Breaking News : Johnny Clegg has died.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by culabula, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I fell heads over heals in love with this song way back in my college radio DJ days. The love has never left.
    I just recently found a nice CD comp that I have to spin tonight in his honor.

RIP Johnny Clegg

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Actually it was The Riviera on 11/29/1988

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Just heard the news from a friend - sad to hear.

I've been a fan since I first heard Scatterlings of Africa on the local college radio in the early 80s. I prefer the Juluka years over the Savuka/solo years but he has a large and rewarding body of work for anyone not familiar.

My wife and I caught him live a couple years ago when he came through - his son opened up for him. Especially glad I didn't miss that now.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh, this is a little spooky. I just bought 3 of his CDs last week in a store! One was to replace my beaten-up copy of Third World Child. Neither of the other two had the song I was looking for though, but I will listen to them with interest regardless.

Sad news.

EG.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

6. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

I missed this a couple of weeks ago. Sad news.
    I was in Paris in late summer of '87 and Clegg's own remake of his earlier 80s single "Scatterlings of Africa" was either # 1 or in the Top 10 in France; you couldn't escape it, it was blaring out of every shop, car and radio station. A truly massive record in that country at the time. I prefer his original Juluka version but this later Savuka version was nearly equally as good. He had a run of 4 / 5 excellent albums which deserve proper remasters ('82's Scatterlings and '87's Third World Child are two of my favourite which still get occasional plays by me today.)

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I only just learned of his death today. A hugely influential figure, and not simply because of his music. It must have taken a fair amount of courage to perform with a multi-racial band in the dark days of South African Apartheid.

This one was brought to my attention recently - a bit more European sounding than many of his songs, but still showing that African influence.

Jarleboy and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.