Brand: Vinyl storage solutions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Nov 13, 2020.

1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You're thinking mil as in mm, in which case your math works.

But plastic sheeting is measured in mils which is basically one thousandth of an inch. So 1000 sleeves would be .001 * 4 * 1000 = 4 inches. But I think 4 mil applies to each layer of plastic and those dual pocket sleeves have 3 layers IIRC so that would be 12 inches.

James Glennon and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Ah! That makes sense. I got into panic mode when I thought I might lose that amount of record space, ha! Thanks for clarifying that! Phew!

JG

PS: Now if I got rid of all my old dusty record sleeves I could save 12'' of record space! Hhmmm!

eddiel likes this.
  3. fish

fish Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    _cl likes this.
  4. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

5. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

You can try Etsy. The waiting is longer, but I've had very good experience with several unrelated purchases from there.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’ve used them for a couple of years now. They’re the best. I don’t buy any other type of inner or outers.

7. vss

vss Well-Known Member

A mil is 0.001 of an inch. An inch has 1000 thousands in it. So 125 sleeves to an inch...so you're close ;)...it's about 8 inches of material. I should have said that this is for single pocket, dual pocket is 12 inches of material. Please keep in mind that compared to the standard 3 mil poly for 1000 sleeves is 6 inches.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  8. vss

vss Well-Known Member

My dividers, Made in Canada from American material are available in bulk packs of 25 for $65 USD + $16.25 shipping. They are made out of a far stronger material then polystyrene I have 1000's in record stores that take tones of daily abuse.
    Record Dividers - Blanks - White

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  9. James Glennon

Coincidentally I have read a good few comments on a local forum where guys have ditched their LPs sleeves altogether! Opposite ends of the spectrum I suppose! I have considered doing it myself.

I was in a record shop during the week and they were offering 50 single LP sleeves for €12 reduced from €20 with any purchase in the shop. Anybody familiar with the brand???

[​IMG]
    JG

10. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Yep, pay $40 to whatever sky high price a new record is now and don't protect with a $0.50 sleeve. To each his own.

Regarding the sleeve, if you want my feedback. Strictly from my polymer manufacturing background

I always find it interesting when the same Chinese PP pops up in new packaging. Typically this product is 3 mil, though I'm starting to see 4 mil product, mofi for example. While they have decent contact clarity, the haze level is high, so you will miss some of the gloss. Typical of some level recycled polymer content. The problem being what is the recycled material?
    Whats really funny is that they continue to call it high density PP, when in fact all PP has the same min. density of 0.9 g / cm3

I have samples of almost all Chinese sleeves, seam quality isn't what I'd like to see and tensile strength tends to be low due to crystallization of blended polymers, for example PE or PVC mixed with PP.

All of that being said, they are a better option to PE sleeves. However, my main concern is polymer migration over time. The reason to have an ISO 18916 test completed.

Now strictly from a sales point of view, they are well over priced by the gram weight. Converting to CAD it's basically $20 CAD for 50 x 3 mil, when you can buy 50 of my 4 mil (ISO 18916 tested) made in Canada with virgin USA resin for $22.

No insult or challenge intended.

Thanks
    Mike

recstar24 and neubian like this.
  11. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I agree 100%. I have slowly been in the process of replacing all of my sleeves to the VSS 4 mil dual pocket resealable sleeves (buying in bulk 500 at a time... still have a lot to go...).

I have always stored my record outside the jacket anyway, so going the dual pocket route was a no-brainer. The advantage of the VSS sleeve is that there is no "sleeve" to take the cover out from since it is all "integrated." Clarity is excellent and two sleeves can be used for gatefolds, too.

Note: Mike, I hope you can change your website so people outside North America can still see your products. I know you had trouble with bots and you had to cut off access, but hoping you can find a better solution than shutting off access. We worked around it last time, but i would like to be able to see your site when travelling outside the US (and you have a sale!) :righton:

12. James Glennon

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks Mike! I did have a question about sizing. My 12” 4 mil single pockets are not quite big enough for a gatefold cover, but my 13” oversized ones are a bit too big with a lot of extra excess plastic. Any thoughts to a size in between to accommodate those gatefolds a little tighter? Or possibly increasing the edge size of your current 12” ones to accommodate?

I loved using the sleevecity ones as they’re 12” outers perfectly fit a gatefold, but their extensive shipping and stock delays led me to you and overall I’ve been very happy.

14. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I use two so I can continue to open the gatefold. It is 2x the price, but as some of the gatefolds are 2LP anyway, it’s a more comfortable fit to put one record per slot vs shove two in there.

I typically protect my pricier records with the two 4mil sleeves with pockets. I definitely want to protect a Mofi, MMJ, and some of the other titles that have increased in price, but for me personally, I don’t feel a need to protect a $20-30 record to keep it pristine, or protect a jacket that already shows sign of some ringwear to protect it from getting marginally more ringwear. Of course if a title starts that way and becomes rare or worth more, I would, but using two 4mil sleeves per gatefold or 1 per non-gatefold with a collection my size would probably have me spending $750 or so in protective sleeves, which I don’t want to do.

If you have a big enough collection that high quality protective sleeves are going to run you hundreds of $ to over $1000, it’s probably a big enough collection that you’re sliding records past each other to get them in or out not so often.

recstar24 likes this.
  15. James Glennon

That is the great thing about UK sleeves, they are laminated so no ringwear.

JG

16. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Very good point! I'm going to turn off that filter shortly and see if the BOT's come back. lol

17. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Yep. You're right. It's a nasty issue with album sizes being all over the map. I am considering a size in between the two. Sadly, some people aren't as polite as you are and they literally lose their "poop" over sleeve sizes. lol
    Thanks

recstar24 likes this.
  18. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Yes, it definitely can be a costly venture! Most folks tend to sleeves as they buy records, that way there no big spending on sleeves. And I agree, don't waste money on albums that are beyond "value".
    Thanks
    Mike

captouch and recstar24 like this.
  19. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Laminate film is highly durable. I will soon be launching my first laminate products. Good choice on your part!

recstar24 and James Glennon like this.
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

understood :) I appreciate hearing me out and understand it may not be possible, but I do appreciate even taking the time to consider it. The quality is great and am happy to continue to support!

AudioOut58 likes this.
  21. vss

vss Well-Known Member

The problem is the tolerance in modern high speed machinery is 3 to 4 mm, So if you look at the 12" being 318 to 322 and the 13" being 328 to 332 mm, it's like trying to split the difference and still deal with the tolerance. Effectively it could be like making one or the other instead of something in between. Given that most people have no manufacturing background and some have little to no patience, it may be looking for trouble I really don't need, as I'll only be trying to explain this over and over again. That said, I've been thinking of trying it. Thanks

recstar24 likes this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Understood! Thank you so much for even taking the time :)

23. fish

fish Senior Member

I ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OES238/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (50) 12 x 14.5 for $53 I also want to use them as markers and dividers for other things besides A-Z
    I let you know if they are any good.

24. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

That listing is for 30 not 50...

That said I prefer the 14" divider to 13 ¼". Especially when combined with using 2x VSS sleeves on gatefolds which makes them stick out a bit more since there is always some space left in the sleeves.

25. fish

fish Senior Member

yeah, typo. I was actually going to cut most of them down to 6" X 14.5"
    On top of A-Z I wanted to make some names. Like Beatles under B, Coryell under L, Hendrix under J :rolleyes: I got small 0.5" letters for that and larger 1.5" for A-Z.

I mocked-up something like this the other day with an old record. Glued inside a sleeve.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022