Brian Eno - Song by Song (& Album by Album) Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Oct 31, 2021.

1. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I'm not sure it was, but there are other threads on this forum that do compare the DSD releases from the mid 2000s to the original CDs. I think the early albums have been issued on CD just twice.

TheSeldomSeenKid and HitAndRun like this.
  2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Bump :angel:

For you with Amazon Prime Video - worth a watch. Sorry if posted previously.

Brian Eno - 1971-1977: The Man Who Fell To Earth

This documentary film - the first ever about Eno - explores his life, career and music between the years 1971 & 1977, the period that some view as his golden age. Featuring numerous exclusive interviews, contributions from a range of musicians, writers, collaborators and friends - plus performance and studio film and an abundance of the most exceptional music ever created.

3. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I saw in the latest Mojo that an authorised documentary about Eno is coming in 2023. It is by Gary Hustwit, who was behind the RAMS film for which Eno provided a soundtrack.

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I hadn't heard it when it was covered earlier in the thread but I really like "The Shutov Assembly", which no-one else seemed to rate much!

Max Florian, vcpj and Amnion like this.
  5. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Me too. I've listened to it countless times.

Max Florian and vcpj like this.
  6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So I just listened through the original EG nimbus disc of 801Live, as well as the remastered Cd with the two extra tracks. If you remove the extra tracks from the remaster cd, it runs about 80 seconds shorter than the original cd release. Anybody have any idea what that extra 1 min 20 sec of music entails and why it’s missing?​

7. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

801 Live - Wikipedia
    The difference in times between the 1999 and 2009 release is noticeable, across the full track-list.
    I cannot see any mention of speed issues in the 2009 artwork.
    Did they discover it was mastered slow and restored the correct speed in 2009?

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I was referring to the 1980’s disc vs. the 1999 remaster. As far as I know, the 2009 disc isn’t any longer than the 1999 issue unless you count 5 or 10 seconds.

9. jcarr73729

1988 EGCD26 running time 46:37 minutes
    2009 EXPCD3R disc 1 running time excluding extra tracks 46:23 minutes (55:52 minutes including all tracks)
    The difference of 14 seconds can be explained by the longer fade-in on the original version
    I do not have a rip of my 1999 EXVP16CD and have no wish to search through the boxes for it, however you state the 1999 and 2009 are close enough, so will my 1988 versus 2009 help?

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

1999 EXVP 16CD running time 45:30 minutes (56:00 minutes including all tracks)

So……. 1 min 7 sec difference from 1988 EGCD

11. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I don’t have it, but isn’t that the version that mistakenly fades out Third Uncle? I remember being quite active on Manzanera’s website when it was new around then, and there was quite a fuss. If I remember correctly an over zealous engineer faded out Third Uncle as he thought the abrupt ending sounded wrong. Not sure if it was faded out a whole minute early though.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes that’s the one, but it was only faded 3 sec early.

13. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Ahhh ok. That doesn’t explain the missing minute!

yesstiles likes this.
  14. jcarr73729

My apologies, my post #4534 above is incorrect, I re-checked the 1988 and 2009 versions:
    1988 EGCD26 running time 46:37 minutes
    2009 EXPCD3R disc 1 running time excluding extra tracks 45:26 minutes (55:52 minutes including all tracks)
    Just replayed both, and the 2009 version definitely plays faster.

In summary, the vinyl, 1988 CD and 1999 CD all have similar times on the original 10 tracks, gave or take some adjustments to the starts and ends, but the 2009 plays faster and shorter.
    I guess I need to dig out my 1999 rip it, and dump the rip of the 2009 first disc.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No, the 1999 is the same as the 2009 except for the three second early fade on the last track.

16. jcarr73729

I've seen two vinyl rips on the web timed at 46:24 and 46:30.
    1988 CD is 46:37, but those extra seconds are just run-in and run-off, and my guess is they used the vinyl masters.
    My 2009 (and 1999 is the same :thumbsup:) definitely runs fast compared to the 1988 CD.

I cannot find any internet searches about the relative speed of the 1999 and 2009 re-mastered versions versus older versions.
    The only gripes I found were the clumsy insertion of the two extra tracks and the 'Third Uncle' ending.

17. Remember when this album came out. There was a bit of a buzz, and then nothing. She falls nicely in the Kate Bush 80s electronic melodic tradition. If she was interest she could have reached wider. Language would not have been a problem at that point.

Max Florian likes this.
  18. Alan Bumstead

Alan Bumstead Forum Resident

I've spent a lifetime with this album. I guess cutting and pasting my analysis from a blog post into a post here would be lame, so I'll just provide a link.
    Laurie Anderson, Bright Red, 1994

Max Florian likes this.
  19. DA FURIOUS READER

DA FURIOUS READER Well-Known Member

I apologize, but I´ve just fnd out this thread and can´t resist the temptation of writing a short review of Eno´s last work.

At first, I found foreverandevernomore to be more of the same. But then the album began to grow on me. Not for the music, beautiful but nothing new. But for the vocal work (he seems to be possesed by the spectre of Scott Walker), which is a big step forward from "The ship", and the lyrics, which are my favorites among all his albums. It´s curious to see the coincidence between Eno and Cale in their last works, full of concern of the state of the things in this asylum called "World". But I think Cale wins here. The music in "Mercy" is more inventive and compelling than the tapestry in "foreverandevernomore".

Anyhow, I love both albums, and I think that thanks to the superb vocals and lyrics, what could have been just one more album by Eno has become a essential work. For me is in my Top 5 Eno works (next to "Taking tiger mountain (by strategy)", "Another green world", "Apollo" and "Another day on Earth")

My only complaint is the booklet, which is not just printed in paper of bad quality, but doesn´t include the lyrics or the wonderful manifiesto he wrote when he announced the releasing of the album. Just some horrid and useless diagrams.

Now waiting for a bluray of the Athens concert. Keep my fingers crossed.

Max Florian and richard a like this.
  20. Berkson Here

Berkson Here Veni, vidi, vici

I haven't heard the whole album yet but the tracks I've heard do seem to be influenced by Scott Walker, vocally. Not that Eno's voice is as good as Scott's but it seems he's trying something different.

21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Let's keep this thread alive with periodic updates.

Here are some stray Eno tracks released last year, for those playing along at home:

Lago Escondido - Brian Eno / Samuel Aguilar: An ambient-esque piano-based single.

Amnion likes this.
  22. Summer of Malcontent

Epica Extension - Jean-Michel Jarre with Brian Eno: Another single, which sounds pretty much how what you'd think a collaboration of the two gents would. Warning: contains beats.

23. Summer of Malcontent

Ghost Throat - Ebe Oke featuring Brian Eno: From the Species album. Has kind of an On Land vibe, with heavily treated vocals (vocals by Oke; treatments by Eno). Ebe Oke worked witjh Eno and Laurie Anderson on the Dokument 2 album a few years back.

24. Summer of Malcontent

Furthermore:

Eno's great new song from last year's Earth / Percent limited digital release, 'Lines in the Sand', is getting a physical release, backed by an alternative version (one version has music by Eno, the other by Hot Chip). You can order it here:
    Line In The Sand (Hot Chip x Brian Eno x goddess), by EarthPercent
    Physical release only, on bioplastic.

And I just discovered that digital singles were released from both Lux and Reflection: four minute extracts from much longer pieces. File in the curio bin alongside the Music for Installations digital single (an edit of 'Kazakhstan'). All are available on iTunes.

25. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Me too :agree:
    Brian Eno and Roger Eno have been recording together since 1983. This unique musical event not only sees the two brothers performing live together for the first time but is one of the very rare occasions that Brian Eno has ever performed live in front of an audience. In front of a sell-out crowd and against a backdrop of spectacular images being projected onto the stones of the Odeon of Herodes Atticus amphitheater, Brian and Roger perform atmospheric musical landscapes from legendary productions that include ambient records, television soundtracks, and film scores.