Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Such a iconic look.

Greenbriar.
    The follow up to Breaking Bad. Pinkman’s fingerprints found at the lab. Jessie on the run.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  2. alexpop

Both getting movies made.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  3. alexpop

Hank‘s got his own beer out, Schraderbrau.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. alexpop

Friday Night Lights?
    Never heard of it.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm currently watching Friday Night Lights everyday, a network I watch runs it daily! Outstanding TV series based on the outstanding movie that was based on the outstanding book!;)

TheSeldomSeenKid and Tim S like this.
  6. alexpop

Soap opera in a jock strap.
    One IMDb review. :D

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Way off the mark - this series has real heart, like you have not seen before.

rburly, TheSeldomSeenKid and jlocke08 like this.
  8. alexpop

Started watching TheSopranos again this time blu ray box.

9. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

For years I would have said The Sopranos beating out Breaking Bad by the slimmest of margins. But I just recently watched The Wire for the first time (60 episodes in about ten days...the house came to a standstill lol). What an intense experience! It’s my new number one.

Ahab, trumpet sounds, asdf35 and 4 others like this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Amazingly, you can watch it two more times before thoroughly getting it all in. The secondary characters become far less random and much more human and consistent.

The easter egg I find fascinating is the journey of the ring from a corner boss who's short to Marlo to Omar to the dirty cop to Michael.

robertawillisjr and EddieMann like this.
  11. alexpop

Must have had The Sopranos bd box on my shelve for three years and never had the inclination till the other night. Was like a welcome friend.

12. alexpop

The Sopranos film is next year,2020. It has got Ray Liotta on board now.Be nice if De Niro was also on board (though unlikely as he’s never watched The Sopranos).

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This show got resurrected because Drake bought the rights to it. A new third season just dropped on Netflix. I’m watching season 1 now.

14. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

The Wire can’t hold a flame to Sopranos or BB. Its a little overrated IMO... maybe it’s because I live in Baltimore :shrug:

15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was tough to relate to anyone in The Wire (similar problem to Lost), but it was right up there with the best shows due to the fantastic writing. Yes, if you already have to deal with Baltimore every day, you might not find it as interesting. I spent a lot of time there in the mid-'90s and there were a few times I really felt I was in a sketchy area/situation. New Haven had a similar vibe but I didn't spend enough time there for a real comparison.

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Never been to Baltimore. I think The Wire very much belongs in this group. It was even better than I remembered when I rewatched it all. I do think some of the younger actors were not particularly good. Also the characters Marlo Stanfield and Brother Mouzone were not good additions to the cast. Those are minor complaints, as a whole, it's a great show, worthy of its reputation.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Wire was my #1 All Time Favorite TV Drama, until Breaking Bad came out later. Although, hard to compare The Wire to other Dramas, as I consider that Series a Docudrama, as it was like holding up a mirror to the City Of Baltimore, which was the Main Character itself-IMO(although Bubbles was the Heart & Soul of that Series). Really, the story could have taken place in most America Cities(or any Port City for the 2nd Season), as the Series dealt with issues facing all Cities, but David Simon having been a Reporter with the Baltimore Sun covering the Police Department, knew the City well. Ed Burns also was key contributor to 'The Wire' with his background not only as a Homicide Detective, but also as a Public School Teacher(which might be why Season 4 focusing on the Baltimore School System was the Best Season-IMO).

There was a Pre MiniSeries on HBO originally called 'The Corner' that covered life in an inner-city neighborhood based on another Book written by Simon(who also wrote 'Homicide-A Year on the Killings Streets' that NBC made a Great TV Show, 'Homicide-Life on the Streets' for in the '90s).

Although, have not been there in several years, I have been to Baltimore several times as a kid including attending Os Games at the Old Stadium and then the first year that Camden Yards opened in 1993(although I am not into Baseball anymore as too boring to me, was a Cal Ripkin Jr Fan as a kid). Loved how the Wire filmed a scene at Camden Yards and the Lexington Market. Also, great City for Hard Shell Crabs. Went back later to see the Aquarium.

Anyways, my main point was that seeing The Wire as a Docudrama, which was so much like real life that some Characters were played by Real People from the Streets and not all were Professional Actors at the time, which help provide an Authentic Feel to the Series, is that I really do not compare it fictional Dramatic Series I consider really good like Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Hannibal, Rescue Me, Damages, The Americans & Friday Night Lights(still have not seen Ozark, Narcos, House of Cards, Oz, Stranger Things among a few other Series on my 'To Watch' List yet).

18. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

All three are excellent. I would rank them as

The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad

trumpet sounds and AveryKG like this.
  19. alexpop

Breaking Bad
    Sopranos
    The Wire

20. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    The Wire

21. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I tried watching bathe Wire. I couldn't make it through the first episode, so I started a Sopranos rewatch again

22. diveintoyesterday

diveintoyesterday Forum Resident

The Sopranos for me.
    The Pine Barrens episode where Paulie and Christopher were stuck in the woods was just genius....

23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

1. Wire
    2. Sopranos
    3. Breaking Bad

Mad Men better than all, IMO.

24. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Think that was actually my favourite episode ....hilarious

Dave Hoos and diveintoyesterday like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri : [turning to Christopher] You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.
    Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like ****.

g.z., Dave Hoos, EddieMann and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.