“El Camino- A Breaking Bad Movie” From Creator Vince Gilligan*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Game Of Breaking Bad. :)

2. alexpop

The series ended six years ago. Don’t suppose the actors have aged that much.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah - he must have dirt on somebody making Westworld. Westworld has been pretty much getting whomever they want in these roles... and then they resort to Aaron Paul? Doesn't make any sense - he's terrible.

4. Tony Soprano was also a ****ing idiot.

The past is prologue.

"Remember when" is a comforting teacher in the present. "Remember when" is always circular, as it inevitably points to the future. "Remember when" teaches us what do, and what not to do. "Remember when" can also be a living hell.

It's all in the context, yet it should never be dismissed outright. There's value there. Even if it's haunting. Soprano was spooked by many ghosts, rather than embracing what the past could teach him.

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Counterpoint: Westworld itself is a terrible, aimless, wanky show that seems to go nowhere slow. To me, it seems as if it's a series in search of a story. Not sure how you do that with the great cast and crew they have. I've been informed that the problems behind the scenes of the show are numerous.

Also counterpoint: Aaron Paul is great.

Precisely. And how many times did they use flashbacks as a tool to great effect in Breaking Bad itself?

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He was too close to his inner demons to see them or exorcise them. Call that idiocy or not, it's the human condition.

The story is that the inventors, investors and inventions of Westworld all had different, complex agendas at different times, which are best juxtaposed by showing the story evolve as it has. Brilliant, actually. But far too nuanced for most.

He's great at certain roles. He has limited range, but so do some others on Westworld. The show manages to pull off an incredible production by casting the right people in the right roles. I have every confidence such will be the case with Paul in Westworld. I don't have that confidence in another Gilligan production. He is milking this BB fame for all it's worth, and has badly overplayed it. BCS is a prime example. The show was at its best when he focused on the relationship between Jimmy and his brother--which had zilch to do with Breaking Bad. Since that arc was ditched in favor of BB setup, it has gone downhill fast.

Precisely. And how many times did they use flashbacks as a tool to great effect in Breaking Bad itself?[/QUOTE]
    Frankly, he looked too old to play a recent high school dropout. He acts young, but that will only work in certain roles.

7. He was an idiot for making such a blanket statement, not always as a whole. If there's really anything idiotic about Tony Soprano is that he's paying the shrink to help him see, but before he goes in he puts on his sex blinders, where all he sees is the shrink.

I'd like to think that most humans are smarter than that.

enro99 likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

I get the story, so you don't have to condescend. But it's not particularly brilliantly told at all if the concept makes the show a grind to watch, and the show comes off padded and seems to spin its wheels as it did most of the time for both seasons.

This is something both Nolan brothers struggle with, IMO--great ideas and high concept, but the execution is lacking most of the time. At least Christopher Nolan makes coherent, watchable work more often than not.

enro99 likes this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He was saying he didn't want to talk about what Melfi wanted him to look at, but I'm using the blanket statement because I don't want to talk about what Gilligan wants us to look at.

He got a lot of ideas about how to handle business from Melfi. She had blinders, too. By the time she realized she was nothing more than a sounding board for a sociopath, she fired Tony--right after AJ attmpted suicide.

It's hugely entertaining with amazing sets and acting, genre-bending, several sub-plots to keep you engaged. I can't think of any padding in it and just because the episodes or seasons aren't tied up neatly with all issues resolved doesn't mean it spins its wheels most of the time.

I attributed much of Jonathan Nolan's vision to Christopher, but the two are hugely gifted and use visual symbols like chilren's toys, people washed up on the shore to communicate more in a moment than producers like Gilligan can communicate in several seasons of television. That may sound condescending but I'm just speaking to what resonates with me.

10. NettleBed

I guess you don't understand what counterpoint is. My "point" about Westworld was that they can get whomever they want to be in it (as evidenced by the quality of the acting talent in it). I didn't say anything about what I think the quality of the show is.

Dear God, Paul is a terrible actor. As evidenced by the cratering of his career since BB ended.

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

(1) Aaron Paul shows glimpses of great acting from time to time. I saw some James Dean in him sometimes - like he was emulating that style - which was quite good. But that wasn't often, because mostly in BB they had him severely depressed, angry, acting like a dunce or a child, or out of his mind. I think he can act when he wants to and is given the role.

(2) One of the worst parts of BCS was "Chuck". I didn't enjoy the character. The acting was fine - just didn't get the character. I didn't like Jimmy's neurotic obsession with him - it just seemed odd. And I was glad to see him go. After that the series became better.

(3) If Gilligan has a massively winning show that critics and viewers love and crave ... keep it going with spin-offs, movies, whatever. What's so wrong with that?

enro99 likes this.
  12. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i'm a huge Breaking Bad fan, but i have my doubts this is going to be very good. if Vince Gilligan really wants to work with these actors again, why not create a totally different series rather than rehash a story we already know?

13. NettleBed

Has there ever been a really good non-animated film that came from a TV show?

By that I don't mean "it wasn't terrible," but something that was just as good or better than the best of the TV show?

Of all that there have been, the only one I can think of right now is "Wrath of Kahn."

Too bad they're going down this road.

14. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Action, plot development, and resolution without the long drawn-out domestic arguments:)

Gumboo likes this.
  15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

According to this article, they're bringing back several characters that have been confirmed dead in the series (Jane Margolis, Ehrmantraut). So that means to me, they'll be doing one of two things; flashbacks, or some sort of interquel (not a sequel or a prequel, but a different, tangent story that happened alongside original events). But I doubt it's an interquel, and my guess is it'll open with WW recovering from his gunshot wound in a hospital, perhaps then escaping, looking for Jessie to tell his plan of both turning themselves in for the purposes of clearing Jessie's name, and WW "doing the right thing" by going to prison for his reaming days, thereby winning back the graces of his wife and son who would be at his side when he dies.

Bryan Cranston to Appear in 'Breaking Bad' Movie 'Greenbrier'

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. alexpop

If most of the original cast are in it, then it could be a Jessie Pinkman dream.

Aside ...Lordy mama..Heisenberg is alive with Tom Curtis lookalike.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

I assume this is an unfortunate typo? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jy3iix, Matt Richardson and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

Is it possible that a WW lookalike was killed. Completely hypothetical, but wt ..anything is possible with this movie conclusion?

19. alexpop

A hilarious typo for a change. :laugh:

hbbfam likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Hard to tell at this stage of the game how it will turn out. I'm going to keep an open mind about the project and have faith that Gilligan knows what he's doing.

Chrome_Head, enro99 and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

Better Call Saul was a success. Although the BB movie /original cast is mind boggling just the concept alone.

Chrome_Head, enro99 and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

They should set the movie 6 or 7 years later than BB - just so they don't have to go to ridiculous lengths to make the characters look younger. I guess if they do flashbacks containing the dead characters, such as Walt and Jane, they'd have to make an exception for that. One of the problems I have with BCS is how much older the characters look --- around ten years earlier!

GregM likes this.
  23. alexpop

Hope it’s not a series of flashbacks. There’s those missing months when WW was hibernating in the log cabin maybe it revolves around that.

24. Chrome_Head

Still would’ve been the same time period when Jessie was held captive by the Neo-Nazis and Jane and Mike would’ve been dead.

25. alexpop

Hank must still be alive if he’s in earlier plot line for the film adaptation, though he’s not mentioned in the movie cast, or Gus either. Robert Forster/Ed is in the mentioned in the Movie hence me thinking of that possibility, the rest being flashbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.