BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Well, I ended up picking up a US 33 copy of TTM when I stumbled across it at the mall today. Chose it as I had listened to Before & After Science much more recently and thought Tiger Mountain would be ‘fresher’.
    First, complaints: doesn’t have a download code as I had been led to believe (must be a UK/Euro only deal, but it’s rather irrelevant to me, as a streaming music subscriber where I can listen to the 2004 remaster), and the jacket leaves a bit to be desired, it’s got okay construction (pretty standard major label mass-market reissue gatefold) and it’s not pixilated but the text is pretty blurry, though I can’t say how that compares to an original.
    The pressing quality however is thoroughly fantastic. Absolutely spotless and completely noise free out of the package, as I wish it always would be.
    The sound quality is has been reported previously, Miles’ deadwax signature, same dropouts - but I listen on speakers 90% of the time and I’m the kind of person who’s happy listening to cassettes so long as the general tone is pleasant and it isn’t clipped/loud, so with that in mind coupled with the scarcity of original copies here I find it acceptable.
    The bass is not at all too loud or boomy, if anything it’s pretty mild compared to the majority of modern pressings. Detail is excellent on most tracks, can definitely tell it’s pressed from files better than CD resolution but it’s also not very “analog” sounding, a little clinical and not particularly organic. Adding a bit more bass with tone controls does help.
    Overall though, for the price I’m just happy it’s not a Redbook-sourced crappy pressing. I can confidently say I can listen to it, enjoy it, and focus exclusively on the music.
    If AGW has a similar presentation I will be very happy (I have wanted an LP of that since I was 11, even have the ‘04 mini LP in a vain attempt at the same magic).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    NorthNY Mark likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Have you heard these albums on CD before? Nothing crappy about any of them as far as I am concerned (I have some original LPs, original CDs, the Eno Boxes, and DSD CD remasters).

Curious, does anyone thing there is any improvement in listening experience over previous CD releases?

Any opinions on why to pick these up given what has been previously released?

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  3. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Oh, the 2004 DSD CDs are indeed fantastic, not arguing that, and by “crappy pressing” I meant in regards to manufacturing quality. I mostly am happy these had some degree of effort put into their creation rather than being typical churned-out major label reissues like the Bowie individual LPs that have been everywhere for the last couple of years.
    And I’m of the opinion that I’d rather just listen to files than a literal 16/44 retail CD pressed to vinyl, though if they would have went back to the DSD sources for those CDs that probably would have been preferable to the dropouts.

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

That begs the question about why there have been no high res downloads to date for these recordings, DSD or other. Strange omission. I'd buy them.

5. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

One of many baffling trends that goes on in the music industry these days. Create high res transfers but then only release them on vinyl - makes no sense to me.

6. Amazon update for the 33 backorders is now January 20th

7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

100% no, as complete albums. Certain songs sound terrific.

100% yes if someone must have them on vinyl and cannot find or afford previous versions.

8. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

so are the US and UK versions different? Can't quite work it out!

9. the avant-guvnor

the avant-guvnor Well-Known Member

I think it's more US and EU.

Each EU 45rpm LP contains an Obi with Mastered at Abbey Road Studios, UMC/Virgin/EMI Records and Miles Abbey Road Room 30 etched in the run-out groove, along with the matrix numbers.

Hopefully, others will post the US 45rpm/33rpm and EU 33rpm info.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

IIRC, the downloads were only ever going to be part of the double 45 versions, and they're basically the mid-2000 remasters in file version.

---

OK, question. Since Miles also cut these, and they don't have the same dropouts, do you think he fixed the masters, or made different ones?

11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Here Comes the Warm Jets is the most like the first two Roxy albums.
    Another Green World is the most like Low and Heroes (especially Low).

Which is to say, get 'em all.

BlueSpeedway and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The 33 and 45 Tiger are the same master.

yamfox, BlueSpeedway and MadMelMon like this.
  13. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

All the more reason to go for the single discs, then (not to mention the tacit acknowledgement that they screwed up the double discs.)

14. BlueSpeedway

Yes. They all are. As I wrote a week ago when I opened two of the EU 33s: Miles and Abbey Road in the dead wax.

I only made an effort to get the damn things to help people out with 45 vs 33 etc comparisons. What’s the bloody point.

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

We appreciate the effort.

16. BlueSpeedway

You’re sadly in the minority. It’s increasingly become a badge of shame or a pathway to ignoredom to deeply listen to, impartially discuss, or criticise expensive 180g “audophile” vinyl around here. Never thought I’d see the day. On social media yes, but here.... :shake:

The online world is getting really f—ed.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I will be getting all the 33s to go with my set of 45s...will be interested to hear others thoughts on differences between the two as I am sure I will compare them myself.

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I think people DO appreciate your thoughts. Speaking personally, I've been at this forum for 15 years now. A good half of that time had me caring a lot about those very same issues that you discuss. But for the most part, I'm more focused on the music these days. What's weird for me is that my system is much better than it was 15 years ago!! :)

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No. It's not that the online world is getting f--ed.

It's that records are mass market again and there's been an influx of new forum members who aren't the hardcore audiophile crew. They're not here about the mastering - they're here because there simply isn't another online music forum as good as this one.

Unless you think that new members with a different perspective joining the forum is f--ed, in which case I don't know what to say. I doubt the new members are going to agree with that, as it's kinda elitist.

As far as a path to ignoredom goes, for me personally that gets saved for someone's been an ass.

20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

One more reason to introduce these”newbies” to the wonderful worlds of audiophilia then audiomania and finally OCD record collecting. Give the newbies a break...

Cassius likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

22. BlueSpeedway

Except the last time they were mass market, they tended not to have tape source faults, dropouts, chunks of songs missing, pointlessly overweight gimmick vinyl, and a huge price tag.

Criticism of the current era, of which this year’s Bowie and Eno reissues are examples, has nothing to do with the past history of records.

And it’s nothing to do with elitism either.

It’s to do with shoddy goods.

deadcoldfish and Norco74 like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just pray they won't release them as 78s next:laughup:

uzn007 likes this.
  24. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Didn't buy the 45rpm's due to reading here about all the abnormalities. Are the 33rpm's any better or still plagued with the same defects?

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

And thanks to all the contributors for their diligence in reviewing these releases. I am still undecided whether I will acquire any of these. So far it’s a nay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.