Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks. That's an interesting version. The video is weird. The moving landscape makes her face seem to twist and distort at times.

2. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Just listened to this album for the first time in years a few days ago. I absolutely love it, a very diverse collection of timeless art pop songs. It has lots of charm and lots of great ideas. It shouldn't be so overlooked in Eno's catalogue, it's definitely one of his best

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think his vocals are fantastic on this song .Eno can Croon !

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Awesome album. Opening track predates late 70’s punk/post punk, Paw Paw could fit right in with the Talking Heads catalog. Baby’s On Fire is a total mind-melter. I love it, and I can’t believe the three vocal albums that followed are even better than this one; you wouldn’t think it could get better.

5. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

You could make an argument that Eno was The Artist of the 1970's due to his work with Roxy Music,solo career,basically inventing Ambient music and his involvement with Bowie,Talking Heads,Devo,Robert Fripp and Cluster.

6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

To me it is a brilliant, quirky pop album, which sat/sits nicely with my Hawkwind collection. His subsequent albums I could never get into - too arty/proggy. Side 2 of Low is also brilliant, but I never caught the Eno bug.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love, love, love it!

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Ah then you need Ambient 5: Music For Cleaning Out The Garage To... :wave:

9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

wrong way up is one of my favorite all time albums. surprised it does not get more props,

kendo, Dog Ear, zwolo and 2 others like this.
  10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

when the "warm jets" were pointed out to me years after owning the album i was a wee bit shocked!

11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i love all four of the "70's pop" records .my favorite is taking tiger mountain(by strategy). talking head made a couple of decent records as eno's backing band.

Mr Day likes this.
  12. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

That’s his Bryan Ferry impersonation ;)

conjotter, JulesDassin and tug_of_war like this.
  13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've been thinking about a better way to describe my feelings. I think Warm Jets is overly flamboyant (not that there's anything wrong with that!), as if he wanted to prove he's glam. Eno's "real" self is definitely there. I do enjoy it, but more as a clever construction.

After that, perhaps he felt he had got that out of his system. I enjoy the next 3 albums as more of a pure expression of his unfiltered ideas and feelings. I hope this makes more sense.

Max Florian likes this.
  14. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I recall the first time i heard it i thought it was very funny! I've had it for years along with the follow-up album.

15. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Percy Jones doing the fretless work.....ridiculous player.

16. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Someone should do an Eno tribute live band playing only songs from those 4 albums!

17. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Great album. Needle In The Camel's Eye is one of my favorite songs ever.
    As for Baby's On Fire I prefer the live version on the 801 album.

18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Not a favorite but it’s decent enough. My favorite Eno album is a toss-up between Another Green World and his collaboration with Harold Budd, Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror.

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Pun intended, presumably. ;)

20. bgart13

bgart13 Forum Resident

I’ve only got the original cd issue — how is the remaster? In fact, how is the sound of the original record compared to the cds?

21. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

THIS is a masterpiece (says me)

a total re-invention of pop music!

"proto-everything!"
    this album should be held in the same regard as Pet Sounds, Pepper and Trout Mask...

kendo, talkingleaf, Hi Five and 2 others like this.
  22. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

the 2004? digi-pac remaster was a straight transfer was it not?
    no mucking around...waveforms look identical

23. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

The UK 45 (and I presume some others) of King's Lead Hat is a different mix than the LP version. The Australian is not.

Mylene likes this.
  24. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

That’s right. Does anyone know if the KLH 7” mix is actually available anywhere other than on the scratchy old 1978 single?

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I do prefer the EG cd to the 2004 remaster, but I think I'm in a minority. I thought the earlier had more dynamic and felt truer to the vinyl . LP pressings seem to be a mixed bag, but worth finding a good one. There is a thread on this and I think some people were finding original uk presses were good while others were not.

bgart13 and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.