BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was only referring to the UK pressings. I'm in the UK and don't know any others.

If the German Roxy Music debut is worse than the UK I have it must be dismal! It's a UK first pressing too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I too bought a pristine early copy of the Island Roxy debut and found the pressing to be very dull...i'd grown up with an excellent Polydor pressing from about ten years later !

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was wondering if the Polydor is better, it doesn't look anywhere near as nice! I thought the sound might suffer due to adding Virginia Plain. I'd rather it wasn't there, even though it's a sublime single.

4. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

speaking of roxy...if ferry, phil, steve Wilson etc don't get that first album out in 5.1 i'm going to kill someone.

DHamilton, granata, Michael D and 2 others like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The EMI100 is very nice. Over saturated single sleeve but very good sound. Does the Polydor add "Virginia Plain"? I thought only US pressings included it?!

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Compared to the German Ariola Island the UK pink rim is a revelation. Since this is the way the UK original sounds I've always accepted it as "artistic decision". Or lack of experience. But definitely approved by the band. Compared to other 1972 albums like "Ziggy" or "The Slider" it does lack though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It might not do. I haven't looked at one in years. On the remastered CD, which I like the sound of, I don't like it being placed in between If There Was Something and 2HB. My two favourites on the album and I've always thought they sound great together.

The fully laminated gatefold sleeve on the original is a real beauty. One of my favourite album covers.

Beeb Fader and Neonbeam like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Neon. Not really – I think we're talking about a variety of apples here, not all known apples. :)

But that's interesting - you are the first to even say that the German ones are not as good as the UK.

Most people when talking pink-rims are still talking about the Uk pink-rims, I think. And they generally talk about the Uk pink-rims in the same hushed tones of reverence. But some here are saying the opposite and for me, my UK pink-rims of Roxy and Eno have not been particularly exciting. So, if there are good ones, they are maybe rarer than the bad ones.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Keep in mind that I grew up with German Pink Rim/ Ariola Roxys. And when I finally heard their UK counterparts I was stunned. In general if an album is a first pressing from the artist's home country I tend to accept the sonics as what the record was meant to sound like. And live with it....

mr.datsun and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I tend to insist on UK pressings for UK artists, it's a lot harder to stick with the home country thing for artists from outside the UK for me though. I used to have a German Ariola copy of Tanx by T-Rex with the poster. It sounded very nice. I replaced it with a UK which was a bit better but also because T-Rex have to have the T-Rex label!

11. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The UK reissue didn't have Virginia Plain on it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think I'll pick one up then.

Beeb Fader likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Internet etiquette. No offense intended but after all your posts on the subject, it just came across as meaning the exact opposite of what you say. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but I'm certainly not asking for or expecting your respect over the artwork and my feeling for it. It's kind of patronising. I rather you just said you don't care for it and that would be the end of it. The fact that you expressed less than zero interest in it should have told me to drop the subject right away. My fault. :)

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I use to but years of trying to replace old UK albums with better UK copies made me change.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Bear in mind that UK Island pink rims were pressed at different plants with different matrix numbers - I have two of the Roxy debut, one that has an EMI matrix far outshines the other, which I believe is a Pye pressing.

Early to mid 70's UK Virgin LPs were also pressed at both EMI and Pye - I have two copies of Phaedra by Tangerine Dream and again - the 'Pye' copy is duller sounding,

Man at C&A and Mr Bass like this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Can't wait to upgrade my cassettes and battered vinyl.

Here Come the Warm Jets - 9/10
    Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) - 10/10
    Another Green World - 10/10
    Before and After Science - 9/10

17. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

18. Neonbeam

Man, I wonder how many of us are living in a record store:whistle:

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I was right about to put in my pre orders and then I saw 2 x 45rpm so I decided to come here and complain. Here I am complaining: this sucks!

Cassius and Marble Index like this.
  20. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I've been practicing for this release by playing singles. Once you get used to jumping up after each song, an album spread over 4 12" sides doesn't seem like a problem at all. I'm hoping the music will sound even better with this spaciousness of 12" 45 rpm records.

21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I wish I can replace all 4 but on 45 rpm? Give me a break. This is killing the original release sequence. A definitive no buy for me. Hopefully this release will end up like the Peter Gabriel series release on 33rpm.

I had to replaced PG 3rd and 4th album overplayed original copies and never figured out why I should listen to these on 2 x 45 rpm release. I waited and waited and guess what, they re-released them last year on 33 rpm. Happy the man!

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

High res releases would have been better.

Honestly I don't understand why someone would want to listen to 2 songs and need to flip or change records. Madness.

There is no download code included with these right?

23. Papa Montgomery

Papa Montgomery Forum Resident

So has anyone pulled the trigger on these ENO reissues yet? All comments on the pressing & sound quality will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

-Andy

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

This is the main problem. By not starting with the original master tapes and doing this analog, it's a non-starter.

Imagine your local art museum touting that they are getting a Van Gogh retrospective. The exhibition will be getting the highest resolution displays possible, made from the best available sources. All will be printed on canvas using the best method of giclee.

Would you be good with that?

Cassius, Max Florian and Neonbeam like this.
  25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Because, potentially, music cut at 45rpm allows for great inner detail and HUGE dynamics. Furthermore, the quality near the label is close to the quality at the start of the side. 12" singles done well sound amazing.

You are in an audiophile forum. You should want to be exploring the best sound. If you want convenience, mp3s are a good way to go.

izgoblin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.