Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets - What was the original release date?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobS, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobS

RobS Active Member Thread Starter

I've come here hoping someone can help me clear up what seems to be a common confusion. I am trying to find out exactly when Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets was first released - specifically, was it in late 1973 or early 1974?

Wikipedia lists a January 1974 release, and cites "Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography". AllMusic also lists January 1974.

I have seen a number of other sources, however, that list it as a 1973 album. Among others, this Discogs page lists a November 1973 release for the LP:
    Eno* - Here Come The Warm Jets

Can anybody shed any light on this inconsistency, or have better information?

Natural E likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I wouldn't believe a release date on All Music. It was filled in by the readers most likely who likely copied from another source. Older release information is more hearsay than factual. The same way Discogs does, except All Music doesn't have moderators or review boards to review inputted data. Discogs doesn't always get it right, but, at least it's vetted by a peer review system.

RobS likes this.
  3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Eric Tamm’s 1988 book Brian Eno: His Music And The Vertical Color Of Sound (published before the internet started spreading inaccuracies) gives the release year as 1973 (page 194 - see below***). This date is based on Brian Eno’s own list of his works published in his/Russell Mills’ 1986 book More Dark Than Shark.

However... the album appears to have been announced in the 23 February 1974 issue of Melody Maker and reviewed in the issue of 16 March 1974 (page 179), which suggests a rather later date.

***Mr. Tamm has generously made his entire book available online:
    https://monoskop.org/images/f/f1/Tamm_Eric_Brian_Eno_His_Music_and_the_Vertical_Color_of_Sound.pdf

RobS, SinnerSaint and eeglug like this.
  4. Jim Marlor

Jim Marlor Forum Resident

The Library of Congress archive states:

"In notice on album jacket: 1973; In notice on label: 1974"

Catalog of Copyright Entries

So, if this is correct, the original Island Records issue had contradictory copyright dates on its label and jacket.

If the sample received by the Library of Congress was indeed the first issue, this suggests that the LP was actually released in 1974 (but the jacket finalized in 1973, hence the earlier copyright date on that).

RobS likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

November ‘73 in the UK
    January ‘74 in the US on vinyl, although it was also released in late ‘73 on 8-track

Natural E likes this.
  6. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Correct conclusion. Here Come the Warm Jets was delayed in the UK and the US due to the OPEC oil embargo. By all indications the scheduled release was in November 1973 but on November 5th OPEC announced a 25% output cut and threatened an additional 5% cut. That played havoc with new releases as well as production of older albums. Not only did we have to wait in long lines to purchase gasoline, the record companies had difficulties obtaining sufficient amounts of vinyl.

I just went through the December 29, 1973 Melody Maker and there wasn't one word about the album, nor was it mentioned in an ad for "albums due soon." However, there was a news piece for November that reads, "Threat to rock's future - after vinyl shortages came increased paper shortages (record covers, etc.) and petrol shortages. Power cuts, a hardy annual, also loomed into view. A Merry Christmas it was certainly not going to be"... the emphasis theirs. During this period, there was a three-day workweek because of the oil shortage.

While January 1974 is generally accepted as the release date of the Eno album... the date also used in The Thrill of It All by David Buckley... evidence suggests that may have been a second scheduled release date that wasn't met, either.

For the UK, early or mid-March 1974 is probably accurate. In the US, Billboard mentions the album in the March 9, 1974 "FM Action Picks" column, but, this is intriguing, the magazine doesn't review the album until its July 27, 1974 issue.

Queen II was another album delayed due to the oil embargo and resultant conservation ruling.

Here's an older thread on the oil shortage and its impact on record production...
    How did the 1973/74 oil crisis effect vinyl records?

Also, while I am at it: during this period American record companies recycled vinyl to lessen the shortfall. This contributed to the ongoing debate about the audio superiority of British records over American editions.

Natural E, pulpo, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

I've added the artists name to the thread title.

Just a helpful suggestion to members to please include the artist name in your thread titles. Not everyone knows who recorded a particular album, so by including the artist name you are likely to get more views on the thread, it also helps to make future searches much easier.

jacethecrowl and RobS like this.
  8. RobS

RobS Active Member Thread Starter

Wow, what a phenomenal response - I wasn't expecting anyone to come through with such thorough and eagle-eyed sleuth work! If I count right, you've cross-referenced three different publications/archives to confirm your conclusion. Thanks so much for this answer. And thanks also to NumberEight and Jim Marlor for laying the groundwork!

george nadara and NumberEight like this.
  9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

funny was just listening to this album the past couple of evenings

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well researched. The quoted wikipedia 'Jan 1974' date cites this publication as its reference :
    Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography. Giunti. ISBN 88-09-21522-2

george nadara likes this.
  11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

It appears as though the recording date itself was in September of '73.
    That is according to several sources including Wikipedia. I usually
    go by those dates before the release date. I believe the studio dates
    most time are less controversial than the release dates due to export/
    import expediting, and what country is going to get the first rush release.
    Dear God I hope that makes some sort of sense, but I look at the recording
    as the creative date if I am inclined to take a peak at details. But in the
    end it is the release date that everybody remembers, including me.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

mr.datsun likes this.
  13. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Well, TG we have all electric albums now.

14. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Just found this photo and was reminded of this thread and the discussion of the 1973-1974 OPEC oil embargo and how it affected the music industry.

From Abbey Road: The Story of the World's Most Famous Recording Studios by Brian Southall, Peter Vince, and Allan Rouse...

[​IMG]

NumberEight and mr.datsun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.