Brandee Younger - fantastic (current!) jazz harpist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by somnar, Oct 17, 2020.

1. somnar

somnar Senior Member Thread Starter

She has a number of records out, but I came across her just a few weeks ago when I was hired to shoot her performance at the Art Center at Duck Creek a couple of weeks ago. Not only was I blown away at the gig, but seeing (and hearing) it over and over during the editing process only served to reinforce what a great player she is. Channels both Alice Coltrane and Dorothy Ashby, but brings her own thing to it as well.

Sharing the video here, but the records are available via all the usual channels and are well worth checking out, IMO.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

somnar likes this.
  3. arem

arem Forum Resident

Bumping this thread to let people know that Younger’s new LP with her husband Derron Douglas is absolutely beautiful. I wasn’t sure about an LP of harp/bass duets but it took about 60 seconds to convince me. Check it out here: Force Majeure, by Dezron Douglas & Brandee Younger

Ryan_Pretzel and somnar like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

Brandee just released the first song ("Reclamation") from her upcoming Impulse! debut SOMEWHERE DIFFERENT.

Here's the brief description as posted on YouTube:

Recorded at the legendary Van Gelder Studios and in New York City from November 2020 to February 2021 'Somewhere Different' expertly showcases Brandee’s ethos of weaving genres that pay homage to her predecessors while forging new sonic ground. The eight track collection, Produced by Dezron Douglas, features Allan Mednard on Drums, Rashaan Carter on Bass, Trumpeter Maurice Brown, Tenor Saxophonist Chelsea Baratz, Flutist Anne Drummond and Drummer & Drum Programming by Marcus Gilmore. The set also features a Special Appearance by legendary Bassist Ron Carter on “Olivia Benson” and “Beautiful is Black”, and Guest Vocals from Tarriona “Tank” Ball from Tank and the Bangas on “Pretend.”

Brandee Younger Announces Impulse! Debut, Somewhere Different

[​IMG]

TRACKLIST:

1. Reclamation
    2. Spirit U Will
    3. Pretend
    4. Somewhere Different
    5. Love & Struggle
    6. Black Is Beautiful
    7. Olivia Benson
    8. Tickled Pink

6. pghmusiclover

Bumping this thread just for the heck of it!

somnar likes this.
  7. pghmusiclover

Another track from the forthcoming album!

So far Brandee released the opening track and now the closing track!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  8. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Force Mejeure is a gem. One of the best albums I've heard in the last year.

somnar likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

To anyone interested, Brandee's album is now on streaming services -- the vinyl is due in two weeks.

I enjoyed hearing it very much1

10. pghmusiclover

11. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

Anyone heard the vinyl yet? How has impulse been on new vinyl lately?

12. pghmusiclover

The vinyl is just released tomorrow...

13. pghmusiclover

I have been enjoying the digital release on Spotify for a few weeks now. I picked up the vinyl today and will look forward to hearing it over the weekend. Minor aesthetic complaint: I'm surprised this wasn't a gatefold cover, something that seemed to be pretty standard for most Impulse releases.

14. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Really nice album! I especially liked how seamless the harp was with the rest of the ensemble; it sounded very organic. I enjoyed the faster-tempo side of the album ("Reclamation" to "Somewhere Different") in particular.

somnar and pghmusiclover like this.
  15. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

The various Shabaka Hutchings projects on Impulse! all sound fine. Will have to check out the new Brandee Younger soon!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  16. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Thanks, was unaware of her, she is great! What a sound. Nice Alice Coltrane at around 22 min mark.

mschrist and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

New album announced!

[​IMG]

Harpist Brandee Younger is defying expectations. Over the past fifteen years, she has worked relentlessly to stretch boundaries and limitations for harpists. In 2022, she broke new ground by becoming the first black woman ever to be nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition. Ever-expanding as an artist, her album, Brand New Life, builds on the already rich oeuvre, seamlessly transcending genre. As the title of the album suggests, Brand New Life is about forging new paths–artistic, personal, political, and spiritual. “We're bringing new life to [Dorothy Ashby’s] old compositions. We're creating new life…for the instrument,” Younger said. The album includes original works by Brandee Younger, reinterpretations of Dorothy Ashby classics, along with a couple of covers that redefine the category.

Tracklist:

Side A:
    1. You're A Girl For One Man Only (3:59)
    2. Brand New Life (feat. Mumu Fresh) (4:32)
    3. Come Live With Me (Interlude) (2:23)
    4. Livin' and Lovin' in My Own Way (feat. Pete Rock) (4:58)

Side B:
    1. Running Game Intro (1:07)
    2. Running Game (4:39)
    3. Moving Target (4:21)
    4. Dust (feat. Meshell N’degeocello) (4:36)
    5. The Windmills of Your Mind (feat. 9th Wonder) (2:56)
    6. If It’s Magic (3:30)

18. pghmusiclover

19. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I was privileged enough to see Ms. Younger's set last weekend at the Big Ears music festival - simply transcendent and so "right on". Really looking forward to getting my copy of the new album!

20. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

Perhaps the weakest tracks on the new album are the collaborations. Pete Rock and 9th Wonder sound like they’ve phoned their contribution in (and I like both of them usually). Makaya McCraven usually does a much better job with Brandee on his own stuff, in comparison. The Meshell Ndegeocello track is ‘ok’.

Actually, the covers don’t sit quite right with me for some reason- they don’t work as well as on Force Majeure.

21. pghmusiclover

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I know this is going to sound odd, but I've fallen down a rabbit hole of black, female harpists (any genre).
    It started with this album:

[​IMG]

...which contained a track written by Brandee Younger, the only composer on the disc I wasn't familiar with.

(It also has a track composed by Alice Coltrane, who I've known for many years.)

So naturally I looked up Younger and ordered her latest album. Most of her older ones are completely available, though I suspect I'll snatch up the ones I can soon enough.

But this in turn lead me to Dorothy Ashby, who I'd never heard of, and I don't think I'm easy to stump when it comes to people who recorded jazz in the 1950s and '60s. I love what I've heard so far and ordered a 4-titles-on-2-CD set of hers.

And then I ended up on this page:

4 Black Female Harpists Making a Lasting Impact in the World of Classical Music

Following those links, I found that there's a new Dorothy Ashby six-LP vinyl box set that looks wonderful. And while it's not expensive for what you get, it's rather prohibitive given the excessive import duties I'd be slammed with.

Dorothy Ashby - With Strings Attached (6LP Boxset) at STP RECORDS

Looking forward to exploring more Brandee Younger and the rest!

(Before anybody says anything, I'm not deliberately limiting this to black women; it's just worked out that way. I have CDs by white harpists, and it's not common to find men playing the concert harp.)

somnar and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. somnar

somnar Senior Member Thread Starter

There is Zeena Parkins, but she’s a totally different thing. Brilliant though…

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  24. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Just popped by to say Brandee’s great!

Ryan_Pretzel and pghmusiclover like this.
  25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I did say any genre. The Music for String Quartet and Percussion looks interesting. I'm guessing she doesn't actually play at harp on the album, but it still sounds intriguing.

Apologies if the topic drift annoys anyone.

somnar likes this.