Breaking in my "Ruby" with Beethoven

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom B., Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom B.

Tom B. New Member Thread Starter

Greetings One & All,

I felt the need to continue the "breaking-in" of my new Benz Ruby cartridge today, so from about noon till dinner time I listened to as many Beethoven Piano Sonatas as I could. Whew...what a job, but somebody's gotta do it!!

I started out with Willie Kempff. I have all but one of his complete DGG SLPM mid-60's stereo cycle on "Tulip" labels.

1st....DG 138 939/ No 11, No 13, No 27
    2nd....DG 138 942/ No 17 "Storm", No 26 "Les Adieux, No 28

After listening to Kempff's Storm, I went directly to Sviatoslav Richter's Angel 35679 recording of ths same Sonata.......wow, big difference!!

Sticking with Richter, I played an RCA VICS 1427 of No. 23 "Appassionata" & No 12 "Funeral March".

I then grabbed a Philips 9500 899 of Alfred Brendel performing the "Appassionata" along with No 14 "Moonlight".

Then I just had to compare his "Moonlight" to that of Annie Fischer's on an Angel 35791.

Then came the Piano Sonata No 29 "Hammerklavier" performed by Christoph Eschenbach on DGG 2530 080 and Artur Schnabel on a Seraphim 1C-6066.

Then I really went wild and played No 8 "Pathetique" from a Columbia two-eye MS6945 by none other than Glenn Gould! After Glenn, I needed a rest, so I went back and finished the day with Richter once again with Sonata No 1 from another Angel release S-37266.

It was absolutely sublime to compare all the different approaches to these magnificent pieces of music.

The end result was clear however, I needed to obtain a few more Hammerklavier's. I tracked down the late 70's box set of Pollini's recordings of all the Beethoven late Sonatas (28-32), as well as an EMI reissue of Solomon's great early 50's performance. That should do the trick!!

Well, I'm up to 65 hours on the "Ruby". It sounds mighty fine indeed!

Tom B.

http://www.geocities.com/tjb49/Classical_Vinyl_Artwork.html [​IMG]

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Tom,

Different it what way? Do you like Richter's version better?

3. Tom B.

Steve,

Yes I do prefer Richter's pefromance of No 17 "Storm" to that of Kempff's. As an over all cycle, I consider Kempff's one of the most satisfying. When it comes to many indivdual sonata's however, Kempff can come up short. He lacks the power to convince the listener in several passages in No 17. Don't get me wrong, I still really appreciate Willie's performance........it's just the Richter's "other-worldly" power is a pure force of nature!!

Tom B.http://www.geocities.com/tjb49/Classical_Vinyl_Artwork.html

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

5. Humorem

Humorem New Member

My favorite Tchaicovsky Piano Concerto is Richter on DG and my favorite Beethoven Piano Concerto #1 is Richter on RCA. Both have AMAZING sound; both belong on any Superdisc list worthy of the name, especially the DG. I owe both these records to Robert Pincus. I owe 90% of my favorite classical recordings to Robert. He turned me on to the Steinberg Planets too.

And Steve knows that crazy Whitehall record of the Polovetsian Dances that Robert sold me very well. And that Ricci record on London. They're all from Robert!

TP

6. Tom B.

7. Humorem

Humorem New Member

That's it!

Which is the RCA Richter record with a line diagonally across the cover from corner to corner? Don't have one anymore to check. It's outstanding too. Maybe SH has one; he has a lot of old Dogs.
    TP

8. Tom B.

9. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Ah, but I see no picture of it on your website.

Still, it's wonderful. I put it up there with my other two faves.

TP

10. Tom B.

".....Ah, but I see no picture of it on your website. ......."

It's there!! You have to search for it though. I have various artists spread all over the place. It sort of forces people to look through all 26 pages (312 pic's). Just when you think you've seen them all........I suprise you with something!!

Tom B.http://www.geocities.com/tjb49/Classical_Vinyl_Artwork.html [​IMG]

11. Humorem

Humorem New Member

I did a search under Brahms and it didn't come up...
    TP

12. Dob

Dob New Member

Humorem/Tom/Steve/anyone,

Do you have any recommendations for Chopin (solo) piano music, such as ballades, scherzos, nocturnes, waltzes?

IMO, Beethoven's piano compositions fall far short of Chopin's (Schubert's, too), but don't get me started...

13. Tom B.

"......IMO, Beethoven's piano compositions fall far short of Chopin's (Schubert's, too), but don't get me started......"

DOB,

I'd have to humbly disagree with you about the Beethoven Sonatas. However, my favorite recording/performance of ANY piano sonata has to be Richter's miraculous recording of Schubert's D960 (No 21) on Eurodisc/Melodiya.

As far as Chopin is concerned........Lipatti Lipatti Lipatti......for the Waltzes....a MUST have!!

For the Preludes & Etudes, I seem to gravitate to either Argerich or Pollini. Of coarse, for a package deal, there's always Rubinstein.

Tom B.http://www.geocities.com/tjb49/Classical_Vinyl_Artwork.html[​IMG]

14. Dob

Dob New Member

Agreed on the Lipatti - it is one of the greatest piano performances EVER, of any music, not just of the Chopin waltzes. Pity about the sound, though (and Lipatti himself, who was dying of leukemia at the time).

I have the Rubinstein Nocturnes and am fairly satisfied with them. The sound could be better, but I can't complain. For the Preludes and Etudes (plus Ballades and Scherzos) I have the Ashkenazy (CD) sets, which have excellent sound, and the performances seem up to snuff (though I haven't really compared to anything else). Thanks for the Argerich and Pollini recommendations, I will investigate.

15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Hey y'all, keep posting those vintage LP covers, they RULE! :D

16. Tom B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.