Brian Eno - Song by Song (& Album by Album) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Oct 31, 2021.

1. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

More volts!

My squelchy memory is all over the place, I had two or more different versions on bootleg cassette, then there's the bits strewn about, and I haven't spent much time with the official release.

Huh. I Fall Up sounds pretty good today. A little echo of the mid seventies Percy Jones tracks, and a throwback Fripp solo. @Jamsterdammer cites The Sheltering Sky. I flashed back to a key moment in my Fripp history. Watching the Japan 84 video, they're playing The Sheltering Sky. Fripp is soloing like crazy, hands a blur. And I couldn't figure out what piece of the soundscape he was making. Where's the guitar? And then I found it :bigeek:

Anyhoo, look forward to discovering the Squelch again.

2. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

In many ways I prefer My Squelchy Life to the album that replaced it, Nerve Net. For one thing, it’s arguably more fun and shows the playful side of Eno rather more than the darker, more worrying NN.
    I Fall Up is a good example. A cracking rhythm track, storming guitars, Fripp going nuts again with that trumpet guitar and a disarmingly loopy vocal from Brian. No idea why he is turning into a lanky housemaid, or cackling off to the Congo but I love it!
    And for a song that is very repetitive it’s strange but rather brilliant that it never gets boring.
    And just to cap it all off, there’s some terrific weird backwards effects on the vocals too. More volts!

3. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

I Fall Up

I agree that this sounds like it could be written by David Byrne. Probably more so than many of the songs on Everything That Will Happen Will Happen Today that Byrne did write!

For me it's an odd rhythm to start an album on. But, that's not a problem. Not every album should follow a formula.

For this album, I feel that quite a bit of it is similar to Eno's first batch of vocal albums and could fit onto one of those albums. Again, this isn't a bad thing, but it's perhaps a bit surprising given what Brian has said about now wanting to repeat himself and avoiding some contact with fans who might ask him when he is going to make another album like ....

We'll have time to discuss MSL in overview later, but this album has its own identity and it isn't just a rough mix/version of Nerve Net.

One thing that 'I Fall Up' does share with tracks from NN is, in my opinion, that it doesn't have a traditional verse/chorus structure, and the development is more subtle, but it doesn't get boring at any time.

Oh, and the lyrics are classic Eno. And the Fripp 'pin trumpet' solo is great too.

I seem to have gone off-piste the last few days - it's good to have some rest days, but better when they are planned, not accidental and unexpected.

I didn't post the lyrics for 'I Fall Up' either, so here they are.

I fall up!
    I'm dying of light this early
    It's all up!
    It's all up!

Walled up!
    Stepping into a dunky mermaid
    Walled up!
    Walled up!

More volts!
    I'm sucking the juice from the generator
    More volts!
    More volts!

More volts!
    "More suck at the duct" my dictu
    More volts!
    More volts!

Burn up!
    Turn into a lanky housemaid
    Burn up!
    Burn up!

It's all up!
    I'm living beyond the warnings
    It's all up!
    I fall up!

Sell up!
    I'm cackling off to the Congo
    Sell up!
    Sell up!

Give up!
    Find God in a big fat water-melon
    Give up!
    Give up!

More volts!
    I'm sucking the juice from the generator
    More volts!
    More volts!

More volts!
    "More suck at the duct" my dictu
    More volts!
    More volts!

William Gladstone likes this.
  4. HitAndRun

Thanks for the discussion everyone. Today's track is Not To Fail In The Harness, sometimes just called 'The Harness', solely performed by Brian Eno according to the credits.

Credits (from Discogs):

A2 Not To Fail In The Harness
    Instruments [All Instruments] – Brian Eno

Lyrics (from Genius Lyrics)

Will the rose in all their learning
    Turning brightness to day

Spur the horns of discerning
    Scout the world along the way

And in their firm terms of warning
    They return to the sea

And at the first sign of morning
    They beat on his disease

So they wail
    As their lies warn them

Not to fail in the harness
    Not to fall at the shore

They are lost where the robe is
    Sailors on southern more

And though they wail with the bonemen
    Farther there somewhere inside

It doesn't show nights are warning
    Beggars change so you'll burn

So they go
    There's no way through there to show
    In bar ways under

Not to fail in the harness
    Not to rage at the shore

Not to rail in the darkness
    When surrounded by roar

When to know there's a river
    Some of them walk
    Some of them fall

In the war

Note that since the next song in our order is 'My Squelchy Life' which we've already covered, I am planning to post both MSL (song) and 'Some Words' tomorrow.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  5. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Did Eno really go into a meeting with the Warner Bros executives and announce that he had to abort the release of My Squelchy Life because the scene had moved on, and the kids were no longer vibing with it (or words to that effect) or did Warners themselves decide not to release it?

HitAndRun and William Gladstone like this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

"Not To Fail In The Harness"

A bit plodding I must say, with little development throughout the song. Not as good as "I Fall Up". The "guitarish-synth" sound (for lack of a better expression) starting at the 4 minute mark is cool though.

7. brew ziggins

Not To Fail In The Harness

Vocal sounds like a stray from warm Jets, one that should have stayed on the cutting room floor. The whole thing sounds like an unfinished outtake, TBH.

Bottom shelf One Brain.

HitAndRun and William Gladstone like this.
  8. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

We have a Lakeland Terrier who is almost 16 years old and she has mobility problems and dementia. But I posted a video on YouTube when she was a puppy. It has a "My Squelchy Life" soundtrack lifted from Nerve Net.

The video was taken off for copyright violations, but now it's back.

9. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Not to Fail in the Harness - The vocals save this one 100%, and it's a very nice delivery that carries that sense of warped harmony he pulls off so well. It's not a bad song, but I don't care for the production approach, namely that BOOM BOP drum pattern or the distorted (distracting) guitar/synth that carries the entire song. There's some nice bass and other tasty bits going on underneath it all, but it loses me with the brashness of the forefront instrumentation, and the cool guitar solo is less effective because it's competing instead of contrasting or complimenting. This is similar to why I could/can never get into Bowie's Outside and Earthling in my 20s or today...just too in my face.

10. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Surprised there isn't more love for The Harness to be honest. I've always found it to be one of the strongest Squelchy songs. The synth sounds alone give the whole thing a terrific edge. Eno delivers a very strong vocal too, and the melody is memorable and almost singalongable - although, along with many of the songs from this period, I've never really nown what the full lyrics are, so it's fascinating to see them written out - thanks HitAndRun.
    Also I'd never seen the title listed as anything other than simply 'The Harness'. Where is the long title used?

11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Not Fail In The Harness. I bought my copy of the album from bleep.com as a lossless download and that's how the title is listed. A decent track. The solo is a cool contrast and I dig the timbre of it.It's a little disappointing that it just fades out - it deserves a more interesting send off.

12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Thanks for the Bleep info - yes I agree it fades all too quickly, which is such a shame.

HitAndRun and eeglug like this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

As I understand it, the album was all set for release and scheduled (as I recall, it was actually available for pre-order from stores like Sister Ray), and then at the last minute Warners arbitrarily postponed the release for a year or more. Eno's response was "in a year's time, I'll want to release a different album" (i.e. the new music he was already working on), so he binned My Squelchy Life and moved on to Nerve Net, and presumably sent a clear message to the execs that he didn't appreciate being d!cked around.

In short, I think the pretence was that Eno was no longer vibing with the album, not the kids, but I think it was much more a record company politics manoeuvre on his part.

Oh, and how gorgeous and majestic is 'Not to Fall in the Harness'? 5/5

For the first couple of decades of its public life, this song went under the name 'Tutti Forgetti', even though that title belongs to a completely different song on the album, thanks to its inclusion on this Warner Brothers promo CD:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

On the actual album:
    [​IMG]

15. HitAndRun

Not To Fail In The Harness

I'm not sure about this track. I think I need more time with it.

It's interesting that it's a song with a focal which reminds me a great deal of songs on HCtWJ and TTM(BS). However, it does sound slightly a retrograde step given what he was doing at the time and since 1973/1974.

The synth solo is good and interesting.

The overall feeling is that I like this song, but it sounds a little like things that Brian has done before, but done slightly better. Comparison can make something that is objectively good appear not so good.

Listening to Nerve Net for the first time and even now makes it sound fresh and new to me. The songs on MSL are less fresh and new on average and this is perhaps the least groundbreaking for Brian on this album. Even the lyrics - they are good, but I feel that 1973/74 Eno would have written an even more bonkers story for the lyrics.

'Tis good, but I'm interested in moving on to the next track. Both now in the thread, and also when listening in real life. I wouldn't skip this track, just a forward focus.

William Gladstone and richard a like this.
  16. HitAndRun

Thanks for the discussion everyone. As we've already covered the song 'My Squelchy Life', today we will cover the next two tracks. So, My Squelchy Life and Some Words. I don't have the credits, only having the original Nerve Net and the MSL songs on an album I bought in the 90s that ... perhaps I shouldn't mention. I found 'I Fall Up' on the ASCAP site, but either I don't know how to drive their search or otherwise I can't find these tracks. MSL is on Nerve Net, all of the track of which are sole writes by Brian.

I'll post 'Some Words' first so that the video is featured.

Personnel (from Discogs):

Bass – Romeo Williams
    Idiophone [Euphonia] – Roger Eno
    Keyboards [Key Percussion] – Benmont Tench
    Violin [7 Violins] – Nell Catchpole
    Voice, Organ [Farfalla Organs], Double Bass [String Bass], Horn [Foghorn], Piano [Hysterical Cascade Piano] – Brian Eno

Lyrics (from Genius lyrics).

Words, but nothing clear
    What channel are you on?
    It's hard to hear
    You speak to the world
    From such a feeble system;
    So... far away

The thought, not falling
    Just drifting in the early morning
    You pass from the world
    Out to the Solar System
    So... far away
    So... far away

Those who have already discussed MSL - feel free to discuss again or ignore.

My Squelchy Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA19sgZpfTM

Credits (from Discogs):

Bass [Spring Bass] – Romeo Williams
    Drums [Kick] – Sugarfoot Moffett*
    Guitar, Synthesizer – Brian Eno
    Keyboards [Key Percussion] – Benmont Tench
    Mixed By [Mix] – Markus Dravs

Lyrics (from Genius Lyrics):

My squelchy life
    My squelchy life
    My squelchy life
    Waits around corners
    Nasty wife by sticky gap
    My squelchy life
    Follows in soft shoes
    It's catching up
    My squelchy life
    Stands there grinning
    Big white teeth, hairy white fingers (Anything, Anything)
    I'll give it anything to go away, anything
    Anything, anything, anything, anything, anything, anything
    My squelchy life
    My squelchy life
    My squelchy life
    My squelchy life

Lyrics are from the Nerve Net version. While the mixes are different, I'm not really noticing much different. I hope the lyrics are the same.

In terms of plus alpha, Benmont Tench, keyboardist of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers appears on both albums but perhaps he's a bit well known for it to be interesting to give even a tiny bio. But: Benmont Tench - Wikipedia

This interview with bassist Romeo Williams mentions Brian in a list of artists that he has worked with:

You Got to Breathe It— The Romeo Williams Interview

[​IMG]

brew ziggins and richard a like this.
  17. Jamsterdammer

"Some Words"

This is quite lovely. Could have been on Before and After Science.

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

MSL is slightly different from the eventual NN version, missing some of the spoken lines. Otherwise it's pretty much the same, musically.

Some Words is beautiful - the gradual layering is superb, Nell Catchpole's strings are really pretty, I find Brian's vocals surprisingly emotional, and that rippling piano is just gorgeous. In both mood, and sound, it reminds me slightly of The Belldog, and aside from the obvious nineties digital recording techniques, Jamsterdammer is spot on - this is a song that could have fitted right into Eno's late seventies canon. A truly lovely track.

19. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Some Words - A magnificent song. This is what Wrong Way Up could have been on more than a couple of occasions without those you-know-whats hampering the overall sound. Nice vocal delivery, but post vocals is where it's at, with all those keys building and shifting about. A top notch song.

20. brew ziggins

Some Words: Mostly dig. One sonic component, I think its the 'key percussion', has a bit of that dated Nerve Net post new wave (post post new wave?) sound. And the lyrics aren't quite up to Eno snuff, a shade too on the nose. Otherwise, lovely, very close to greatness.

MSL: huh. Sounds pretty good this morning. While there is something offputtingly stilted, mechanical, about the rhythm, it is mostly lightfooted. Really interesting soundscape. Hadn't quite grokked that before, cuz I have historically been bugged by that rhythm. Excuse me, I need to go play this on the big boy rig.

21. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Some Words. Totally agree that it could be on Before & After Science or Another Green World. It's lovely; gives you faith that the old Eno is still in there somewhere.

22. HitAndRun

Some Words

I agree that this shows a bit of the old Eno. The melody is really nice indeed. While melodically I agree that it could fit on AGW or B&AS, I feel that the arrangement places it more on Wrong Way Up. A bit.

The overdubbed violin section makes me think of the Portsmouth Symfonia, except that they are played a lot better. The arrangement is similar, but the sound quite different.

The long instrumental section at the end is lovely. Nothing in this song is sonically challenging. It's a nice melodic song that a wide range of people could love. A pity is wasn't all that available for a while. But, it is now.

My Squelchy Life

I'm not listening to the tracks analytically enough to really spot the differences between the NN version and this. I'll just mention that I think that in the context of the album MSL, this track contrasts well with those around it, and it really adds up to a varied album with sonic twists and turns that will neer (I guess) bore the listener.

23. HitAndRun

Thanks for the discussion everyone. Today's track is Tutti Forgetti.

Personnel (from Wikipedia):

Effects [Drum Treatments], Mixed By [Mix], Voice [Additional Voice] – Markus Dravs
    Guitar [Guitars], Drum Programming [Drum Program], Keyboards – Brian Eno

Lyrics (from Enoweb):

I forgot everything.
    Everything.
    I forgot my whites.
    I forgot my preferences.
    I forgot my friends.
    I forgot my arguments.
    I forgot everything pertaining to me, or my person, or any details, extensions, thereof. Or any proposed detail, or extensions, thereof. And all damages, scars, dents, and permutations resultant therefrom.

(Too much)

I forgot everything.
    I forgot everything.
    I forgot my sexual healing.
    I forgot my dog.
    I forgot my evidence.
    I forgot all my teeth.
    I forgot my laughing.
    I forgot everything.
    My clothes, my whole wardrobe down to the last shoelace.

(Good enough) [EnoWeb hears "Not enough" here]

I forgot everything.
    I forgot everything.
    Everything.
    Everything.
    I forgot my every pimple, scar, minor abrasion, burn, rope, blood, steel, hair, teeth, odd skin, scalp, will, mother, salt, hurts, failings, blunders, blotched, burnings, the family after axiom.

(Just right)

Everything.
    I forgot everything.
    Oh everything.
    I forgot everything.
    Everything.

24. Jamsterdammer

"Tutti Forgetti"

If you mix Yello's "Daily Disco" with Radiohead's "Fitter Happier" and give it a David Byrne vibe, you get something like this. A bit monotonous, but that's the point of the song.

25. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

It's Eno's mildly panicked but oh-so English delivery that I find so funny here. He sounds worried but in such a reserved, peculiarly buttoned up way. And the list of things he's forgotten is terrific, so many silly things - "I forgot all my teeth"!
    And musicially it's weirdly frantic, but so very controlled too. A great little track, showing a very different side to Eno.