Brand: Vinyl storage solutions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Does anyone know if you can store the record outside of the album cover in their Gatefold Outer Sleeves? Or do you need to keep the records stored inside the cover?

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Looks like the lps are stored in the sleeve

He used to sell these extra bits that you could use to attach two dual pocket sleeves together to create a gatefold sleeve but I can't find them on the website so they're probably discontinued.

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

you just use 2 dual pocket sleeves for gatefolds, theres no extra piece.

mikemoon and Isamet like this.
  4. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Yes, I understand they are stored in the sleeves, but can the vinyl be stored out of the sleeve? I guess unless its a very snug fit seemingly you could

5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

yes the record fits just fine in the sleeve

6. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

Thanks Mike!
    Any chance you're considering a dual pocket version of this size in the future? I've had to use your 13" version on several of my larger album covers and they're a bit too roomy for my taste. A 12.75", (or even 12.5+") dual pocket would be more usable for my needs. If not, no big deal. You still have a grateful life-long customer in TX.

7. Budley

Budley Forum Resident

Okay, just watched Jason's excellent interview, (thanks @sharkshark) ... so apparently the standard sleeves are already at or about 12.5" already. So my magic number is going to be the 12.75" in a dual pocket format. If ever that comes to fruition, I'll be stocking up. Thanks

8. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

hah, thanks for the shout out!

Budley likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd just message/email Mike. He's really good at getting back to you. I've emailed him a few times over the years. Might as well make sure. Looks like there would be room but some of those doubles can get quite bulky with the heavier weight cardboard and 180g vinyl.

Isamet likes this.
  10. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Hi.
    That's a good question and obviously you can store your record anyway you feel fit, if the gatefold album isn't overly thick. If it's a tight fit, you maybe shouldn't, as you may cause a "rash rub". Though that's extremely rare with any type of inner sleeve.
    Personally, I would be concerned about someone picking up the gatefold and the record sliding out accidentally, but if it's just you handling your records and taking lifting/carrying precautions you should be fine.
    Thanks
    Mike

this_machine, Isamet and eddiel like this.
  11. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Thank you very much, Mike!

12. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I just wanted to post my appreciation to Mike at VSS for your new 4 mil Gatefold Outer Sleeves. I bought 100 to re-sleeve my Tone Poets, Verve Acoustic Sound Series and other similar hi-quality modern gatefold pressings. It is a quality product and the records look great in them. I appreciate that they are manufactured in North America by a veteran owned business. Thank you for your service!

The sleeves are easy enough to install on a gatefold LP. The only slightly tricky part is getting the LP past the slit cut out on the inside center seam. There is a YouTube video showing the technique of using pieces of paper as a slip sheet and once I did it for the first time, the remaining sleeves went quickly. I also wasn't thrilled with the idea of side flaps. I generally HATE sleeves with flaps of any kind. However I can see the need for a flap on these gatefold sleeves to contain the LP in the proper position in the jacket when you close the sleeve. The flaps are scored so they are easy enough to fold and tuck into place. Removing the LP is still fairly easy in spite of the flaps. Oh and did I mention the gatefold LPs look beautiful in these sleeves.

The other sign these gatefold sleeves are a home run is I just ordered a bunch more to house most of my other gatefolds. They just look so good in these sleeves. Thanks to Mike for all of the creative and quality products offered by your company.

13. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Nothing but good things to say about VSS. I bulk ordered 500 ct of the 2 mil inner sleeves earlier this year and the quality is top notch as always. Crushes the MoFi sleeves in terms of rigidness. No crumples to deal with.

My only wish is that VSS finds a way to bring back the clear inner sleeves they use to have. I have a lot of colored records that would look terrific in them. I'd bulk older 500 or more of those instantly.

kobe84114 likes this.
  14. kobe84114

kobe84114 New Member

yes I was going to purchase some more but have recently seen that they are no longer offered in the site. I always get compliments on them for my colored records.

15. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Don't give up on me yet. I've been doing a lot of work on that item. However, the reformulation is driving me nuts. I've managed to get rid of any exotic compounds, but trying to get a lower CoF without increasing the static load is a challenge!

[​IMG] image Instagram

16. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Anyone ever had one of these?

Fry's,"Ronco Record Vault."

"I still rember the combination...three!"

17. vss

vss Well-Known Member

dasacco likes this.
  18. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

FYI, got a chance to look at VSS's new box set sleeves, and they're going to cost me a LOT of money to buy a whole bunch.... :)

Basically, they seem to be exactly what I've been looking for.

Jim0830 and nosliw like this.
  19. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Will be nice if these can become available in Australia at a reasonable cost. ;)

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

It looks like these box set sleeves in your video will do the trick for the handful I have in my collection. Though I own around four box sets that will not fit, which are about the size and thickness as your Bruce Springsteen box, so I hope @vss will look into that in the near future.

21. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sounds about right for Canada to the US.

He offers free shipping over $50 US.

gabbleratchet7 and dasacco like this.
  23. vss

vss Well-Known Member

Customers have been sending me pics of their box sets in my new form fitted sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. vss

vss Well-Known Member

More customer pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

timzigs and recstar24 like this.
  25. vss

vss Well-Known Member

A few more pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hogues, Jim0830 and recstar24 like this.