Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

"Box signed by all four Beatles", eh?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SVL, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVL

SVL New Member Thread Starter

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Where can I get one of those gold pens they signed the box with. ;)

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Anyone else need a BC-13 box set? Get it for the music, the "autographs" are free. (LOL)

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

It even includes Abby Road. Excellent!

5. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

If you believe that, I've got an original copy of the Who's Woodstock contract I'd like to sell you.

Ryan

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I get offered those all the time. When I show where they come from (the "Live At Leeds" lp), the "knowledgeable" sellers sometimes get mad at me for destroying their bright future.

7. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K., forgive me for being dumb, as I am not a vinyl collector. The seller claims that the set came out in 1970. If that were the case, all four Beatles could have signed it. Was the set actually released after Lennon died?

9. KeithH

10. SVL

Yes; these are not first pressings, as the seller would have people believe, and the Beatles did not put identical signatures by hand on thousands of boxes:)

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

1979 - delayed in the UK from 1978. I believe they were made up until around 1986. You can look at the rim copy on the Parlophone LP labels to get an approximation of when the set was from. There were three different versions of rim copy used on the Parlophone LP labels over the years this set was made. Also, the earlier boxes had laminated covers for all the LP's except Rarities. The earlier boxes had a blue cover for Rarities, but that was eventually changed to a black cover with liner notes added.

12. KeithH

Thanks for the info. Ya gotta love eBay. :rolleyes:

13. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

And don't forget...the LPs are in STUNNING condition. :)

14. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Forum Resident

You can get those gold paint markers anywhere now. If the autographs are authentic-- which of course is doubtful-- they got them at the right time since those gold paint markers weren't available to the public until 1980 so they just skirted under the wire of technology versus John's death. How convenient...

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, in that case, I'll bid a STUNNING amount! :D

16. handle

handle Forum Resident

These are "signed"

Signatures can be facsimiles.

AUTOGRAPHs are done in the person's hand directly on the item.

17. SVL

That is exactly what the seller has in the description - AUTOGRAPHED in big purple letters:)

18. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

From the e-bay description:

All ridged discs have very little signs of use and play fantastically with no scratches at all! All sleeve front and backs are stunningly bright and clean.
    THEY PLAY STUNNINGLY with NO pops, NO sticking, NO jumps, and NO crackle!!!!

I don't know if i can resist this gem...:D

19. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Not only that, but:

Plus there are other laffers:

Er... this set wasn't released until '78 or '79, so there's no way anything in it can be more than about 25 years old. And none of them can possibly be a "1st press."

Um.

Then how did he take pictures of them?

It's a shame some poor schmuck has bid over $550 for this, when mint copies can be had for much less.

Ryan

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

21. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Yeah, I paid too much for a Japanese set with a somewhat beat-up box and stone mint records, but nowhere near $550.

Ryan

22. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Well the seller now saids the following:

"It has come to my attention that the signatures on this item are not hand written by the Beatles but in fact printed! I hope my small error will not deter any buyers from what is otherwise a very collectible piece of Beatles history! Sorry for any inconvenience caused".

Now what does he do, (or the buyer for that matter) the item ended at $646.oo plus!! This box never gets this high of bids. This auction should nil and void as fas as I'm concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.