BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thank you.
    I'm a lazy fella, aint I?

2. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

Some of the upcoming 33s are on Amazon with a release date of November 17.

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

..and in London, England - loads in Soho shops.

4. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

The new 33rpms are cut at normal speed, by Miles Showell from the same recent remasters, and pressed at Optimal.

sennj and ad180 like this.
  5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I haven't detected any dropouts on my copies of TTM, AGW, or BaAS. I agree w/ others who think some copies were affected by pressing errors.

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Listen again to The Great Pretender on side 2 of TTMBS. Major volume dropouts particularly at the beginning of the song.

These are still nice sets and I can live with a couple issues but definitely disappointing.

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

There are also noticeable dropouts on the first song of side 2. The rest of the album is not bad.

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Was that finally sorted out? Pressing error or flaky master?

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What's the packing like on the 33s ? Does Science have the proper folder with prints?

I can't find any mention of these online, yet – where did you see them?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Which copies do you have, though? 45s or 33s?

11. Billy Bird

I'm afraid I don't know any more than I've already mentioned. I asked Miles.

DeRosa likes this.
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks. I don't really know what that means, but I guess they are on the way. :)

13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I wonder why I haven't seen these at all in any of my local records shops (Amoeba, Rasputin, etc.).

14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I have the 45s.

15. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

I got the Warm Jets one, it does sound good to my ears (although, while I don't know much about the audiophile side of things, this 45rpm stuff does strike me as a bit of a gimmick) but I have no original copy to compare it to. If it had been about the same price to get original copies (which I always like to do) then I would have done, but I have never seen any in the record bins here and on discogs they are very pricey. It's annoying to have to keep swapping the sides on a record like Warm Jets, but if I can't find better versions then I will get the other reissues. Or I suppose I could just get later pressings off discogs from the later 70s or 80s.

16. Billy Bird

Miles Showell, the person who cut them, that I mentioned in the first post. They're not due out until Nov 17th, so a bit of a wait yet.

17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I've got the 45's of HCTWJ, Another Green World, and Before and After Science. All 3 have sections that show what I would say are the dropouts that have been discussed in this thread and my copy of BAAS is really noisy, but only on "Spider and I"! aaarrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!
    The dropouts on mine really aren't that bad, I didn't notice them until I was recording needle drops- I could hear them with the headphones I was using for monitoring, and the MR-2000's meters pretty clearly showed the drops as well.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes – now I see it. Thank-you.

Hmm. I presume the 33s will have the same problem.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not necessarily. Fingers crossed over here that the problem got addressed for the new cuts.

Norco74 likes this.
  20. Norco74

What problem? It’ only an instant loss of energy from the master tape. :rolleyes:

Yes that would be nice. I have the 4 on pre-order and undecided if I should cancel and wait for reviews to come in.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm always so scared to do that - you never know how big a run is.

Also, they're only $17 on Amazon, and I'm sure the price will go back up ... so I'll get them, audition them, and anything defective I'll send back.

22. Norco74

Was there a consensus on the root causes of these drop out? If they used the 2004 masters then what happened?

My 70’s Canadian copies are far from perfect but how better would be these new pressings is the question. Mostly better I would guess.

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Basically everywhere I assume :)

I can only speak to the three major Canadian cities I've been to in the last few months however.

Wonder if they will stock the 33's given the 45's are sitting there.

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

For the 33s they should go back to whatever masters Simon Heyworth made / used for the 2004 releases. Not only were there no audible tape problems, but he rectfied at least one. (Bad distortion on Sparrowfall - gone on the 2004).

25. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Maybe they’re busy flogging the bootlegs they’ve stocked for years? ESP Amoeba!

dbsea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.