Box Tops "The Letter/Neon Rainbow" poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

3/5
    It contains some filler. Not a masterpiece but I appreciate it to have it in my collection

2. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

I picked up a sealed mono several years ago. I rate the mono "Letter" 5/5 - except for it's early fade out.

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

The thread is about the LP not the single

4. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

4/5
    My favourite Box Tops album. Aside from the hits, "I Pray for Rain", "People Make The World", "I'm your Puppet" and "She Knows How" are my favourites.

rob68 likes this.
  5. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

If you like it, the follow up album "Cry Like a Baby" is almost as good as this.

6. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

My inclination is to go for "good," but I like it too much for 60%. So I had to go 4, mainly on the strength of "Trains & Boats & Planes" and, especially, "I Pray for Rain."

3½ without bias.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I have a mono UK issue (cost me 25p). Not really my cup of tea - I gave it 3 - but I like it enough to have kept it, and once in a while it gets a spin.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I love all four Box Tops LPs from the 1960s. Each contains some really great recordings, even if each LP also contains a little filler too... but so did the LPs from a lot more respected bands. I might actually enjoy playing Non-Stop and Dimensions more than I enjoy the first two albums, but I really love them all.

sharedon, rob68, intv7 and 3 others like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have the album, as well as Dimensions by the Box Tops. I haven't played The Letter / Neon Rainbow more than a couple of times as there's a bad scuff mark on it that sounds across about half of Neon Rainbow (the track). A shame as it's otherwise excellent. Anyway, from what I remember it's a typical 60s pop LP. A few great tracks and the rest being enjoyable but unmemorable. I think Dimensions is a better album, but I've had that for years longer.

3/5 for The Letter / Neon Rainbow, not essential but nice to have and hear every now and then.

Karina Rowe likes this.
  10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I love all the Box Tops albums, especially the first two. I prefer the follow up album Cry Like A Baby, but this is still a 5/5 for me. Some of the most underrated albums of the 60s. Their version of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" is as good as the original. I love Alex's vocal on it. Other favorites are "Everything I Am" and "I Pray For Rain", but I enjoy the entire record.

11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

4/5, very good.

I like it enough to own it on LP, CD, and on reel-to-reel tape.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

3. Good but nothing more.

13. Recordfan

Recordfan Misfit Among Misfits

I appreciate this thread!..Just got the 2 cd set in the mail with the first 4 albums..plus extra tracks..digging the chimes on "I'm Your Puppet"!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

3/5
    Their singles were great. Albums simply good.

Recordfan likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very typical of a late 60's rock and roll album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.