Breaking down the psychedelic experience in music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Indigo Lines, May 15, 2019.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Sure, but the interesting thing about this thread is the difference between "trippy" (or "head") music, which is broader, and the stereotypical "60s psychedelic" style with the screaming guitar and tons of reverb. It's probably even confusing to call it "trippy" music, because sometimes the music doesn't sound explicitly "weird" at all (think acoustic Grateful Dead) but it still complements the psychedelic experience.

With some bands, like Yes and the Dead, they play in a style where the actual musical elements (like rhythm and melody) are developed and varied in a "trippy" way, even if the song they're playing might not sound that different from any other straight-ahead rock song. The Dead did this for basically their whole career even as they went through a lot of different musical styles.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

John Fahey

Sandy Bull

Ambient Eno

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

"CIRCLE IN THE ROUND" by Miles Davis

check that one out
    it's also interesting to note that that is a 1967 jazz recording.

also....HE LOVED HIM MADLY by Miles

pure bliss!!!

4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Frank Zappa “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” is quite fun to listen to while tripping. Same with Kantner’s “Blows Against The Empire” and “Sunfighter.” Moody Blues “To Our Children’s...” and “In Search Of...”

For me, the essence of psychedelic music is surprise. Unexpected juxtapositions.

5. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i never didn't trip. the first time i knowingly took acid was in 68 a couple houses down from the infamous house they tell me i once lived in.
    i can't say with certainty if it was a tuesday afternoon? but i do remember hearing that cheery moody lp that afternoon. in fact, it still resonates.

i'm not the result of this experiment they hoped for.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Peter Walker’s Rainy Day Raga is the ultimate trip and mood setter. Instrumental guitar music written and played for Timothy Leary’s parties and gatherings.

7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

You're the result of an experiment? What kind of experiment? Did it in any way involve the reanimation of human bodies through the application of electricity? I hope not but secretly I hope so.

jay.dee and Swirly Wilbury like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think that the inescapable conclusion is that things have moved on since the 60's - the 60's psychedelic music is not necessarily the best music to listen to when having a psychedelic experience. I'd offer that perhaps a lot of 60's psychedelia was not necessarily crafted to enhance the experience but rather just communicate openness or understanding of the phenomena. "Hey, look at us, we're into this 'psychedelia' thing too." A lot of 60's psychedelic music is probably better appreciated today as cultural artifacts then as a practical choice for a psychedelic experience. There's no reason why people should feel bound to the 60's - it just happened to be there first.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I love a lot of psychedelic music, but have zero experience with tripping, and pretty limited experience with other, er, stimulants.

But I'm reminded of a story I've told a few times in the past on this forum. In the early 90s, PBS did a show on The Grateful Dead. They played considerable excerpts from one of their live performances (I have no idea which one or of what vintage). They also had the requisite light show behind them.

At some point in the midst of one of the Dead's spacier epics, they put the light show full-screen for several minutes.

It was quite intense, and I remember thinking to myself "Wait a minute — you mean you're supposed to listen to this music…watch this light show…AND take acid??"

The present elements were plenty enough for me!

There's more than one flavor of psychedelic music, of course, but some of the best of it takes you to a different place you're never been to before. I've always loved the moment when the music sort of becomes unhinged from its traditional moorings and takes off into those unknown realms.

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Peter Gabriel - Passion.

ARK, SRC and footlooseman like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Last time one of the best things I played was "Supernaut" by Black Sabbath...Grateful Dead live always seems to be very friendly.

Buddybud and footlooseman like this.
  12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Try 'Sex Machine" by Sly and the Family Stone, although you might not get the joke at the end.

jerol

Ignatius and FredHubbard like this.
  13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

kendo and bzfgt like this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Put this on while you're peaking and I guarantee it'll sound like you've never heard it before.

kendo, bzfgt, YardByrd and 2 others like this.
  16. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

One of the most memorable experiences for me was listening to Fairport’s “A Sailor’s Life” while tripping at a friends house. The build and the pulse seemed to marry perfectly with the shimmer of the walls and the carousel of lights as our minds wandered further on their journeys three steps to the left. We put Future Sound of London on later and that was fun too.

trumpet sounds, bzfgt, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  17. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

For when you want a congenial watery flow to float along on.

the Allman Brothers Band - High Falls

18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

1. Visit Southeast Asian tropical island.
    2. Wait for a nighttime rainstorm.
    3. Go out in the pasture and collect what grew on water buffalo patties.
    4. Make and eat omelet.
    5. Wait 4 hours.
    6. Listen to Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here album.

It worked for me.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Man, gotta listen to Floyd sober. The stuff is incredible.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I've mentioned it here before, but Piper, Saucerful, More, Dark Side and other albums did crazy stuff to my mind when I was younger. I could've sworn I entered some 'other' state of mind through listening to those albums. I miss those experiences. I think they're what really got me into music.

Buddybud, Tuco, Chris M and 1 other person like this.
  21. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

I had a great time once listening to the '75 version of the Basement Tapes. It seemed absolutely appropriate: warm, friendly and FUNNY. I would imagine the Complete Basement Tapes might be even better for the "long haul".

footlooseman and Bruso like this.
  22. Monsterzero

Monsterzero Down at Dino's Bar & Grill

Personally,I always used psychedelic trance back in my tripping daze. I liked to keep it fairly slow,like under 120 bpm,without a ton of high pitched R2-D2 like sounds.
    I once traversed a red clay desert scape,with sun cracks in the ground,as I flew over them I was watching the patterns of the cracks which finally led me to a pyramid,went inside a small door at the top,which opened up onto a purple backlit slide...wildest trip I ever had. I cant even mention here what I was actually doing when the slide let me out ;) MDMA +Ketamine.

I particularly like this track,though there are many.
    Its worth noting I rarely listen to trance in a sober state. I much prefer rock and metal,but I cant get into music with lyrics when im on a trip.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    proedros, notesfrom, Chris M and 2 others like this.
  23. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Oh so tempting to talk about personal experience. Suffice it to say, for some there are natural psychedelic music experiences and induced psychedelic experiences and for some, they can be radically different, even for the same music- maybe in ways not expected or wanted.

For the naturally high or mildly lifted music experience I often will put on one song that comes to mind that I know will totally engage my thinking and let that song give me clues as to what to listen to next- basically creating a playlist in the moment as one song leads to another.

For the induced variety of experience, maybe no music. Maybe things like wind in the trees, the crackle of a fire, the rustling of leaves, the rush and sway of a breeze in a field grass, waves on the shore, rain tapping the roof, or the songs of birds.

rockinlazys likes this.
  24. Zeppelin fan

Zeppelin fan Forum Resident

trip to some bluegrass

25. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

I always found The Orb - adventures beyond the ultraworld to be excellent whilst coming down off acid. whilst high anything goes really, preferably stuff with a good vibe tho

altho contrary to this , once listened to exile on main street and my bedroom turned shades of sepia and the music went all wonky and creepy....

proedros, tedhead, acetboy and 3 others like this.