Braun PS-500 turntable, designed by Dieter Rams

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Perfect! Thank you so much!

action pact likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

De nada!

I hope it works out! These are neat turntables.

dastinger likes this.
  3. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Oh nice portuguese ahah.

Me too, I was supposed to have an answer by today but didn't. I'll let you know :)

action pact likes this.
  4. action pact

I visited your beautiful country (Lisbon and Sintra) two years ago and had the most wonderful time. :love:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    dastinger likes this.
  5. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

It's a beautiful country indeed, really proud of it. Next time make sure to visit Porto, you'll absolutely love it!

action pact likes this.
  6. action pact

I look forward to it!

7. jdlouhy

jdlouhy New Member

I recently acquired a PS500 as well that needs some adjustment of the suspension as well, but I have not been able to find a clear example of how to adjust the springs above the oil dampers. Some forum posts mention the circular washer with a notch in it above the dampers, but they don't seem to really move. How did you end up adjusting the springs?

8. action pact

I’ll respond later! Difficult on a phone.

jdlouhy likes this.
  9. action pact

OK, I'm on my computer now...

I remember getting some stiff resistance when I tried to turn it, but the flat, notched thing is indeed what you'll need to turn in order to adjust the suspension. Try putting some pressure on it when you attempt to turn it, that might help.

10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I didn't get it.

I'll try to sum up the story. I am in the process of moving. I sold my house and I was looking for an apartment a few weeks ago (bought one in the mean time). In one of the apartments I visited, I saw a turntable stored away in a room and, obviously, I tried to see what was the model. To my surprise, I realised that Braun made turntables at some point in time. I had no idea as, for me, Braun was always a brand that made small household items like hairdryers or irons.

Then I talked to the house owner who said she'd need to speak to her husband. Unfortunately, there is a lot of sentimental value involved since that TT was gifted to him by his father when he turned 18 so he said he isn't selling it for anything.

So yeh, now I feel a bit depressed :D

Thanks a ton @action pact for all your insight and help :)

11. action pact

Aw poop!

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

“25 Pound Sterling” for an original idler Garrard 401? I don’t think do. Something is amiss...

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In the UK, a Garrard 401 was a bit cheaper than a SL-95B or Zero 100 then. This was the motor unit only sans plinth and arm.

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Wow. Incredible.

15. eco17

eco17 Forum Resident

You are right, I stand corrected! It was in fact 25 Pound 9 Shillings and 7 Pence Plus any applicable tax (according to HiFiYearbook Page 87). Sorry if I had you jumping into your time machine without the 9s 7d, which would have caused you a second trip back! :)

I think there were 12 or 16 shillings to the Pound so I should have rounded up., so then 26 Pound? FYI the Lab80 Mark2 was about 26 Pound as well, (With Arm). If ever you find them, grab the old HiFi Year Books, they are a revelation!

16. eco17

eco17 Forum Resident

There are several other Braun tables that slightly pre-dated the '500 and a couple after, that are equally interesting. I just rebuilt the motor on a '420 (There was a 410, 420, 430 and my favorite, the PCS 52) that resides inside the Audio 300 that is similarly engineered. It looks smart and sounds good! Maybe you might find one of these in your travels.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    dastinger likes this.
  17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thank you so much for this! I'll definitely be looking for one.

In fact, I'm always on the fence between going vintage or new. A Rega P6 is what I'd like to own new, but I always wonder if I can spend around €500 on a vintage table would get me something that tops it.

18. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

20 Shillings to the Pound, 12 Pence to the Shilling.

19. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

Just downloaded the doc will watch it later, seems like an interesting guy.

rich100 likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm curious: with the pitch control, what is the top speed above 78 RPM? What is the bottom below? In a series of articles for TNT-Audio, I've written about turntables for 78s and mentioned Braun, but I couldn't find much specific info.

21. action pact

I'm not sure what the adjustment range is. Let me see if the owner's manual offers any details.

[​IMG]

22. action pact

Got it!
    +/- 2.5%

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks! When the opportunity presents, I'll update my article.

In case you're wondering, the reason for concern is that "78s" made before the introduction of electric recording in 1925 almost never actually revolve at 78 RPM, and many for a few years thereafter also run "off" nominal standard. Speeds can range from the 60s (early Caruso, for example) up to 100 or maybe more (center-start etched-label Pathe). Edison discs pretty reliably and Columbia discs nominally run at 80; many or most Victors from after the mid-aughts, the company's contrary claims notwithstanding, run around 75 or 76, etc. So 2.5% (at the 78 setting, a bit less than +/- 2 RPM) would not really be enough for the collector of these early records, although it would be more than fine for records after, say, 1930 or so.

action pact likes this.
  24. RobinOC

RobinOC Member

Back in the 70's and 80's I used Grado cartridges on my PS-500 and they worked great IMHO. I eventually hooked it up to a PS Audio Elite Plus integrated amp and played back through a pair of Spica TC-50 speakers.

I still have my PS-500, although it's been unused for decades, replaced by a AR The Turntable with a Linn arm. Be careful of the finish on the top deck, it rubs off fairly easily.

I might have had the same problem with the suspension as you mentioned. I'll have to bring the TT out and take a look. I remember it dragging. I think I had a problem with the tonearm, something was making it jump to the right no matter the counterweight or anti-skating force set. It didn't come with a headshell, I bought the display unit at the audio shop. I used the typical compatible headshell but didn't know they were too long and affected tracking. I wonder if the place you ordered yours from still has any NOS?

Actually, my AR The Turntable needs some suspension upgrades, luckily someone is making them still. I went through a period of 20 years when I didn't play LP's at all. A could years ago I bought an AT 120 turntable, for the speed adj so I could more easily play along with my guitar. Not a great TT though. Looking today at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO.

So, is your Braun still going strong? If you have any tips or advice on it please pass it on to me.

Thank you,
    Robert

25. RobinOC

RobinOC Member

I would consider selling you my Braun PS-500 but I think shipping would cost a fortune. That is one heavy turntable, built like a WWII battleship. It is in need of some repair. I think it had the same leaking problem as the other Braun owner you replied to. I haven't used it since the mid-80's. It is a beautifully designed TT, inside and out.

dastinger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.