
    [​IMG]

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

FREE - Forever.......To say Kossoff is talented, is an under statement to the enth degree....One of the half dozen players who make me wonder how anyone can play like that?

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nirvana- With The Lights Out. Plenty of rarities and demos including a lot of previously unheard stuff. Love the Kurt demos.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.