Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I still play it every few years. Songs from that and 'Taking Tiger...' regularly pop up on my ipod's 'shuffle'. Been in love with it since its week of release. Older work colleagues thought it was ****e!
    Funny though...... songs that I never really rated at first, 'Baby's On Fire' and 'Driving Me Backwards', 40 years later I'm enjoying a lot more.
    It is full of instant classics though. 'Seven Deadly Fins' should have been included.

2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Don't think I've ever spoken to a messenger of doom and destruction before.

Is that on your CV?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I'm with you. Like a fine wine, it has not only aged well, but might indeed have taken years to really appreciate.

Oh, that Fripp guitar work!

Joti Cover, Flippikat and Andy Smith like this.
  4. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I keep quiet about that bit, accentuate the positive'n'that. Unless applying for a job requiring dire news spreading, of course.

5. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

This album has been with me since 73/74? It and "The Seven Deadly Finns" 45 were real game changers for me, no more chart/pop music after hearing them! I only had the album on cassette initially, recorded in real mono from a mic in front of the family Dansette. Took a year or so to finally own the LP and it still sounds as innovative as ever. :)

6. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

You have some competition it would seem...

[​IMG]

:)

Blank Frank and Andy Smith like this.
  7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

When I hear this record, I feel like I'm hearing Eno invent the sound of 80's music, seven years early. Which is pretty cool.

But it's also more understandable, when I remember how he later produced a few bands whose sounds would help define the 1980's.

Man at C&A, oldjollymon and Galactus2 like this.
  8. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

oldjollymon and sekaer like this.
  9. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

I've had various copies,vinyl and CD, of this one since it was issued and still find it highly entertaining.
    Along with Taking Tiger Mountain an exceptional start to a solo career.

kendo likes this.
  10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Brian Eno demonstrates his intelligence by just showing up and speaking words that come out of his mouth. I never have found him arrogant or a show off. I don’t share some of his views and beliefs, but he doesn’t strike me as pretentious.

I-OD, Mr. Bewlay and Putrifiers II like this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I love Tiger Mountain and Before and After Science. Another Green World, less so. Have never heard Warm Jets.

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

[​IMG]

Eno had a cameo as a priest in Father Ted, hardly the actions of someone pretentious!

14. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

I got my (non-remastered) CD copy almost exactly 20 years ago.

"Cindy Tells Me" is pure Velvet Underground, even the backing vocals sound like Lou Reed :D

The non-remastered cd's were a bit more dynamic, but also sounded noisier.

I got the impression that he is one of the musicians that are easier to work with, and considering how many collaborators there have been it may be true.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

He’s the opposite of pretentious, he talks about very difficult ideas in an accessible, not pompous way

I-OD and Blank Frank like this.
  16. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

What an excellent point ! I have heard/read more than one musician say that they used to time their studio meal breaks around Monty Python (pre VCR of course),
    Jimmy Page being one (Roy Harper incorporated "it's your laugh!" in his epic `Burn The World' as this was one of Jimmy's favourite Python quotes)

dubious title likes this.
  17. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Thanks! Neat about the Harper quote, I'll have to listen for that now. Recall hearing about Bowie watching Python as well during studio breaks. For a time the Python influence was very apparent in Phil Collins' on stage goofiness.

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

On the subject of British musicians being influenced by British comedy, see also Bowie and Eno spending loads of time pretending to be Peter Cook and Dudley Moore during their times in the studio together, much to the bemusement of the US musicians in the band. Also Carlos Alomar remembers watching Bowie’s very early video tape copies of Fawlty Towers with David Bowie during the Low sessions. And later, Bowie was a huge fan of Ricky Gervais’ groundbreaking The Office.

And the links ran the other way too - without monetary backing from George Harrison the Pythons could never have made Life Of Brian, and the earlier Monty Python film, the Holy Grail, had financial input from Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin I believe.

19. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

"In the name of burning spirit
    the passenger on the planet
    the guinea pig chasing sunset
    to the last laugh he'll ever get hahahahahahaha

The last laugh
    Your laugh
    My laugh ??"

Saw Roy a few times when he'd just written this piece, and he explained the Page connection :)

20. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Go find a copy immediately (physical medium, download, stream, whatever) and bask in the brilliance of my theme tune!

21. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

My favorite is Plateaux of Mirror but this is a brilliant debut. On Some Far Away Beach is beautiful.

kendo and agn like this.
  22. dub_siq

dub_siq Forum Resident

Was listening to Jets the other week and realized Baby’s On Fire is a 3 1/2 minute Fripp solo with some bits stuck on each end. Not a complaint, BTW.

p.s. Not an album, but it kinda feels like one, the Fractal Zoom maxi-single has become one if my Eno go tos.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    kendo likes this.
  23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Some people (myself included) thought for years that it was only Fripp performing the solo, but some of it is also Paul Rudolph. I don't know which is which, but I should.

24. dub_siq

dub_siq Forum Resident

Whelp, I just learned somethin’ new.

25. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

Personally speaking, I love the album No Pussyfooting.

jwoverho and agn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.